Commercial Drone Pilot Required To Have Radio

First, thank you for posting the language you were citing. It's important to be on the same page when discussing such things.

Second, your need to invoke the logical fallacy of ad hominems severely hobbles your argument(s). If you don't have the respect for others and patience to engage in a chat-forum discussion, then why do so?

Your self-described lack of patience may contribute to your broad interpretation of the language.

So let's discuss your statement which first drew my attention:
"Just so you know in any emergency anyone can get on any frequency and report it! Faa or Police or Fire Channel "

Now let's compare that to CFR49 ss. 97.403:
"No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

Compare your term "anyone" to the CFR's term "amateur station". Do you not make a distinction between the two? I do and it significantly reduces those persons who can do what you claim.

In reading further we see the text:
"any means of radio communication at its disposal ".

Fine, however the likely hood of an amateur operator having trunked computer controlled digital or commercial broadcast equipment at their 'disposal" is unlikely nor do I interpret the statute granting authorization to operate equipment outside their license.

Finally, here's one such article which sums up the role of Hams during NIMS type incidents:
Ham Radio in Emergency Operations

I hope this better makes my points that not just anyone can operate on any channel/frequency without license or outside their license.

Hams do play an important role during emergencies but it is to supplant communications not replace Public Safety systems or allow them to be 'taken over". This has helped the community retain precious bandwidth with ever increasing demand by new technologies and industries.

Cheers!

What ever, just so you know I Licensed the First Commercial Radio Stationed on any Military Installation in the World at Fort Chaffee Arkansas. in 1975. So Yeah I know what I'm doing....

LOL..... You must be a Democrat...… Guess what, I can also hack into your Electric Meter....raise your rates or lower them or turn you Service OFF!!!! I invented the smart meter!!! lol.....please do your home work!! if I need to notify the Tower of a situation I will...you can sit on your *** and do nothing!!

Nice to 'meet' you... Theodore!

In 1972, Theodore Paraskevakos, while working with Boeing in Huntsville, Alabama, developed a sensor monitoring system that used digital transmission for security, fire, and medical alarm systems as well as meter reading capabilities. This technology was a spin-off from the automatic telephone line identification system, now known as Caller ID.

In 1974, Paraskevakos was awarded a U.S. patent for this technology. In 1977, he launched Metretek, Inc., which developed and produced the first fully automated, commercially available remote meter reading and load management system. Since this system was developed pre-Internet, Metretek utilized the IBM series 1 mini-computer. For this approach, Paraskevakos and Metretek were awarded multiple patents.

Simply refer to your radio usage and communication protocol training and testing for Part 107 Operators.

What!?! There was none?

There's your answer.

Monitor yes, anyone can do that now, Tx not without an FCC license or Station ID.
Not true, You do not need a FCC license or station ID to TX. In the US anyway.

No reason to operate a drone around an airport unless you have business to do it. If so you to contact the FAA and get a NOTAM fot the operation.

Not true, You do not need a FCC license or station ID to TX. In the US anyway.

If you're referring to aviation operation then OK you do not require a personal license anymore. The license is assigned to the aircraft and the 'N' number becomes the station and ID. So if you in the aircraft your good. Otherwise your a ground station and require a station license.

If you're referring to aviation operation then OK you do not require a personal license anymore. The license is assigned to the aircraft and the 'N' number becomes the station and ID. So if you in the aircraft your good. Otherwise your a ground station and require a station license.
Ok, let rephrase my answer. I've been flying over 40 years I've own several hand held radios I also have a ham lic. For around airport I use my hand held to communicate with aircraft in the pattern on on the ground. I will not say the FCC could care less for local transmissions but I think they are aware but don't seem to be in a hurry to enforce. Also you should not be operating a drone around an airport without notifying the FAA and a towered airport will not allow drones in there airspace without having prior permission and without a NOTAM which will state the altitude and area the drone will be in so pilots comming and going will be aware of the activity.

While I’m sure you have good intentions I don’t see the point of folks pointing out their ‘this and that’ to justify actions or imply it’s OK to do as you wish. Having said that my background is similar to yours. I’m only pointing out the facts in regards to radio operations for those who care to read it.

There are plenty of planes without transponders at all, yet along ADSB, but sites like flightradar24 are good at showing incoming aircraft. If I had reason to fly my phantom at the airport before the tower opens, I'd be monitoring UNICOM (either via radio or the Live ATC app) and flightradar24.

As others have said, I'm also a private pilot and TONS or pilots never make any calls, They just fly around and assume they aren't going to run into anyone. I trained at a Towered airport, so I always make calls.

There are plenty of planes without transponders at all, yet along ADSB, but sites like flightradar24 are good at showing incoming aircraft. If I had reason to fly my phantom at the airport before the tower opens, I'd be monitoring UNICOM (either via radio or the Live ATC app) and flightradar24.

As others have said, I'm also a private pilot and TONS or pilots never make any calls, They just fly around and assume they aren't going to run into anyone. I trained at a Towered airport, so I always make calls.

Mine was at an uncontrolled airport and also always made calls. Inactive now due to medical (vision) and, well... $ too!

This thread could go on, but like you said a lic is required to operate a radio. I just pointed out that alot of us don't have one to use with our hand held other than to use our N number. But better to have and use one than to watch an incident that we could have avoided. Thank you for your insight.

Reactions: N017RW
Hey all,

Studying up on my part 107 pilot license and came across this in the FAA study guide, Page 42:

"For safety reasons, a remote pilot must always scan the area where they are operating a small UA. This is especially important around an airport. While it is good operating procedures for manned aircraft to make radio broadcasts in the vicinity of a non-towered airport, by regulation, it is not mandatory. For this reason, a remote pilot must always look for other aircraft in the area, and use a radio for an extra layer of situational awareness. "

That sounds like we must use a radio when operating around an airport that does not have an ATC.

Study guide: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Also, I am shocked that manned pilots don't have to even broadcast their vicinity around non-towered airports.

Am I reading this wrong??

Thanks
It's not required for an aircraft to use a radio because in some cases they don't have one in the plane and not required to have one. Some older planes didn't have radios. Whether that's a safe pratice or not it's up to the pilot in command. It is highly recomended that they do commucate while entering and in the pattern. Usually the traffic pattern is about 1000 feet AGL but some planes will enter lower. The approach and departure end of runways are where drones should not be. First of all you must have permission or a waver even to fly inside the class of airspace. And if flying near the approach and departure end of runways you risk having an aircraft hit your drone and possibility causing a crash. Airport Phone numbers are listed in AirNav or other ways.
And don't be shocked by that. Don't forget pilots are shocked by drones being allowed around any airport. It seams we are all shearing the airspace so just follow the regulations and be safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor