Crash every flight with gimbal

Reaction score
So I sorted out the rest of the problems with the Phantom 2. Flew it for a while. Charged all the batteries again to a full good charge. Connected the H3-3D with gopro and went to do a test flight.

The initial crash occurred with the camera set-up on the P2. It flipped over from about 20 feet up and crashed.

Replaced all broken parts. Test flight again. Good range, good GPS, and generally a good experience as I do not have any experience flying drones prior to this.

Connected the camera set-up again. Had it hovering about 5 feet off the ground and down it goes again.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it? I have to replace the gimbal mounting bracket again, and the shock absorbers.

So I sorted out the rest of the problems with the Phantom 2. Flew it for a while. Charged all the batteries again to a full good charge. Connected the H3-3D with gopro and went to do a test flight.

The initial crash occurred with the camera set-up on the P2. It flipped over from about 20 feet up and crashed.

Replaced all broken parts. Test flight again. Good range, good GPS, and generally a good experience as I do not have any experience flying drones prior to this.

Connected the camera set-up again. Had it hovering about 5 feet off the ground and down it goes again.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it? I have to replace the gimbal mounting bracket again, and the shock absorbers.

Other than replacing the receiver have you removed any of the connectors from the Naza-M module?? This problem of it crashing when the gimbal and camera mounted is not caused by either as it is either incorrect wiring, cold connection or your batteries. I have shown you screenshots of batteries now I would like to see screenshots of the batteries you are using that is if you would like to get to the root of the problem. Charge all the batteries before posting screenshots.

Will do. It seems odd to me as well. Maybe there is a firmware update for the gimbal. I will check that after the new bracket arrives.

I will post screenshots tonight and tomorrow.

I did not remove any other wiring.

Cold Connection?

Will do. It seems odd to me as well. Maybe there is a firmware update for the gimbal. I will check that after the new bracket arrives.

I will post screenshots tonight and tomorrow.

I did not remove any other wiring.

Cold Connection?

It well may seem odd but I'll put odds on it that it has nothing to do with the gimbal or camera.

The I haven't bothered to ask do all the motors just shut down?

If the camera was recording at the time of all the crashes why haven't you posted any of them on YouTube and here?

I haven't been recording. The first time it crashed it was from about 20ft up. Battery ejected from the P2.

Second time it crashed I was just testing to see if it would happen again. Took it to about a 5ft hover and it happened again almost immediately. Motors were still running and I had to shut them down.

I haven't been recording. The first time it crashed it was from about 20ft up. Battery ejected from the P2.

Second time it crashed I was just testing to see if it would happen again. Took it to about a 5ft hover and it happened again almost immediately. Motors were still running and I had to shut them down.

Trying to understand what you mean by crashed. If the motors were still rotating were you able to increase speed and lift? Or because of the extra weight of gimbal/camera, it landed hard?

Still, need to see those fully charged battery screenshots.

It was hovering about 5 feet off the ground. It nosed dive camera first into the ground. Two of the props were rotating. 2 were trying to rotate but were pressed against the ground.

I'll be uploading those screen shots of the battery as they finish charging. I don't let them charge unattended, and used them up last night flying without the gimbal.

Battery 1

upload_2017-6-9_18-0-19.png

Battery 3 is charging currently. There was a firmware update for the gimbal when I checked this afternoon.

Actually just had the same problem with battery number 3. Just stops in the air and falls like dead weight. No h3-3D was attached.

Actually just had the same problem with battery number 3. Just stops in the air and falls like dead weight. No h3-3D was attached.

Are the props spinning or does the system just shut down? An do you have a FPV system setup on this P2? Do you have a soldering iron?

I don't not have FPV. I do have a soldering iron. That's how I replaced the gps antenna. Battery 2 also acted strangely. Fast flashing red led after 2 minutes. Battery 3 fast flashing LED after 3 minutes. The props are spinning after it hits the ground.

Battery one I was able to fly 20 minutes before the voltage warnings started.

Last edited:
I don't not have FPV. I do have a soldering iron. That's how I replaced the gps antenna. Battery 2 also acted strangely. Fast flashing red led after 2 minutes. Battery 3 fast flashing LED after 3 minutes.

Battery one I was able to fly 20 minutes before the voltage warnings started.

There are two things that can cause the problems you are having:

1) Cold solder connection possible at battery terminals on the main board.
2) Those batteries are new but were not stored at 50% causing the P2 to shut down in flight. (Are the props shutting down while in flight?)

I''m going to ASSUME they are shutting down in flight, but I have been keeping it low, so it hits the ground pretty fast. I just cant figure out why the one battery is fine, with extended flight, but the other 2 seemingly are not. They also seemed to charge fairly quickly today. I've plugged in battery 3 and will see how long it takes to charge. Then I will try it again.

This drone was a gift from someone that got a new one. So I cannot attest to how the batteries were stored.

I''m going to ASSUME they are shutting down in flight, but I have been keeping it low, so it hits the ground pretty fast. I just cant figure out why the one battery is fine, with extended flight, but the other 2 seemingly are not. They also seemed to charge fairly quickly today. I've plugged in battery 3 and will see how long it takes to charge. Then I will try it again.

This drone was a gift from someone that got a new one. So I cannot attest to how the batteries were stored.

Try this take the props off and take two batteries that shut down and plug one into the P2 and start it up. Let it run until there are only two LEDs lite on the battery and do the same with the other. Then take a reading of both and post screenshots of both. By not storing the batteries properly can cause the current drop very quickly and when the voltage reaches 10.6v it's all over as that is the critical point. This video is from a battery with a bad cell.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Battery 2 stopped charging after 3 minutes and had this.

upload_2017-6-9_21-35-2.png

Battery 3 charged for an hour and stopped charging.

upload_2017-6-9_21-36-34.png

If I plug in either battery, they will not charge any further. Green LED on the charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.