FAA Section 349, Recreational Operations ~ The bits & pieces

This question is somewhat related to the question asked by bsartist. If you have a 107 do all of the drones you fly have to be registered under the commercial registration category? If all of your flights are being made under the cover of your commercial license do all of the drones you fly have to be registered as commercial?

That's an interesting twist that I had not thought about. Here is my spin on it and it's just shooting from the hip....

If you have your Part 107 it should cover hobby flights (more restrictive than hobby) and we should be able to fly as a Hobbyist with just our Part 107 being current. So we should be able to exercise both sides of the coin by simply having Part 107 current which would mean flying Hobby Only aircraft under our HOBBY Registration #. That being said until it's codified that's just a HUNCH at best.

Reactions: 2edgesword
I am confused about the part where it says the aircraft must be registered. So are hobbyists going to be required to register every aircraft like we currently do under Part 107? Before this rule, Hobbyists essentially registered themselves and put the same number on every aircraft. Is that changing?

I like the fact that regulations for Hobbyists and Part 107 flyers are coming closer in regards to Safety in the National Airspace. But I fly my RC Airplanes at an AMA field and hopefully I won't have to register each of my 25+ fixed wing aircraft. Yikes!

As of right now nothing about registration is changing. Hobby aircraft all have the same # and commercial are registered with a unique # per aircraft.

But do you agree that it doesn't read that way?

49 USC §44809 (a) (8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

49 USC 441 is not very specific - it allows considerable leeway in rule making by the FAA. At this time the FAA has made it clear that the registration system is unchanged:

UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)
If you are flying for hobby or recreation only, you must:
  1. Register as a "modeler"
  2. Label your model aircraft with your registration number

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20