Latest firmware - FPV Video transmission issues

Reaction score
First flight after updating to the latest AC and RC firmware: Flight control and stability are fine. Also, the recorded video quality and stills are fine - no apparent change to the 11/16 firmware.

HOWEVER: This is something new - never happened before and I have flown nearly 400 miles of missions many of them using FPV goggles relying on a stable real-time video signal. After about 6 minutes into the flight with no apparent video issues, the image stalled/froze and then continued displaying partial freeze frames once every second or two. I use Litchi for FPV. I restarted Litchi, but the problem persisted. I started GO, same problem. So, it appears as it is the bird transmitting corrupt real-time video. I got it back and landed, stopped motors, but did not turn off the bird. Went through all the settings to be sure there is not something I missed but whatever I tried, as so as I took off (just hover at 15 feet) the video started freezing again (note that it seemed to coincide with RECORDING ON). I tired this a couple more times restarting apps etc,, changing video transmission bitrate to minimum - no deal - same results.

Since it worked flawlessly for about 6 minutes, it seems to me that it may have to do with temperature. But I have flown much longer missions at much higher ambient temps with no problems before.

Battery started at 99% and ended at about 50% - no problem there. The SD card is a 64GB card with about 10GB free left at the time of the issues. I am not sure I ever let that SD card get nearly full while recording in flight - so that is something I will change for my next test.

I downloaded the .dat file and analyzed it looking for error events etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with the new firmware on a P3P?

First flight after updating to the latest AC and RC firmware: Flight control and stability are fine. Also, the recorded video quality and stills are fine - no apparent change to the 11/16 firmware.

HOWEVER: This is something new - never happened before and I have flown nearly 400 miles of missions many of them using FPV goggles relying on a stable real-time video signal. After about 6 minutes into the flight with no apparent video issues, the image stalled/froze and then continued displaying partial freeze frames once every second or two. I use Litchi for FPV. I restarted Litchi, but the problem persisted. I started GO, same problem. So, it appears as it is the bird transmitting corrupt real-time video. I got it back and landed, stopped motors, but did not turn off the bird. Went through all the settings to be sure there is not something I missed but whatever I tried, as so as I took off (just hover at 15 feet) the video started freezing again (note that it seemed to coincide with RECORDING ON). I tired this a couple more times restarting apps etc,, changing video transmission bitrate to minimum - no deal - same results.

Since it worked flawlessly for about 6 minutes, it seems to me that it may have to do with temperature. But I have flown much longer missions at much higher ambient temps with no problems before.

Battery started at 99% and ended at about 50% - no problem there. The SD card is a 64GB card with about 10GB free left at the time of the issues. I am not sure I ever let that SD card get nearly full while recording in flight - so that is something I will change for my next test.

I downloaded the .dat file and analyzed it looking for error events etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with the new firmware on a P3P?
Is the video recorded on the SD card okay?
Did you relink the AC/RC as noted in the release notes? (Just to eliminate easy stuff - not a likely cause)
Are you using the required app versions as noted in the release notes? (iOS 3.1.2 or later / Android 3.1.6 or later. No mention of Litchi versions.)

You should also test with another SD card formatted with the AC/App.

Also, if not an overheating mobile device you could potentially be seeing the start of a gimbal board failure. It could present as you noted as it gets hot and then finally cut out all image transmission to your mobile device. You may have seen several of the related threads. Did you cool your P3P with a fan as you did the FW update?

Just a few initial thoughts sir. I'm hoping for the best!

Last edited:
The video on the SD card is flawless. First thing I checked.

No, did not cool it, but then I never did before and had no problems. This bird is 18 months old and has a lot of miles on it and one crash. I ended up replacing the main board and the shell. Gimbal and camera remained untouched. I did have to affix the small gimbal fan again (ended up loose due to crash). But all that is about 10 months ago and probably 200 miles ago.

You didn't say what device you are using. Sounds like the new stuff is taxing your phone or tablet's processor which may be reaching the end of it's useful DJI life. As it heats up, it slows down to cool and then breaks up the video feed.

In time, you're going to need more processing horsepower as DJI moves ahead. I know I am too so an ipad Pro A10X is planned for Xmas! More $$$$.

I used an iPhone 7 with all apps cleared out prior to starting either GO or Litchi. Occasionally, I use my iPad Mini 4 - but only if I do waypoint with Litchi or other Autopilot stuff.

Come to think of it - yes, the iPhone was pretty hot, but it did not warn me (which it has in the past under excessive heat conditions).

There is one thing that I did different than before. Since I record in D-Cinelike I checked the new feature button on Litchi "Enhance Display for D-Log filter". This appears to be a new feature I noticed after the last time I updated the Litchi app. Maybe it had something to do with this in that it might be taxing the iphone processor heating it up more than usual due to some additional video processing (assuming that it is done in the iPhone - it could be a new feature in the AC as well). In any case, I turned this off as well to make sure. I'll go back out in a little while and try all this again.

Having same issue since firmware update. P4P only 5 months old only 50 hours of flight time. After the update I tried to fly in 3 different states, the furthest state from my home 1,500 miles away.

After the update I tried to fly in 3 different states, the furthest state from my home 1,500 miles away.
Please help me understand how this is related. What am I missing here?

Please help me understand how this is related. What am I missing here?
Saying that after the firmware update that I was having video issues in 3 different states, not that it was just localized to my home location. That before the update everything worked fine no matter where I was.

So far I am not impressed with the Pro .... totally crap Video feed on the tablet.

Nigel

I'm also struggling with poor transmission feed on my P4P. I thought it was maybe the cord from my controller to my phone, but after trying 3 different cords, I don't think that's the issue. I also fly a P3P and Mavic and have zero issues with video transmissions on those flights. I use an iPhone 6 Plus to fly.

I have been having the same issue recently - so much so that I upgraded everything to the latest software to eliminate that from my investigation.

I'm putting it down to the SD card being used - I know that doesn't make any sense at all, but it's the only variable that I changed which eliminated the problem. Also, I always format the card before use and even change cards between flights just in case something goes wrong and I lose the phantom. Al least I have the earlier flights safe in my case.

Try a different card and see what happens?

Here is where I ended up after several down and upgrades and many tests both video/image quality and live transmission/control in flight. It all started when I upgraded my P3P and controller to the latest versions. It became just about unusable as I would loose control and/or video when flying further than 2000 feet! So, I used the "DEBUG" downgrade to go back step by step to 2 versions prior to where I want to wind up. My target version is the most recent BEFORE this latest (came out last November). It had major improvements in both Image and Video quality with no apparent loss of transmission power/distance control etc. Well, I got there, but it would still not work well, so I had to downgrade the controller. The current-1 was offered, but would not successfully download. I had to go back to current-3. I did that and all is well again! I can fly safely to distances around 2 miles with no special antennae and combined with the current - 1 on the bird version I get great video/image quality along with it. I am a happy camper again....

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl