Why can’t I fly around this?

Reaction score
The Pontiac Silverdome is undergoing a partial controlled demolition this Sunday morning.

I don’t see a TFR and there are no other NFZ nearby. It’s an, obviously, abandoned building, despite once having been a nation sports field so those concerns should be void.

I’ve searched online and not found any mention of drones vs controlled demo. There are areas all around the dome and it’s parking lot where one could park and take off then fly to a nice vantage point to record what happens.

I spent the position will be somewhere outside the actual property outline of the structure and it’s parking lot and at an angle, I don’t expect a need to fly over the stadium.

I know for a fact News choppers will be streaming it live.

So, I can’t see any reason why I can’t. I need to stay away from the choppers, clearly.

Any think of any reason I should be concerned?

(It’s so common here for private security (not cops) to come by and state as fact, you cannot fly here, you absolutely cannot take photos/video here and give me your memory card ... Or Else! As the imagery I’m getting is far less valuable than the cost of most legal entanglements I usually just land, state I didn’t record anything and drive away as polite and quiet as I can)

Side thought: I’d be shocked if the wireless detonators sometimes used by CD projects would be affected by traffic in the 2.4ghz range. That’s just too obvious to have been overlooked.
4cfc012866401535ba90dbce4436f7de.jpg

Keep an eye out for the TFR. They don't issue them very far out. I received a TFR notice (VIP movement) for the NY Metro area yesterday for Saturday. So a TFR for Sunday may be issued today or even closer to that type of event.

Reactions: Drestin Black
The authorities and FAA get very panicky when they see a drone anywhere near a helicopter. I would stay home. MHO

Side thought: I’d be shocked if the wireless detonators sometimes used by CD projects would be affected by traffic in the 2.4ghz range. That’s just too obvious to have been overlooked.

You'd be shocked? Is that a chance you're willing to take?

I agree that is "shouldn't" but it's possible not every situation and possible intrusion has been tested at this point and it "could" be an issue. I would like to think that their equipment has several levels of extreme safety built in (similar to binding the Tx to the Aircraft) but is it really worth risking life & limb to get that shot?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TFR pop up over the area. In fact, with all due respect, I'd like to see that happen and become SOP.

You'd be shocked? Is that a chance you're willing to take?

I agree that is "shouldn't" but it's possible not every situation and possible intrusion has been tested at this point and it "could" be an issue. I would like to think that their equipment has several levels of extreme safety built in (similar to binding the Tx to the Aircraft) but is it really worth risking life & limb to get that shot?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TFR pop up over the area. In fact, with all due respect, I'd like to see that happen and become SOP.

Yes I’ll be checking for TFRs up to and including literally the moment before I even take the drone out of the case.

I did some more research and meant to update my original post. No, there is zero concern about drones 2.4 or 5 ghz use. In fact, DJI (and other) drones are regularly used to monitor demolitions including mine blasting for various things. Due to right timing requirements and the unreliability and lag with wireless almost all demolitions of this type are done hard wired. My flight won’t affect that whatsoever.

“Competing” with a news chopper is something we’ll worked out, at least in my area. I’ve gone so far as to talk to a couple of their pilots and producers. Very cool, just want to capture images, did some work for two local stations in fact. They fly about 400 feet and don’t expect to ever see me at their level. And I don’t expect them at mine (like 100-200). The demand for live aerial feeds is considerable.

If there is a TFR, how can a News chopper ignore it?

They don't ignore it they go through the proper channels to get authorization to fly within it. Ignore it and risk getting your ticket pulled and fined so they don't ignore anything.

Depending on who initiates the TFR determines who you start talking to. They will mandate what you can do to meet their approval to fly within the TFR.

Oh I’d have no intention of flying in a NFZ.
I didn’t write clearly, I meant I’m sure they wouldn’t ignore one, so if they are up there, there likely isn’t one.

Oh I’d have no intention of flying in a NFZ.
I didn’t write clearly, I meant I’m sure they wouldn’t ignore one, so if they are up there, there likely isn’t one.

No - that doesn’t follow at all. As @BigAl07 stated, it’s perfectly possible that there is a TFR but that they have authorization from the controlling agency to fly in it. It would be very unwise to assume no TFR just because there are aircraft in the vicinity.

On the wireless interference question, no one uses wireless signals for explosives work in this kind of situation, so that will not be a problem.

Reactions: BigAl07
In the history of me saying it backaszwardd lol let me try again!
I will always check for TFRs up to the point of flight. I do not make assumptions based upon others.
I’m sorry, I should proofread better

Reactions: sar104
My original question was before I researched / also my bad!

The lack of a history of any TFRs country wide should have tipped me off

So are you saying that TFRs are not commonly placed around building demolition operations? I’ve not checked but I would have guessed that they would be used, even though the blasting methods employed are well-established and do not, for obvious reasons, throw hazardous debris to any significant height or distance. So maybe they are regarded as intrinsically safe operations.

I don’t recall the answer to this: can a private land owner “post a sign” that says “Drones not allowed” like a. Haines can for concealed Pistol holders

On the day i took the above photo a private security guy came by and told me, can’t fly over here and give me your memory card.
I laughed. Told him, fine I’m leaving. Let go of the controls, got in my truck and drove away — down the street to a parking lot of a meiers then resumed the flight and brought her home to me.

I don’t recall the answer to this: can a private land owner “post a sign” that says “Drones not allowed” like a. Haines can for concealed Pistol holders

Land owner doesn't own the air. They can post it but it has no bearing unless you're standing on their land.

I do not make assumptions based upon others.

I should have also checked YouTube - I see plenty of drone shots of demos - looks it’s a non-issue

I'm not interested in getting into an argument, but you seem to be talking out of both ends. You are assuming what is legal and what is not based on what you see idiots doing on YouTube? Come on. I understand you came on here asking if there is any reason why you can't fly there. But your logic seems to need some adjusting. Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your question as I have not done the research. But, personally, I wouldn't be interested in doing it unless I had a professional paying job to do it. I'd rather watch the demo live and not via a tablet, and then watch the cool aerial view on the local tv news. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Think about it; what threat do we pose to the operation?

No threat at all to the operation. TFRs for this kind of thing are to protect air traffic, not the event on the ground. But if the threat to air traffic is determined to be negligible then that would be a reason not to implement one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20