Commercial Drone Pilot Required To Have Radio

I asked for an airspace waiver to operate at an airport. I have legitimate reasons.
As did I when requesting and receiving my Class E waiver.

The issue with transmitting on a VHF radio as a UAS pilot is that there is currently NO category of FCC licensed station for you. While stations ABOARD aircraft are licensed by rule, stations on the ground require licenses, and there is no category that fits a UAS pilot. It's one more detail that the FAA didn't hammer out before finalizing Part 107. I've spoken to both the FAA and FCC on this, and they both agreed - it's not something that came up. The suggestion to use a radio is taken directly from manned flight SOP and probably shouldn't have.

No word as to whether or not the FCC will tweak their rules to accord UAS pilots the same standing as manned pilots - but callsigns would seem to be one sticky widget since most UASs don't have tail numbers.

The more safety measures you have in place, the better off you will be should something ever go wrong. I already looked into it and a scanner radio is not expensive.

I have one and always keep it tuned to the local airport's tower or CTAF. But I never broadcast on it, it's just so I can monitor air traffic in the pattern. You should always be able to move your drone out of the way of manned aircraft, so what would be the point in transmitting?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
This is so Crazy! what is the sence of having a radio if you can't talk to the Tower and ask for permission to fly near them!!!! LOL

I have one and always keep it tuned to the local airport's tower or CTAF. But I never broadcast on it, it's just so I can monitor air traffic in the pattern. You should always be able to move your drone out of the way of manned aircraft, so what would be the point in transmitting?

Just so you know in any emergency anyone can get on any frequency and report it! Faa or Police or Fire Channel

Just so you know in any emergency anyone can get on any frequency and report it! Faa or Police or Fire Channel

Please post a link to this information.

Reactions: P4PCommander
Your response says it all.

Unlike the internet and for-profit chat forums, the airwaves are regulated with stiff fines for unauthorized communications.

What call-sign do you use with such transmission?
Actually that question is rhetorical since you would have none.

I assume you meant to help others but analog HTs will not be able to access the public safety channels or operate within the protocols for voice communications making your claim(s) moot. Thus such transmissions may be considered Jamming and the operator subject to federal prosecution.

Your understanding of such 'allowances' is defective.

Last edited:
This is so Crazy! what is the sence of having a radio if you can't talk to the Tower and ask for permission to fly near them!!!! LOL

Aren't you an amateur radio operator? If so then you know, unless authorized, you have to have an FCC license to broadcast.

Aside from that, you would need direct line of sight to the tower for them to hear you. Heck, even at many airports sometimes I need to move my plane 10-20ft for the Tower (1,500 ft away) to hear me ( on the high watt built in radio) as I'm behind a hanger or in a dead zone. Handhelds are even worse. No way the Tower is going to hear you miles away, blocked by buildings / hills.

And lastly, one does not, either hobby or 107 operator, ever initiate a talk to the tower on a radio. It's just not in the normal protocol. Granted, some 333 operators and some 107 exceptions require you to have a radio - my 107.29 exception does.

Aren't you an amateur radio operator? If so then you know, unless authorized, you have to have an FCC license to broadcast.

Aside from that, you would need direct line of sight to the tower for them to hear you. Heck, even at many airports sometimes I need to move my plane 10-20ft for the Tower (1,500 ft away) to hear me ( on the high watt built in radio) as I'm behind a hanger or in a dead zone. Handhelds are even worse. No way the Tower is going to hear you miles away, blocked by buildings / hills.

And lastly, one does not, either hobby or 107 operator, ever initiate a talk to the tower on a radio. It's just not in the normal protocol. Granted, some 333 operators and some 107 exceptions require you to have a radio - my 107.29 exception does.

Are you referring to this (underline added):
5.7.2.2 To make this communication possible, the remote PIC, person manipulating the controls, and VO must work out a method of effective communication, which does not create a distraction and allows them to understand each other. The communication method must be determined prior to operation. This effective communication requirement would permit the use of communication-assisting devices, such as a hand-held radio, to facilitate communication from a distance.

This is not the same as communicating with ATC nor are two-way radio communications required.

Even commercially (over-the-counter) available GMRS radios require licensing (which is a mere formality and requires no testing or fee).

PS - you can buy a. VHF scanner for a lot less than a VHF Air band radio. I bought my scanner on Amazon for about $50, my radio was $400.

Chinese Radios work just fine! they are required to meet all FCC Rules just like Motorola..... Programable Walkies are as low as 19.00 USD on Banggood.com

Yes I have had my Ham Radio Lic. 60yrs. was also an Air to Ground Radio Operator in the USAF and also USN. During an Emergency ANYONE can get on any radio or tv channel and broadcast your Emergency. It's the middle of the night! you come across a Police Officer Shot and barely alive! you have no cell service!! do you leave him their to die or do you use his Police Radio to save his Life!!

"During an Emergency ANYONE can get on any radio or tv channel and broadcast your Emergency "

Your inability or unwillingness to do so should be of concern to those who may believe such nonsense.

"During an Emergency ANYONE can get on any radio or tv channel and broadcast your Emergency "

Your inability or unwillingness to do so should be of concern to those who may believe such nonsense.
I'm not here to spread Rumors! I've been in the Communications Business 50+ Years, Why should I give you what has taken me 50+ years to Learn! Go To the FCC's Web Site and Educate Yourself!! And have been Flying Model Air Planes that long as well, Back when we sent Dot's and Dashes to the Air Craft! there was no such thing as Electric Servo's We used Rubber Bands to move the Rudders and Ailerons !!

I'm not here to spread Rumors! I've been in the Communications Business 50+ Years, Why should I give you what has taken me 50+ years to Learn! Go To the FCC's Web Site and Educate Yourself!! And have been Flying Model Air Planes that long as well, Back when we sent Dot's and Dashes to the Air Craft! there was no such thing as Electric Servo's We used Rubber Bands to move the Rudders and Ailerons !!
That's like saying a Police Officer can't use the Fire Depts. Radio to report an Emergency!! the Police and Fire Dept.'s Are licensed as two different Inanities, They are not the same!! but again I say ANYONE CAN GET ON ANY FREQUENCY AND REPORT A TRUE EMERGENCY !!!! Just because I don't have much patience with STUPID PEOPLE HERE IS YOUR ANSWER HERO !!! 47 CFR § 97.403 - Safety of life and protection of property. I hope you can read and understand the BIG WORDS IN THIS FCC LAW !!!!

Last edited:

LOL LINE OF SITE REALLY!!! Oh Boy....do you even own a TV!! are you line of site OH WAIT YOU HAVE CABLE TV! I must be breaking the Law I get Tulsa Okla Ch. 8 TV Direct and I'm 144 miles from them.....CALL THE POLICE!!! I am over 12,000 miles from Vietnam and I can still talk to them Why is that ????

That's like saying a Police Officer can't use the Fire Depts. Radio to report an Emergency!! the Police and Fire Dept.'s Are licensed as two different Inanities, They are not the same!! but again I say ANYONE CAN GET ON ANY FREQUENCY AND REPORT A TRUE EMERGENCY !!!! Just because I don't have much patience with STUPID PEOPLE HERE IS YOUR ANSWER HERO !!! 47 CFR § 97.403 - Safety of life and protection of property. I hope you can read and understand the BIG WORDS IN THIS FCC LAW !!!!

First, thank you for posting the language you were citing. It's important to be on the same page when discussing such things.

Second, your need to invoke the logical fallacy of ad hominems severely hobbles your argument(s). If you don't have the respect for others and patience to engage in a chat-forum discussion, then why do so?

Your self-described lack of patience may contribute to your broad interpretation of the language.

So let's discuss your statement which first drew my attention:
"Just so you know in any emergency anyone can get on any frequency and report it! Faa or Police or Fire Channel "

Now let's compare that to CFR49 ss. 97.403:
"No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

Compare your term "anyone" to the CFR's term "amateur station". Do you not make a distinction between the two? I do and it significantly reduces those persons who can do what you claim.

In reading further we see the text:
"any means of radio communication at its disposal ".

Fine, however the likely hood of an amateur operator having trunked computer controlled digital or commercial broadcast equipment at their 'disposal" is unlikely nor do I interpret the statute granting authorization to operate equipment outside their license.

Finally, here's one such article which sums up the role of Hams during NIMS type incidents:
Ham Radio in Emergency Operations

I hope this better makes my points that not just anyone can operate on any channel/frequency without license or outside their license.

Hams do play an important role during emergencies but it is to supplant communications not replace Public Safety systems or allow them to be 'taken over". This has helped the community retain precious bandwidth with ever increasing demand by new technologies and industries.

Cheers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor