What's the best way to download images and video from my Phantom 4? Also - what's best for editing?

vdm

Reaction score
Hello.
I've taken some photos and videos with my Phantom 4, but would like to know what is the best way to download the images/videos to my desktop computer and hard drive? Directly connect the drone to a USB port, or remove the micro SD card and insert directly to my computer?
What is the editing tool everyone recommends? I have Photoshop and Adobe Premiere.
Thank you.

Reactions: Mark C.
It would be fastest to remove the memory card from your Phantom and use a memory card reader to transfer the data -- like this one. If you have a 3.0 USB port on your computer, then make sure you get a USB 3.0 reader for best results.

Reactions: vdm
I always remove the SD card.. It saves you handling the aircraft and of course the USB wear and tear. Also can potentially increase speed of downloads if using fast card readers. I NEVER use my 'expensive devices' as card readers!
I use FCPX, but Premiere is perfectly capable.

I also pull the card and plug it into a card reader.. Just make sure you remember to put the card back in the drone when you're done. I've forgotten a couple of times and didn't realize until I was in the air trying to take pictures. (They need to make a larger "No Memory Card" warning in the DJI GO app) :)

Thanks for the input.

When you import them into a folder on your computer how do you handle the file numbering system? Example...Import 4 clips and they are numbered DJI0001 then 0002 then 0003 and 0004, now your card is cleared and the next 4 clips are numbered the same. I find that you can't rename them till you download them. And you have to put them somewhere else to download them, like the desktop, then you can rename them to 0005 0006 etc. Then import them into the folder with the rest. Is this the way?

When you import them into a folder on your computer how do you handle the file numbering system? Example...Import 4 clips and they are numbered DJI0001 then 0002 then 0003 and 0004, now your card is cleared and the next 4 clips are numbered the same. I find that you can't rename them till you download them. And you have to put them somewhere else to download them, like the desktop, then you can rename them to 0005 0006 etc. Then import them into the folder with the rest. Is this the way?
I make folders with dates and unload them respectively...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Jussaguy
I also pull the card and plug it into a card reader.. Just make sure you remember to put the card back in the drone when you're done. I've forgotten a couple of times and didn't realize until I was in the air trying to take pictures. (They need to make a larger "No Memory Card" warning in the DJI GO app) :)

I've done this as well. Got out to the field and realized that I forgot the card. I've not bought a 64GB card for about $20. I leave the original 16GB in my case at all times as a back up.

Within the DJI Go App you can set it to number your files in a 'Continuous' fashion. This means that if you record DJI001 and DJI002 for example and then remove them from your memory card, the next time you record it will automatically start with DJI003 and so on. It will continuously build on the number that was last used so you won't run into having DJI001 each time. Very handy.

Reactions: thesinfull1
Now there's the answer. Good to know. Thanks for a great piece of info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Within the DJI Go App you can set it to number your files in a 'Continuous' fashion. This means that if you record DJI001 and DJI002 for example and then remove them from your memory card, the next time you record it will automatically start with DJI003 and so on. It will continuously build on the number that was last used so you won't run into having DJI001 each time. Very handy.

For future reference I do like Frands in your computer I name the folder by date, important first year, month, date and a small description 2016 04 26 lake fushimi with bob and joe. Don't forget to place 0 on numbers under 10 or your files will be 1, 10, 11..... This makes finding your pictures and videos in order taken and yes it takes time and worth the effort. When placed in these folders picture number doesn't matter even if the number are the same the computer will place a(2) in the file name. Since all these are on the same day and have a description you don't have to rename all your pics and they won't all messed up, view by date doesn't tell you what's it's all about and next year you will thank yourself for doing it. Works for me.

A professional video editor friend of mine recommended Adobe Premier Pro for Post Production. He's tried them all he said and it is hands down the only thing he uses now. I've done very little video editing ( with .some FREE tools) . . and tried Premier last week. Got to agree . . easy . . fast and so powerful and flexible for output. Free 30 day trial and then $20 a month, always up to date . . . and no continuous commitment.

Within the DJI Go App where do you set the file numbering to 'Continuous'

Click the Menu button above your camera/video camera buttons in the DJI GO App, then choose the wrench icon in the top right and scroll down near the bottom to 'File Index Mode' and change it from Reset to Continuous.

A professional video editor friend of mine recommended Adobe Premier Pro for Post Production. He's tried them all he said and it is hands down the only thing he uses now. I've done very little video editing ( with .some FREE tools) . . and tried Premier last week. Got to agree . . easy . . fast and so powerful and flexible for output. Free 30 day trial and then $20 a month, always up to date . . . and no continuous commitment.
I'll second Premiere and the whole Adobe ecosystem. If you can figure out how to get the Creative Cloud as an academic, you can get it really cheap.

If you want to be different and have a steeper learning curve but editing is simple stuff (technically), Final Cut Pro X isn't a bad choice for Mac users only.

Adobe prem and card reader like the others said. also dont forget to use LUTS for even better quality. also I put my files into folders based on location or iconic spots so if i ever wanted to make a video in the future and use some of that footage ill know what area to look for.

Can anyone tell me how to change the format from .mov to almost anything else

Remove sd card place in pc and use only movavi software, best for phantom, only 40 dollars.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Soz for delay. No. I won't be posting a video, no I am not a troll, ogre, smurf, or whatever. We sold the p4 this morning. All mem cards gone. Purged any trace of the thing from my machine. Faulty or not.....wasn't going to gamble with it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.