Who Likes The New DLog Profile? -Poll-

Do you like the new iso 500 locked dlog profile on the p4p?

• Yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I do not have anywhere near the video grading expertise and experience that many of you have, but I'm learning some. I used D-Log for the first time this morning and I found it easy to play with in my video editor, Cyberlink PowerDirector 15. I was quite happy with the results I was able to get.

I've lost the plot with DLOG at the moment. I knew it was rubbish before the F/W update but now it seems very useable. Odd restriction with the ISO I agree. It's good the screen shows the preview of the log with the LUT added. Handy! I'm just not sure tho that shooting DLOG actually benefits much at all and I do grade all my footage.

Reactions: AyeYo
I find the new dlog nice but have been leaning more towards using d-cinelike more regularly. It seems you're more forced to used the dlog profile with an nd filter and depending on the conditions you may not have the correct one because the iso is so high. I find using D cinelike with - - 1-3-2 creates a nice flat image to grade. Frederick Hagan has a YouTube video that shows this mode in action. You can change the style settings to your liking of course. But I have been sticking more with dcine as well.

Like D cinelike, d log is very very flat. Better but needs work

It is supposed to be very very flat coming out of the camera. That is somewhat the point. The file captures all that the sensor sees and instead of being a linear interpretation of the tones, it is a LOG output. The file is NOT meant to be viewed until the footage has been color graded. If you look at some output from pro-grade digital cameras that shoot in raw or a similar logarithmic format they will ALL look flat, gray, desaturated and just horrible. But...

When working with raw or log footage, a good colorist can obtain superior results as compared to dealing with other formats.

So. I went out and shot some stuff at d cinelike and -1-3-2 and also stuck an ND4 on.

Pretty pleased with the grade. Seems to have a nice amount of room in the mid tones. Have to watch the highlights and the sky getting blown out tho.
Read some stuff that d log causes banding in the sky.

The only issue is that you don't get the preview of the final graded output like we now do with DLOG and the little button on the go app.

Anyway. Here's a quick edit of the footage. Comments more than welcomed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bigbells
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that D-log is not nearly as flat now as it was prior to the latest DJI Go 4 update. D-Log, although pretty flat, is now halfway decent without any grading at all. I've been using D-log since a couple of days after the latest firmware update but I am fairly convinced that it changed again after the app update for Android. Prior to that app update, the difference between D-Log and D-Cinelike was YUGE. Now, they seem just about identical. I'm going back to D-Cinelike until such time as DJI takes the ISO 500 lock off of D-Log.

So. I went out and shot some stuff at d cinelike and -1-3-2 and also stuck an ND4 on.

Pretty pleased with the grade. Seems to have a nice amount of room in the mid tones. Have to watch the highlights and the sky getting blown out tho.
Read some stuff that d log causes banding in the sky.

The only issue is that you don't get the preview of the final graded output like we now do with DLOG and the little button on the go app.

Anyway. Here's a quick edit of the footage. Comments more than welcomed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Very nice. I have a clairvoyant moment coming on... tell me if I'm close: you shot the video at approximately 12:50 pm local time. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.