Another P4 takes a bath

I am so happy to see that another grandparent took his glasses off and could not see well enough to know weather he was watching a bird or his Maverick. Sorry about your loss. I did not know about insurance. Thanks for all the replies from experienced unmanned pilots. I am new and have learned a lot from you guys.

State Farm not allstate . and it took 3 whole days and they approved the claim and the next day $1349 was deposited in my account . the Claims gal very nice and said this has happened before and when and if i get a new drone to be sure and call the office to get the new one insured . very happy and very worth the $60 a year
Thanks, I meant state farm, there was allstate commercial on when I posted...lol

I am so happy to see that another grandparent took his glasses off and could not see well enough to know weather he was watching a bird or his Maverick. Sorry about your loss. I did not know about insurance. Thanks for all the replies from experienced unmanned pilots. I am new and have learned a lot from you guys.
I wish it was just my glasses . after much thought on what happened i finally figured it out . i had turned the controller to the left so the young kid could get a good look at the screen and when doing so changed the orientation of the joy sticks so when i thought i was turning left i was actually descending . paying more attention at the amazement in the kids eyes then on what i was doing . I allowed myself to be distracted instead of focusing on what i was doing

i had turned the controller to the left so the young kid could get a good look at the screen and when doing so changed the orientation of the joy sticks so when i thought i was turning left i was actually descending
That makes perfect sense. That matches up with the data and theory that I mentioned before about reversing the sticks, in the heat of the moment. Although a bit differently in your explanation but it still matches. Hope everything goes well with the new bird.

That makes perfect sense. That matches up with the data and theory that I mentioned before about reversing the sticks, in the heat of the moment. Although a bit differently in your explanation but it still matches. Hope everything goes well with the new bird.
Yep in the moment and a day or so after i just couldn't get what happened . then it hit me as to what i had done to change my input . now it all makes sense .
thanks

well thanks for the input . looks like i really screwed up somehow . i hope statefarm comes trhough . if so i may buy another p4 since they've come down so much in price . this bird did all i needed and i'll have tons of extra stuff . best place to buy a p4 now?
Wait for the Mavic 2. I have a P4P+ but hardly use it as the Mav is so much easier to carry around. If its got the 1 inch sensor, its worth a few days wait. You can sell the left over P4 parts.

Reactions: go fast
Wait for the Mavic 2. I have a P4P+ but hardly use it as the Mav is so much easier to carry around. If its got the 1 inch sensor, its worth a few days wait. You can sell the left over P4 parts.
Not a mavic fan . something about seems to toy like . like the phantom platform . thanks anyways . I did just order a new refurbished p4 a few days ago and should be here by end of day wed. for 694 can't beat it and don't feel like putting more money into this hobby right now

The Lesson from this crash is unless absolutely necessary, refrain from sport mode and use GPS . P4, IMHO are not built to fly in sport mode.

The Lesson from this crash is unless absolutely necessary, refrain from sport mode and use GPS . P4, IMHO are not built to fly in sport mode.
Why do you say that?
The problem here wasn't that it was being flown in Sport mode.
The problem was that the Phantom was flown into the water.
That could have happened just as easily in any flight mode.

Reactions: sar104
nothing to do with sport mode . the phantoms fly great in sport mode . the problem was dealing with by-standers and trying to accommodate their curiosity , while taking my attention off of what i should have paying attention to which was the drone and controller , not making it available for them to see but keeping myself focused

Well on my 200th flight the Phantom decided she had enough . While out flying this evening getting some great sunset pictures, on my second battery and just hovering above, a fellow camper came over to show her kid . I let him look at the screen and then starting flying out in a big circle over the lake . Just wanted the kid to see it fly , I was at about 140' alt maybe 700'away over the lake when i got aircraft disconnected . All RTH settings should have sent the drone home , Didn't happen . the lady and her kid said they leave me so i could deal with the emergency .lol . Nothing i did brought the p4 back . just plain old disconnected and that's that's . there was wi-fi interference and a warning not to fly to far , but i get that all the time at this rv park in West Yellowstone over half my flights are from here , i had that during the other battery i just flew and had no issues nor did i on this flight until the aircraft disconnected .The drone was flying great . Looking at air data shows no issues signal strength was 100% ,it shows landing battery at 38% which makes no sense . I can see the flight map and it just dead ends over the lake about 600' away . It was Getting dark and i had lost sight of the drone dealing with the kid . tried powering off the controller and back on no help , tired changing channels no help , shut down dji and restarted no help , RTH no Help , preset return to home functions did not work for loss of single , just plain gone !!! Last known location 140' above the lake , assume now it's on the bottom of said lake
ON a brite note i do have a state farm policy for the drone , Guess tomorrow i make a call and put in a claim and then decide if i get another drone or not .

Well on my 200th flight the Phantom decided she had enough . While out flying this evening getting some great sunset pictures, on my second battery and just hovering above, a fellow camper came over to show her kid . I let him look at the screen and then starting flying out in a big circle over the lake . Just wanted the kid to see it fly , I was at about 140' alt maybe 700'away over the lake when i got aircraft disconnected . All RTH settings should have sent the drone home , Didn't happen . the lady and her kid said they leave me so i could deal with the emergency .lol . Nothing i did brought the p4 back . just plain old disconnected and that's that's . there was wi-fi interference and a warning not to fly to far , but i get that all the time at this rv park in West Yellowstone over half my flights are from here , i had that during the other battery i just flew and had no issues nor did i on this flight until the aircraft disconnected .The drone was flying great . Looking at air data shows no issues signal strength was 100% ,it shows landing battery at 38% which makes no sense . I can see the flight map and it just dead ends over the lake about 600' away . It was Getting dark and i had lost sight of the drone dealing with the kid . tried powering off the controller and back on no help , tired changing channels no help , shut down dji and restarted no help , RTH no Help , preset return to home functions did not work for loss of single , just plain gone !!! Last known location 140' above the lake , assume now it's on the bottom of said lake
ON a brite note i do have a state farm policy for the drone , Guess tomorrow i make a call and put in a claim and then decide if i get another drone or not .

I just had this happen to me 2 months ago. No flight data recorded. I got about 100 ft away and 50 feet in the air and got loss of transmission. I watched my P4P fall to the ground. I had hope it would survive until one of my friends said, "Hey, your camera is over here." That was the worst knot ever in my stomach! I sent it to DJI and have to say I was very impressed. They sent a shipping label and covered the shipping costs and repaired it. I had my drone back in 2 weeks after sending it. From research online, it appears this is more common than I thought would be. At the time of my incident, I had had my drone for only 5 weeks.

I just had this happen to me 2 months ago. No flight data recorded. I got about 100 ft away and 50 feet in the air and got loss of transmission. I watched my P4P fall to the ground. I had hope it would survive until one of my friends said, "Hey, your camera is over here." That was the worst knot ever in my stomach! I sent it to DJI and have to say I was very impressed. They sent a shipping label and covered the shipping costs and repaired it. I had my drone back in 2 weeks after sending it. From research online, it appears this is more common than I thought would be. At the time of my incident, I had had my drone for only 5 weeks.
I wish it was a firmware malfunction . but mine was clearly operator error . State farm did pay off with in 3 days and new phantom is sitting in front of me know

Reactions: stickybit
Not a mavic fan . something about seems to toy like . like the phantom platform . thanks anyways . I did just order a new refurbished p4 a few days ago and should be here by end of day wed. for 694 can't beat it and don't feel like putting more money into this hobby right now
I have the P4P+ and the Mavic. (And a Typhoon H, 2 Discos and a few racers - yes, I have a little problem) Unless I'm on a mission to get super high quality pics, I generally go to the Mav as it's so much easier to throw in the car, the boat or where ever. Now that the Mav2 is out with a one inch sensor, I'm going to sell my P4P+, Typhoon (Maybe) and Mav1. The Mav 2 and a new Typhoon H Plus (one inch sensor) will be my two photo drones.

Wow 78 and keeping up with the tech! Nice. The world needs more grandparents like you! Never stop playing!

I have the P4P+ and the Mavic. (And a Typhoon H, 2 Discos and a few racers - yes, I have a little problem) Unless I'm on a mission to get super high quality pics, I generally go to the Mav as it's so much easier to throw in the car, the boat or where ever. Now that the Mav2 is out with a one inch sensor, I'm going to sell my P4P+, Typhoon (Maybe) and Mav1. The Mav 2 and a new Typhoon H Plus (one inch sensor) will be my two photo drones.
I have the one drone and have no intentions of getting a second . the p4 does what i want . if i were really into droning i could see owning many more , like fly fishing i own at least a dozen rods and reels.
I still need to learn to utilize the full capabilities of the p4 camera . Real amateur here flying was the easy thing it's editing and the like that i am way behind on

Reactions: The Roach
I have the one drone and have no intentions of getting a second . the p4 does what i want . if i were really into droning i could see owning many more , like fly fishing i own at least a dozen rods and reels.
I still need to learn to utilize the full capabilities of the p4 camera . Real amateur here flying was the easy thing it's editing and the like that i am way behind on
Oh lord, don't get me started on fishing! I'm a bass guy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl