Heretical Thoughts

Reaction score
I'm a pilot AND a UAV operator so I'm expecting flack from BOTH SIDES!

Twenty yrs ago, when Steve Jobs formulated the moniker Think Different
the normal “ly” ending was dropped . . .to make a point. . . I assume.

From Robin Williams portrayal in Dead Poet’s Society
“We must constantly look at things in a different way.
Just when you think you know something, you must look at it in a different way.
Even though it may seem silly or wrong, you must try. Dare to strike out and find new ground.”

“Despite what anyone might tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”

- - - - - - - - - CRITICAL THINKING APPLIED TO UAVs DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "HERESY" - - - - - - - -

Normalizing UAVs as “aircraft” attributes a false sense of equivalency, so rules and procedures applied to UAVs become distorted in order to fit into existing norms and procedures.

UAVs are substantially different from manned aircraft.

Any aircraft can be made into a UAV but a 25kg UAV cannot be manned. We are not talking about military drones here. We are trying to regulate small airborne sensors (largely cameras) or small-packet delivery systems.

UAVs are not “Flown” but rather their auto-pilot is “directed” by an operator.
Several on-board computers are managing controllers that do the actual flying.

There are no “Pilots” on board. There are only “Operators” on the ground.
UAV Operators may think of themselves as pilots but they are at best . .
“skilled operators of an airborne auto-pilot.”

The aviation community should acknowledge that, and so should the UAV community.

No need to diminish an operator’s skills, knowledge or abilities but let’s acknowledge the reality of what is going on and govern them accordingly. Rather than have the new rules driven by existing aviation thinking. Let’s THINK DIFFERENT and regulate UAVs and their operating environment with more CRITICAL THINKING right from the start.

I also am a pilot, so I must consider the difference between the manned AC and the RC AC.
All manned AC must be given as much courtesy as possible and given their assigned air space.
We might lose an RC AC, but that loss is small compared to the loss of a passenger aircraft.
Regulations are in place allow us all to participate in the activities we love. Let's all accept our place in the air, regulate ourselves and keep the FAA out of our sport.
BQ

Funny, my certificate does not say Remote Skilled Operator in Command.
Yes but it should . . . You can't drive a ship with that license just because it says "pilot". Words matter! . . or rules and regs are meaningless. . . how about OIC Operator in Command . . does that sound better?

I also am a pilot, so I must consider the difference between the manned AC and the RC AC.
All manned AC must be given as much courtesy as possible and given their assigned air space.
We might lose an RC AC, but that loss is small compared to the loss of a passenger aircraft.
Regulations are in place allow us all to participate in the activities we love. Let's all accept our place in the air, regulate ourselves and keep the FAA out of our sport.
BQ
That's pretty rational thought if you ask me . . now let's find the right WORDS to define the new regulations clearly and unambiguously.

Seems you have normalized or "equivalized" all UAVs.

I have fixed wing and CP-helicopter UAVs which absolutely require me to 'pilot' them. No auto-pilot equipment involved.

Reactions: David Cooke
I'm a pilot AND a UAV operator so I'm expecting flack from BOTH SIDES!

Twenty yrs ago, when Steve Jobs formulated the moniker Think Different
the normal “ly” ending was dropped . . .to make a point. . . I assume.

From Robin Williams portrayal in Dead Poet’s Society
“We must constantly look at things in a different way.
Just when you think you know something, you must look at it in a different way.
Even though it may seem silly or wrong, you must try. Dare to strike out and find new ground.”

“Despite what anyone might tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”

- - - - - - - - - CRITICAL THINKING APPLIED TO UAVs DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "HERESY" - - - - - - - -

Normalizing UAVs as “aircraft” attributes a false sense of equivalency, so rules and procedures applied to UAVs become distorted in order to fit into existing norms and procedures.

UAVs are substantially different from manned aircraft.

Any aircraft can be made into a UAV but a 25kg UAV cannot be manned. We are not talking about military drones here. We are trying to regulate small airborne sensors (largely cameras) or small-packet delivery systems.

UAVs are not “Flown” but rather their auto-pilot is “directed” by an operator.
Several on-board computers are managing controllers that do the actual flying.

There are no “Pilots” on board. There are only “Operators” on the ground.
UAV Operators may think of themselves as pilots but they are at best . .
“skilled operators of an airborne auto-pilot.”

The aviation community should acknowledge that, and so should the UAV community.

No need to diminish an operator’s skills, knowledge or abilities but let’s acknowledge the reality of what is going on and govern them accordingly. Rather than have the new rules driven by existing aviation thinking. Let’s THINK DIFFERENT and regulate UAVs and their operating environment with more CRITICAL THINKING right from the start.
I like your thinking.

There is a great difference between flying physically and through remote control.
It takes a lot of time, money, hard work to get your Pilot's Certificate. Just because you can fly RC doesn't mean you are qualified to fly a Cessna.
BQ
Yes, as an inactive PPL holder I agree. It also takes much the same to learn to fly R/C aircraft and helis compared to flying a Phantom.

Last edited:
Ship operators are often called pilots too. As in "we need a pilot to guide us into port." So there.

Oxford dictionary defines a pilot as: a person who operates the flying controls of an aircraft.

But as with many words there are multiple and evolving definitions.

If you are not physically flying a plane with hands and feet with the lives of you, your passengers and those on the ground as your personal responsibility, then you are not a pilot.
BQ

Oxford dictionary defines a pilot as: a person who operates the flying controls of an aircraft.

But as with many words there are multiple and evolving definitions.
Very true . . . and just as variable is the definition of "aircraft"
noun, plural aircraft.
any machine supported for flight in the air by buoyancy or by the dynamic action of air on its surfaces, especially powered airplanes, gliders, and helicopters.
No mention of drones or UAV's so maybe the definition is out of date? . . given current technology. Maybe it's time to differentiate UAV from airplanes so they are not treated like them in outdated rules and regulations

The majority, if not all RC pilots have crashed numerous times. The majority of certified pilots have not crashed a single time.

Very true . . . and just as variable is the definition of "aircraft"
noun, plural aircraft.
any machine supported for flight in the air by buoyancy or by the dynamic action of air on its surfaces, especially powered airplanes, gliders, and helicopters.
No mention of drones or UAV's so maybe the definition is out of date? . . given current technology. Maybe it's time to differentiate UAV from airplanes so they are not treated like them in outdated rules and regulations

Definition is not out of date IMO. It seems all encompassing to me.

How is an Drone, UAV, SUAS, UAS not an aircraft?
Blimps, Dirigibles, Zeppelins, Hot air balloons are.

You may be being too pedantic.

But at any rate define as you wish.
It's not a problem for me.

Everyone on this site is nuts, think they are legal experts/lawyers & have way too much free time.

Reactions: Floyd
Everyone on this site is nuts, think they are legal experts/lawyers & have way too much free time.

It's a discussion forum.
However others just like to, well, your name is perfect.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl