Video WIFI and TX power confusion

Reaction score
Can someone set the record straight on the requirement and benefit for the MagicPower mod in North America (FCC)?

I was under the impression that in NA that stock video transmit is 20 db and the mod allows for 27 db but in another post someone points to the DJI document showing FCC at 27 db stock?

I did the mod and put TX on the drone to 24 db and had a noticeable improvement in video quality. If the above were true I actually downgraded to 24 db from 27 db.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I belive the transmitter output stock is 20dbm.the aircraft is 27 that's where people get confused.the magic power mod will increase video range for everyone no matter if your fcc or ce.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So again. Still confusing.

I picked 20 db (FCC) for the controller and 24 db for the aircraft. I did this as I thought right now they are both 20 db stock.

Again, need someone here who knows the answer.

I'm confused as to where you choose the db for the controller and aircraft? I did the magic power mod but tried it out and didn't seem to make much difference. Do I have to go into settings somewhere or on an app and physically choose what output I want?

Yes,

You can pick what you want your settings to be for both the Controller and the Aircraft. Again, I picked 20 db controller and 24 db aircraft. I could have picked 27 db for both. On my end, I did see an improvement. (Unless I am smoking crack)

That is why it would be great to have a definitive answer.

Yes,

You can pick what you want your settings to be for both the Controller and the Aircraft. Again, I picked 20 db controller and 24 db aircraft. I could have picked 27 db for both. On my end, I did see an improvement. (Unless I am smoking crack)

That is why it would be great to have a definitive answer.

How do you select it though mate? I thought he Magic Power program just does it for you?

Remember that quick start guide that everyone tossed aside when they first opened their shiny new P3S?

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phan...om_3_Standard_Quick_Start_Guide_en_201509.pdf

The CORRECT answers are on page 7.
Thank you for the link. I've been trying to convey that the wifi signal level for FCC was indeed 27dBm for the Phantom and only had this screen shot as proof. This screen shot also points out why the confusion. On their site of the specs, it only shows one value for the wifi 2.4 GHz signal, so people were thinking it was 20dBm (100mw) for both CE and FCC.

Attachments

• watts on P3S.jpg
    watts on P3S.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 544
Reactions: Matts175
So basically Magic Power does nothing for a P3S in North America

I can assure you it does help in North America. I gained another 3000ft of video feed by using it. And there is no reason to change form the default settings in the magic app unless you want to change the region to USA,leaving default region allows the use of wifi channel 13. The default settings in the software sets the power level at 24dbm and when it loses signal it will automatically bump it to 27dbm.try your drone stock then add the mod at default settings and see if it makes a difference.I don't think I've heard anyone say it didn't help. If your losing Rc signal before video then you won't notice a difference as the software only affects the video feed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So basically Magic Power does nothing for a P3S in North America

Well.... There are 2 things it CAN do for us.

1. You can turn the TX power down to 20dbm, in order to run amps.
2. You can try out channel 12 and 13 for the video feed. (make sure your mobile device actually has channel 13 though).

I can assure you it does help in North America. I gained another 3000ft of video feed by using it. And there is no reason to change form the default settings in the magic app unless you want to change the region to USA,leaving default region allows the use of wifi channel 13. The default settings in the software sets the power level at 24dbm and when it loses signal it will automatically bump it to 27dbm.try your drone stock then add the mod at default settings and see if it makes a difference.I don't think I've heard anyone say it didn't help. If your losing Rc signal before video then you won't notice a difference as the software only affects the video feed.

Is this gain achieved by using channel 13?

I looked it up, it says for "low powered" applications it is legal, but I've never found what their definition of low powered means.

Yeah I've never had a reason to manually set the wifi channel and thought I read somewhere that 13 was illegal so never tried it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31