175 feet straight down slamming onto a frozen lake!

Yeah, true.
We'll see what the log says if it becomes available.

I think cold may have caused the volts to drop more than usual when under heavy load and the #1 cell warning was just the first one to go. Like you say it could have been a weak cell before, and has just gone unnoticed. Any idea what the charge state was at takeoff?

Except batteries get heated by operation. I've actually found the flight time is slightly longer when ambient is chilly.

Reactions: DanMan32
I
Was a very short flight ( 4 minutes) to video some ice fishermen. Using Litchi (as I always do). Was just finishing up when a Battery warning came on! Noted "Battery, Cell #1" can't remember the whole warning. Lost connection at that point. Waited for Return Home as it has always done in the past. Never came back. Went about 100 yards out on the ice and there it was. Upside down. No lights on the battery. I turned the battery on and the craft made the starting sound and one prop moved. How do I check batteries? Any thoughts?

I can already see your major error. You took off with 83% battery. This is a big no no especially if the battery had been sitting around for a week or two, even worse

Always take off with a full battery or this is what will happen

Except batteries get heated by operation. I've actually found the flight time is slightly longer when ambient is chilly.
Nothing to do with the heat in the batteries. I’ve flown in 41degrees C and my batteries get to around 60 degrees c and never an issue they are designed to hit the 70 degree c mark no problems

I

I can already see your major error. You took off with 83% battery. This is a big no no especially if the battery had been sitting around for a week or two, even worse

I agree that taking off with a partially discharged battery is a bad idea, if only because the SMART estimate of remaining capacity tends to be incorrect. I'm not sure that it explains the anomalous and sudden drop in voltage on one cell though - I've looked at a number of partial battery discharge curves and that is the first time that I've seen that behavior. Do you have any similar examples?

Nothing to do with the heat in the batteries. I’ve flown in 41degrees C and my batteries get to around 60 degrees c and never an issue they are designed to hit the 70 degree c mark no problems
Yes it’s true that LiION can operate reliably at higher temperatures but the fact is optimum operating temp is 20 deg C. At 40 deg C we should expect a 20% reduction in cycle life, 40% at 45 deg C.

That looks like a faulty battery. Cell 1 collapsed at 219 seconds and dropped the voltage below the protection shutoff level. The battery only had 50 cycles, I would ask DJI to cover it.

View attachment 93572

Looks like a bad battery to me. Was it an aftermarket battery? How many flights did it have on the battery?

I

The risk presents with packs that have entered auto discharge. Simply because the bleed resistors have slightly different values and may drain some cells at a higher rate and to a lower voltage.

I agree that taking off with a partially discharged battery is a bad idea, if only because the SMART estimate of remaining capacity tends to be incorrect. I'm not sure that it explains the anomalous and sudden drop in voltage on one cell though - I've looked at a number of partial battery discharge curves and that is the first time that I've seen that behavior. Do you have any similar examples?
I don’t think the issue is with the calculated remaining capacity, the BMS is likely tracking and reporting correctly. I often fly on oartiallybdischarged packs that haven’t entered auto discharge and the est remaining fight time and capacity seem to be accurate. The issue is more likely to be the uneven loading presented to individual cells during auto discharge. You start the flight with cells out of balance and the lowest cell will deplete at a higher rate in flight.

I don’t think the issue is with the calculated remaining capacity, the BMS is likely tracking and reporting correctly. I often fly on oartiallybdischarged packs that haven’t entered auto discharge and the est remaining fight time and capacity seem to be accurate. The issue is more likely to be the uneven loading presented to individual cells during auto discharge. You start the flight with cells out of balance and the lowest cell will deplete at a higher rate in flight.

My impression was that this battery had not started auto discharge - the OP mentioned charging within the week at least.

In any case - I've seen several flight logs where the flight was started at less than full charge and the estimated capacity was clearly wrong. The starting voltages were too low for the initial estimate, and the result was that the estimated capacity decreased non-linearly. However, the individual cell voltages still tracked each other fairly well. This is the first log I've seen with such a major deviation on one cell.

My impression was that this battery had not started auto discharge - the OP mentioned charging within the week at least.

In any case - I've seen several flight logs where the flight was started at less than full charge and the estimated capacity was clearly wrong. The starting voltages were too low for the initial estimate, and the result was that the estimated capacity decreased non-linearly. However, the individual cell voltages still tracked each other fairly well. This is the first log I've seen with such a major deviation on one cell.
Agreed, this is looking like a bad battery.

My experience differs from yours however it is based on my actual use, not observations of others failures. I always charge within 24 hours of fight and any second flight on a previously fully charged pack is within the day of first flight. I can say from the depicted remaining flight times and available charge that I have never noticed an anomaly across a dozen DJI branded packs for P3 & P4.

The question is why does this happen to some users?

Agreed, this is looking like a bad battery.

My experience differs from yours however it is based on my actual use, not observations of others failures. I always charge within 24 hours of fight and any second flight on a previously fully charged pack is within the day of first flight. I can say from the depicted remaining flight times and available charge that I have never noticed an anomaly across a dozen DJI branded packs for P3 & P4.

The question is why does this happen to some users?

My personal experience is the same as yours - I occasionally launch with a partially charged battery just for flight tests and I've never seen a problem. I've also launched with a 70% battery after auto-discharge, and that flew fine too.

But personal experience is, by its nature, a limited dataset. My suspicion is that partially discharged batteries (either flown or auto-discharged) usually work fine. The events reported here that we get to examine and analyze are the less common behaviors, but I've never seen such a large cell deviation in such a short time.

My personal experience is the same as yours - I occasionally launch with a partially charged battery just for flight tests and I've never seen a problem. I've also launched with a 70% battery after auto-discharge, and that flew fine too.

But personal experience is, by its nature, a limited dataset. My suspicion is that partially discharged batteries (either flown or auto-discharged) usually work fine. The events reported here that we get to examine and analyze are the less common behaviors, but I've never seen such a large cell deviation in such a short time.
Again we are in agreement, it’s the analysis of failures that may lead to knowledge of what the issues might be.

I have 3 packs that go significantly out of balance during the auto discharge. When they are retired I will measure the bleed resistor values for curiosity sake.

As to the significantly low cell in this case all I might add is that I have seen this on occasion with bare (absent smart electronics) LiPO packs. The DJI batteries do, from my experience, perform very well.

Reactions: sar104
You can add that good list of errors...... taking off with a cold battery. If that battery was exposed to freezing temperature very long, primarily before take-off, that can impair the chemistry of the outside cell that's exposed to the cold the most. In the battery plot posted it appears the RED LINE CELL #1 cell dropped below 3.0V (it went off the chart low). I've always heard the TI microcontroller inside the battery has a 3.0V cutoff, not 3.2V. If any cell gets below 3.0V, the "smarts" will turn off the battery, whether it's flying or not (not too smart if you ask me).

In cold climates it's essential that you enable the battery cell voltage level to display in the Go4 screen (upper right corner). There's a setting in for that. That voltage, when displayed, is always the lowest voltage of each of the 4 cells. If you get close to 3.0 V you are in dangerous range and you should gingerly RTH as smooth as possible WITHOUT giving it full throttle. I would worry at 3.3V because that's abnormal for P4/P4P craft to get that low on a typical flight. When flying in warm weather (70C), I will often have 3.6V readings for the lowest cell when the battery is depleted to 25%. This changes in freezing cold weather if the battery is allowed to get very cold before take-off, because LiPo chemistry likes warmer temps.
Cold could be a factor if an issue occurs shortly after takeoff, but after say 5 minutes of flight time, the battery would have warmed up during operation.
Battery showed OK, then suddenly one cell dropped in voltage.
What do the logs show the battery temp was?

Reactions: Brojon
Omg, scary pictures, sorry for your loss. I have a battery that says cell#2 is damaged and to discharge to 5% and recharge,I’ve done that but it still has an issue.
After seeing this I probably won’t use it again, but that’s a $200 loss.

Omg, scary pictures, sorry for your loss. I have a battery that says cell#2 is damaged and to discharge to 5% and recharge,I’ve done that but it still has an issue.
After seeing this I probably won’t use it again, but that’s a $200 loss.
If it's less than 6mos old, ask DJI for a warranty replacement. If it's over 6mo, keep it for ground test purposes, or charging phones or ipads with a USB charger adapter.

Reactions: Stazz
You misunderstand my post - cold affects batteries by reducing their voltage. Assuming you start with a warm battery - like keeping it in your jacket - the cold will not affect your battery as much because in the course of operating it generates heat from internal resistance plus it is heated from the electronics inside the drone. I have actually found the battery life is a tad longer in cold weather - when I start with a "warm" battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT