Crashed my P3S in the snow, What to do?

Reaction score
There was not that much water from the snow but i am deeply concerned about the motors, and percautions i can take to make sure the drone isnt damaged by water, FYI camera and gimbal are fine. it just inverted and crashed into the snow.

They should be fine if you let them thoroughly dry out before flying again.

Reactions: shotgun10ga
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Worried about a bit of snow ? All above models are just straight ordinary brushless motors, ordinary servos, radio gear etc. They all got drenched in snow ... brushed off ... back in air / use ... and they will all be out again soon for 2017 winter meet ...

As another says - just let it dry out nicely indoors.

I suggest you only wipe it over - don't use hairdryers or air blasting - that only drives the moisture deeper ...

FYI - it was common practice to run electric motors in a bucket of water to 'run them in' years ago ... Fresh Water is actually a very poor conductor, distilled de-ionised water in fact does not conduct at all. But beware of dirty or salt water - they do cause corrosion.
Snow is fine as its water vapour frozen before it becomes water drops and is fresh water base.

Nigel

Reactions: shotgun10ga

Worried about a bit of snow ? All above models are just straight ordinary brushless motors, ordinary servos, radio gear etc. They all got drenched in snow ... brushed off ... back in air / use ... and they will all be out again soon for 2017 winter meet ...

As another says - just let it dry out nicely indoors.

I suggest you only wipe it over - don't use hairdryers or air blasting - that only drives the moisture deeper ...

FYI - it was common practice to run electric motors in a bucket of water to 'run them in' years ago ... Fresh Water is actually a very poor conductor, distilled de-ionised water in fact does not conduct at all. But beware of dirty or salt water - they do cause corrosion.
Snow is fine as its water vapour frozen before it becomes water drops and is fresh water base.

Nigel
It was not the cleanest snow out there. it was in a drive way, but from what i can see there is only sand mixed with the snow. but right now i have the drone on its back hoping to have it "drip dry"

Sand ? Then its not corrosion to worry about - its abrasive sand. Don't blow it into the motors etc. - sand / grit destroys the bearings.

With easily removeable motors etc. - you can rinse under the tap !! to get the grit / sand out

Nigel

I guess being an active military vessel, flying around and filming the USS Constitution is out.

Sand ? Then its not corrosion to worry about - its abrasive sand. Don't blow it into the motors etc. - sand / grit destroys the bearings.

With easily removeable motors etc. - you can rinse under the tap !! to get the grit / sand out

Nigel
Is it safe to remove the motors? Any guides i can follow?

Nigel
Just rinse the rinse with distilled water in case your tap water comes from flint. and let drip dry again.

Hey Slack: Do you or anybody else for that matter know whether the boards are conformal coated like the military uses? Some of the higher end electronics I have looked into were, but most are not. Given that the DJI products are not inexpensive, and they started out as commercial birds I am curious.

Put it in the dishwasher on the dry cycle.

Sent from my Satellite mobile device using Phantompilots mobile app

I have a brushless airboat like the ones above as well. I have completely flipped it on water, multiple times, and the motor is always fine. I even used the motor, under water, to get back to shore one time.

So, at this point i am starting to think i should just spray water into the motors with a spray bottle, while tipping the drone so the water does not enter the drone. Good idea?

Hey Slack: Do you or anybody else for that matter know whether the boards are conformal coated like the military uses? Some of the higher end electronics I have looked into were, but most are not. Given that the DJI products are not inexpensive, and they started out as commercial birds I am curious.
the high end e5000 motors must be, as they don't even mind sea water. I have them at the top of list for my build project. over 55 lbs and I can ignore the faa drone registration as well. or as california calls them, ghost drones.

Nigel
That was for seating the brushes onto the commuters, and these have no brushes.

That was for seating the brushes onto the commuters, and these have no brushes.

Yes - I know ... I was just illustrating that fresh water such as snow melt is not a problem.

Nigel

Reactions: Slackware
So Nigel, Can you tell me exactly what to do or even link me a guide? Thanks, this is my 6th day with my drone.

oooooo !! Without having the machine in front of me - I wouldn't want to tell what to do ...

I can only mention what can happen if grit gets inside ...

I have various motors of my own that have had all sorts of crud in them ... I've basically removed the crud and carried on using ... but that's me. I can identify replacement motors and fit so I'm lucky in that respect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic