Flight at General Aviation Uncontrolled airports

Reaction score
Ok fellow "Droners" I am putting out a call for input and Help. Most of the work for which I purchased my DJI Mavic is done on and around the immediate area of General Aviation airports in what is known as "Class G" airspace. FAA Advisory Circular 90-66B; part 9.2.1 specifically states that drone operators DO NOT REQUIRE permission or authorization to operate in Class G airspace at non-towered airports or airports with part-time towers that are not in operation. However the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all "manned" aircraft and not hinder their operations. Part 107/2 makes a similar statement.
When I try to fly my Mavic at the uncontrolled airports at which I have been asked to fly I can sometimes obtain a temporary code to allow me to fly for brief periods of time but more often that not this does not work. DJI states in their procedures that you can apply for an unlock license and send written documentation verifying that you have permission and they will grant you a temporary operating license to fly. My point is that our FAA does NOT require this and DJI should not regulate airspace over which they have no right or authority to do so.
I have had no luck in getting DJI to respond to my complaints even when I send them copies of and reference to the documentation mentioned above. I find that I can not reliably use the DJI drone to do my work if I can not depend on me ability to fly it when needed.
Is there anyone out there who has encountered this problem and if so, have you found a solution that I can use to allow me to fly my drone where and when I need to???
Please respond to this thread or to me directly at [email protected]

What color does the area you want to fly in show on the DJI self unlocking page?

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Most all of the "airports" at which I work are also airports into which I fly. Many of them are marked in red by "Airmaps" who is, I understand, the organization who defines the various airspace as cautionairy or "restricted". My issue is that I, as a drone operator, can fly in what Airmaps and DJI classify as restricted airspace in the uncontrolled airports.

Have
Most all of the "airports" at which I work are also airports into which I fly. Many of them are marked in red by "Airmaps" who is, I understand, the organization who defines the various airspace as cautionairy or "restricted". My issue is that I, as a drone operator, can fly in what Airmaps and DJI classify as restricted airspace in the uncontrolled airports.

To unlock some areas you have to use the DJI custom or self unlocking online. Option 2, when you get to an area and see a red/yellow no fly zone warning on your app do you follow the prompts after trying to start the motors? Typically if it is not a restricted area and after trying to start the motors a pop up will show giving you options to self unlock by checking a couple of squares (very hard to see on an iPad). You must be connected to wifi via you device or tether to complete this operation.

Have

To unlock some areas you have to use the DJI custom or self unlocking online. Option 2, when you get to an area and see a red/yellow no fly zone warning on your app do you follow the prompts after trying to start the motors? Typically if it is not a restricted area and after trying to start the motors a pop up will show giving you options to self unlock by checking a couple of squares (very hard to see on an iPad). You must be connected to wifi via you device or tether to complete this operation.
I have tried their unlocking procedures and the rarely work at the rural airports. I can not depend on them to work and some of the airports to which I go have marginal internet access.
The point is that DJI does NOT have the authority or right to determine where I can or can not fly. That is the responsibility of the FAA and the FAA has said that drones CAN operate in ALL Class G airspace. I am just trying to find a reliable way to fly when I need to. If I can not do it with the Mavic because of DJI's policies that I will have to find another drone that does not try to regulate airspace over which that have no authority. DJI is NOT big brother...

Reactions: Hoss

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20