Antennas connected to camera on Standard.

Reaction score
I have done research on this topic but think I may have made a discovery inadvertently and not in the best of ways. The 2 antennas that connect to the camera are supposed to be for the video feed correct? Or is one of them for the video feed and the other for control? What happened to me is this; the connector on the black cable broke off so I was unable to connect it at all. I powered up the drone and was able to see the video just fine. Took it outside and went straight up to 400', still seeing video with no problems. Went for a short flight with no problems until I got out about 800' away and 400' up then I completely lost control and unfortunately the drone took a huge spill......in the woods......at night. It would make sense if one is for control and the weaker one is for video feed, that way you lose video and still have control. Is this the case or was it coincidence? Luckily I was able to pull up the flight log and view the last known GPS location and recover the drone with no real damage other than the camera falling off which in turn ripped off the other connector on the other antenna. I found the replacements for those on Amazon for around $30 but they are seriously hard to find for some reason. Why would these parts be discontinued? Anyway, if anyone can clarify the exact purpose of both those antennas that woud be awesome. I suppose it could be a coincidence what happened but IDK.

Both antennas are for the video. I think it's a hard part to find since many people need it. It's usually in stock here on Amazon.

Last edited:
The stock video antennae sit on either side of the battery compartment. To replace, you will need to open the shell and remove the main board, at least enough to move it out of the way. Some of us have decided to mount dipoles on the legs instead. Better antennae + easier to replace. Lots of threads on here about that, if you're interested.
BTW, I had ordered a set of stock antennae on eBay and got tired of waiting (something like 3 weeks went by). They can be hard to find sometimes. It was another factor in deciding to try a different solution.

OP - If you can hold out for just a few more days, I will have these ready to go in kit form. 10x easier to install and you'll get improved video range. Half of the stuff arrived today, so I should be ready to go by Wednesday. Or if you like to tinker/solder... all of the info to DIY is in this thread.

Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

I have done research on this topic but think I may have made a discovery inadvertently and not in the best of ways. The 2 antennas that connect to the camera are supposed to be for the video feed correct? Or is one of them for the video feed and the other for control? What happened to me is this; the connector on the black cable broke off so I was unable to connect it at all. I powered up the drone and was able to see the video just fine. Took it outside and went straight up to 400', still seeing video with no problems. Went for a short flight with no problems until I got out about 800' away and 400' up then I completely lost control and unfortunately the drone took a huge spill......in the woods......at night. It would make sense if one is for control and the weaker one is for video feed, that way you lose video and still have control. Is this the case or was it coincidence? Luckily I was able to pull up the flight log and view the last known GPS location and recover the drone with no real damage other than the camera falling off which in turn ripped off the other connector on the other antenna. I found the replacements for those on Amazon for around $30 but they are seriously hard to find for some reason. Why would these parts be discontinued? Anyway, if anyone can clarify the exact purpose of both those antennas that woud be awesome. I suppose it could be a coincidence what happened but IDK.
I would recommend making a set of new antennas or buying a kit off from matts175. I have an extra set of the wifi antennas if you want to stay stock. Pm me if you do.

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Matts175
Thanks for all the input. I actually found them on Amazon and got them in about 3 days so I'm good for now. If anything happens in the future I will definitely consider alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl