Constant FPV lag - First flight with 1.11.20 FW

Reaction score
Hey,

Looks like I have new problems every new summer! I'm posting on my boat right now. Just finished an awful P3A flight above the sea... before going to vacation, I properly updated the bird to FW 1.11.20 + batteries + remote. So I started the bird on a flat rock in the middle of the sea, and immediately noticed terrible lag when looking at the FPV. There was at least a 15-20 second delay (never seen that before) and black screens/bars popping constantly and freezing. It was litteraly IMPOSSIBLE to fly it with just the FPV. I had to rely on the map and my eyesight. Note that I have hardware decode ON.

Has anyone encountered the same problems with DJI's latest firmware? It seems like every update they make is a total fail. I'd like to have some advice on how to get rid of this FPV lag.

If you need any extra details about my config, ask me.
Thanks in advance!

Has anyone encountered the same problems with DJI's latest firmware?
More than you can count it seems. I have not personally seen this because i'm one of those nellies who refuses
to update firmware on a fully functional and satisfying aircraft. Anyway, there are numerous threads around about that issue. First you might try uninstalling and re-installing the app, then try a different USB cable. Those are two fixes that I have seen around. It may not fix your issue, but easy to try.

More than you can count it seems. I have not personally seen this because i'm one of those nellies who refuses
to update firmware on a fully functional and satisfying aircraft. Anyway, there are numerous threads around about that issue. First you might try uninstalling and re-installing the app, then try a different USB cable. Those are two fixes that I have seen around. It may not fix your issue, but easy to try.

Well, I never wanted to update anything... I opened the app and it asked me to update everything in order to make it work... I hate having to update my bird, it's always risky with these unstable firmware updates. I'll try what you said :)

The strange thing with mine is that it happens randomly. I can't get a reliable scenario where I can analyse what is causing it. It could lag at take off, go out 500m distance and it clears and then everything works perfectly, then about 1000m away it's back - it's just not a reliable glitch if that makes sense! As I say, I haven't tried myself it but you never know.

I have a Samsung tablet that it happens on. The lag gets so bad that eventually me pressing a button that the screen will take several seconds to respond. The device just can't keep up with the demands of the app. I think it slows down in processing power if the demands are too high and it begins to heat up.

I need a new and faster tablet like the iPad Pro A10X model I guess. Xmas time.

I have a Samsung tablet that it happens on. The lag gets so bad that eventually me pressing a button that the screen will take several seconds to respond. The device just can't keep up with the demands of the app. I think it slows down in processing power if the demands are too high and it begins to heat up.

I need a new and faster tablet like the iPad Pro A10X model I guess. Xmas time.
I also have a Samsung Tab A device. And on occasion I will have the same type of lag. It actually started a few month and a few firmware updates ago. I have to be very careful when flying to make sure it is a real time view. The problem I'm sure, is with my Tab. When it happens, I generally will close the app and then open it again. That seems to fix it every time. My recorded videos on the SD card are always perfect though.

I also have a Samsung Tab A device. And on occasion I will have the same type of lag. It actually started a few month and a few firmware updates ago. I have to be very careful when flying to make sure it is a real time view. The problem I'm sure, is with my Tab. When it happens, I generally will close the app and then open it again. That seems to fix it every time. My recorded videos on the SD card are always perfect though.

Mine has gotten to the point even if I close the GO 4 app, it is still slow to respond to anything I touch. I think a lot of background stuff along with GO is messing it up and creating the lag issue. I've noticed GO 4 will sometimes start up all by itself too which is annoying. Must be calling home or someplace.

My Samsung cure is often to shut the tablet down and restart it. Sometimes even the shut-off lags where I have to hold the power button down for several seconds as the normal shut-down screen becomes unresponsive. After a while, once started, the lag begins all over again. **** Samsung junk and maybe a lot of bloatware too as they keep sending updates that cause me issues with connecting the USB to the RC at times. Too bad they don't leave the OS alone and quit messing with it, along with other app makers too.

I went to the Apple Store and saw that new iPad Pro demo. It is very fast from me just swiping the demo's display screen against their generic iPad they sell now that replaced the old Air 2 model. Much faster than my two Samsungs too. Where's Santa?

I opened the app and it asked me to update everything in order to make it work...
I wasn't aware that this update was mandatory and not optional as they have been in the past. The bummer for you is that now two years in a row you updated just before a vacation and had issues both times. Hopefully you can get it sorted quickly so you can get great video. Good luck sir! :)

Yes, I had such a bad lag that I flew my p3s into a tree. I thought I was going to the middle of the river and it was actually flying toward a tree. I was only 5 ft. of the surface--------- of the water! I guess DJI blames me because I updated and didn't check it out good. I texted them about it and they never texted back. Battery is shot. I dried my p3s out and all seems fine for now.
It caught me off guard. My IPad Air has always been very responsive to the controls. I rebooted and everything is great now.

I was just making a point that is does happen on my p3s. I'm also venting some. Sore point when you lose your phantom in the water because OF video lag.

I'm having same issue with my P3A But only when using wife's Samsung 10 inch Tab 4 w/ Android ver. 5.1 and will not let me upgrade to 6.0 also with the 4 G turned on and the DJI Go app Ver. 3.1.10 But with my Samsung Galaxy S 7 Cell phone it works Perfect, Never a delay

Last edited:
I have a Tab A 8.0 for my P3A and I had no complaints about FPV even at a 2 mile range. It wasn't until a couple months ago that this video lag started and it does it even it the bird is only feet away from me. If my Tab A was always laggy then fine, but it used to be great. Was yours always bad?

Mine was also okay up until a few month ago. I think that the Tab is just getting full. The more apps that are open the slower it gets. I don't blame the firmware, I blame the Tab. I only use this Tab for the drones, so I have deleted everything not needed. And then I put it in Airplane Mode. I haven't had any problems since then. The more you use the Tab, the more it get congested. Clean it our and see if that helps.

One other thing. On the TAb A, go into "MyFiles", and then go into "Documents". Look at how many TEXT files are stored in there. I had over 500 that I didn't even know I was saving or recording. Delete them. Do the same with Images, Audio, and Videos. Just make sure you don't delete something that you wanted to save.

FPV has never been 100% on any of these P's ..... its a 'sort of' FPV that really is not much use to fly safely with. That's my opinion after many FW's ... GO's .... Litchi etc. Both P3S and P3P.

As soon as I start to get out of visual sight - I make sure the AC is at good height !! Just to make sure. As soon as it returns into visual sight - I eyeball for flight ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31