Reaction score
Greetings, Pilots!

Today I am opening new topic for DJI GL300 remote controller charging issue.
Let's discuss varieties of errors and knowledge on - how to fix them.

Let's suppose we have a GL300 (A/B/C) remote controller for our P3A, P3X AC. Everything is fine with connection between RC and AC, functions are working fine but it's NOT CHARGING.
There can be several visuals on that.
a) RC is connected to the charger and it shows only 1 or 2 LED blinking when plugged in.
b) RC shows signs of charging but it charges only up to 3 LED lights on board. In other words it does not charges fully to 100%

ISSUE history - how does this happen and why?
- Is it because you have dropped your RC of got some shake or etc., during transportation, therefore something has jumped off the main board (component connection error).
- Is it because of bad battery, cables or something like that?
- Is it because of moisture / temperature changes in the RC?
- Is it because you have not used your RC for a while (again, storage issues - moisture, hot/cold place you keep it it)?

POSSIBLE FIX of this error:
- There are guys showing fix on YouTube with hot air re-flowing over the main board. Have you done it, does it fix this error?
- Have you found correct path which you can test with multi meter - troubleshooting exact error?
- Using hot air re-flow there is one specific component which seems to keep the key of this error. (Check pictures attached). I have tried to run hot air over exact component and it does a job (at least for a while). See that (Battery Metering IC TDFN8 - CW2015CSAD) chip in closeup view.
- Have you tried to replace this component EVER?

Any other suggestions - experience - solutions?
Hope this topic will help those pilots who have had this issue with their GL300 RC's.

Have a great day!
Cheers

Attachments

• 32372808_10215757272706910_7655506294308077568_n.jpg
    32372808_10215757272706910_7655506294308077568_n.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,034
  • 32480658_10215757273506930_3536274637560217600_n.jpg
    32480658_10215757273506930_3536274637560217600_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,775
There's been a fair amount of previous research and discussion done on this controller charging issue. @Chopstix Kid posted his initial research, and then @Rip posted a very nice DIY fix. You'll find that fix in this thread below...

Advanced - [NOW FIXED] Controller only showing 2 solid lights after charging?

Friend... if we are talking about throwing Rc’s main board into the oven then sorry this is not what I was looking for. That reminds me old myths about fixing GPU’s in kitchen.

I was looking for more advanced solutions, experience sharing, suggestions though. From people who has knowledge of micro soldering and some component specifics of RC circuit.

Has someone tried that hot air re-flow!? I had success with charging however same issue returned back to me again after couple of flights.

Looking forward.
@quaddamage - has Mefistotelis found out something interesting about GL300C boards?
Cheers

Yes they did.
Cool!
But read my thread - header topic once again. I try to gather those who had this issue and I try to attract those who had solved it.
It's nice someone has put it in oven and it works afterwards but that is not "technical" solution though, that's an option. It is also nice that someone has used hot air re-flowing but main question was, which component exactly? Was it the same IC Chip I added in picture or something else? Has someone tested / replaced any diodes, resistors, capacitors to solve this issue and if anyone knows the root cause of this issue?

Telling - I have used hot air to solve this issue sounds same like - I have used 99% alcohol before soldering. :)
That's why I am looking for more experienced path from root cause to finished process with success.

Anyway, thanks @RunningWithScissors for involving in this topic, it leads to other similar topics anyway and someone could find oven procedure good enough as well.
Cheers folks!

Greetings, Pilots!

Today I am opening new topic for DJI GL300 remote controller charging issue.
Let's discuss varieties of errors and knowledge on - how to fix them.

Let's suppose we have a GL300 (A/B/C) remote controller for our P3A, P3X AC. Everything is fine with connection between RC and AC, functions are working fine but it's NOT CHARGING.
There can be several visuals on that.
a) RC is connected to the charger and it shows only 1 or 2 LED blinking when plugged in.
b) RC shows signs of charging but it charges only up to 3 LED lights on board. In other words it does not charges fully to 100%

ISSUE history - how does this happen and why?
- Is it because you have dropped your RC of got some shake or etc., during transportation, therefore something has jumped off the main board (component connection error).
- Is it because of bad battery, cables or something like that?
- Is it because of moisture / temperature changes in the RC?
- Is it because you have not used your RC for a while (again, storage issues - moisture, hot/cold place you keep it it)?

POSSIBLE FIX of this error:
- There are guys showing fix on YouTube with hot air re-flowing over the main board. Have you done it, does it fix this error?
- Have you found correct path which you can test with multi meter - troubleshooting exact error?
- Using hot air re-flow there is one specific component which seems to keep the key of this error. (Check pictures attached). I have tried to run hot air over exact component and it does a job (at least for a while). See that (Battery Metering IC TDFN8 - CW2015CSAD) chip in closeup view.
- Have you tried to replace this component EVER?

Any other suggestions - experience - solutions?
Hope this topic will help those pilots who have had this issue with their GL300 RC's.

Have a great day!
Cheers

Hi there,

As a new P4 owner of a an new/old stock Phantom 4 I've suddenly become acutely aware of the Remote Controllers inability to charge correctly and have spent the past day or so trawling the web for a fix.
Like you I have seen the recommendations to run a flow-solder air gun over the board in the hope of maybe fixing the problem by blind luck - having said that there are a number of people that report success with this method, I congratulate them.
The report later in this thread where one of the contributors placed the main PCB in his oven for a period at 200C and effectively re-flowed most (if not all) of his components is an extreme example of this - again well done that person, I hope it's a permanant fix.
However, I've noted that if I use the DJI charger attached to the jack plug front right hand side of the remote I get a maximum of one solid LED and the second (from the left) flashing LED.
If I disconnect that and use a standard USB 'wall wart' charger attached to the mini USB connector at the rear of the controller I can (eventually) get three solid LED's - it may be, given sufficient time, that fourth LED would lluminate. I've not had the patience to check that out.
It would appear to me to be something associated with the routing of the various charging paths (possibly around the CW2015 Single Cell Gas-Gauge ASIC ?)- but without a more detailed schematic it's really impossible to say.

I'll keep searching and report back here if I find anything. I'd appreciate that if anyone finds a difinitive solution in the meantime they drop me a mail at [email protected]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure its this component (possibly the CW2015 gas gauge thingy) because I have been concentrating 300' C on this and the capacitors to the right for a maximum of 30secs. with a heat gun fitted with the small (8mm) nozzel. This is my 4th reflow attempt all have lasted about three weeks but this seems to be holding. The other reflow attempts were a general all round the board. I have also noted that now there is not so much heat being emitted from the transformer (17.5v - 7.6v) when charging suggesting resistance in the charging circuit before the reflow ...maybe? If you can feel heat between the RTH button and the charging port when charging suspect an issue and of course 1 led of maximum charge.
I can't seem to find the guys link who was replacing the CW2015 gas gauge IC on the board but he was suggesting that the part was available online ...... How you do this with such a tiny chip is beyond me ....."minisculetronics"
I am now enjoying 4 fully charged LEDs and is charging predictably but note I have bypassed the balance board in the battery because it failed 2 reflows ago and I wanted to eliminate this from the issue.
I'll post how long I get from this latest fix.

Attachments

• 20181120_090136.jpg
    20181120_090136.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 890
  • PSX_20181120_085703.jpg
    PSX_20181120_085703.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 870
If I disconnect that and use a standard USB 'wall wart' charger attached to the mini USB connector at the rear of the controller I can (eventually) get three solid LED's - it may be, given sufficient time, that fourth LED would lluminate. I've not had the patience to check that out.
I like the fact you can get some charge from the USB but doubt a 5v USB will ever charge a 7.6v RC battery to full capacity. Would work as a "trickle" charge and may prevent what I am suspecting is a voltage overload from the charging port (17.5v) down to rc battery (7.6v). It does seem that the charging process exacerbates this issue but that's just a feeling from 4 "reflows".
Just a note that I read 8.35v while charging which seems right but the output of the transformer is unknown. Seems like a DJI afterthought to have a single voltage charger to charge both a 17.5v and a 7.6v adding a stepdown trans circut in the RC. Bet they review this in the Phantom5!!!

Last edited:
Regarding trying to make GL300C operational again. I watched a gentleman substituting a DJI 7.4 battery within the transmitter with another battery. Replacement battery for P3A controller?

My battery from within the DJI transmitter has been charged to 4.2v using my Imax charger, both cells charged separately.

It appears as though the board inside the battery wrap manufactured by DJI has failed.

I have a question regarding reusing the two (6000 mah cell package within the DJI battery.)
Does anyone know if there is any reason the original cell package cannot be used again as a power source, without the board?

Yes ..... For some reason my battery output on the rc totally failed so I separated the cells and bypassed the balance board by soldering to the battery wires directly on the the output side of the balance board. The cells now output 8.3 v fully charged and works a treat. Have to reflow the CW2015 gas gauge IC from time to time but I'm still flying!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic