Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

I live in Illinois, but spend winters in Florida. I purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced while in FL and when I called Florida Parks and asked if I could fly my "radio controlled aircraft" in State Parks, she said she would have to ask...."But she knew drones are not allowed". I explained a drone was a radio controlled aircraft. She was very rude and said; "Well, you can't fly a drone in our parks".
I am a Commercial Pilot and former Navy Pilot, so I know a little about flying regulations. According to the Sectional Chart where I wanted to fly, and calling TRACON to ask permission to fly at 100 ft and below in uncontrolled airspace, (surface up to 1,450'), I was told I couldn't fly there!!!! I asked why and was told; "You just can't fly a drone there".
I think the underlying reason so many are ignorant about where drones fly is because so many drone pilots ignore the rules and do stupid things. Those stupid things are what people hear about and now we are classified as "perverts", "spies", and just "up to no good" people.
When I read about drones going up to 10,500 feet, flying out 3 miles or more away, and seeing a drone hit and destroy the winglet of a commercial aircraft on final approach; we will continue to be chastised. Until drone pilots fly by the rules, then maybe we deserve to be hassled?
Unfortunately you are spot on.

I bought my shield on amazon. Probably buy my Glock and holster there too.

Reactions: moonlitnite
I do believe you're mixing Manned Aircraft regulations with UAS regulations. Fortunately you're incorrect on many instances. You may want to dig into Part 107 a bit more deeply and don't overlook the Preamble.

You are correct.
That is exactly what is printed on your FAA registration card for your UAS.
I am a drone pilot but you know that he have some truth about it. You really can't fly over private property or moving cars or people. This is where public parks are perfect for drone flying. I always take my phantom 3 to public parks early in the morning so I don't have to see people around harrasing you.

I live in Illinois, but spend winters in Florida. I purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced while in FL and when I called Florida Parks and asked if I could fly my "radio controlled aircraft" in State Parks, she said she would have to ask...."But she knew drones are not allowed". I explained a drone was a radio controlled aircraft. She was very rude and said; "Well, you can't fly a drone in our parks".
I am a Commercial Pilot and former Navy Pilot, so I know a little about flying regulations. According to the Sectional Chart where I wanted to fly, and calling TRACON to ask permission to fly at 100 ft and below in uncontrolled airspace, (surface up to 1,450'), I was told I couldn't fly there!!!! I asked why and was told; "You just can't fly a drone there".
I think the underlying reason so many are ignorant about where drones fly is because so many drone pilots ignore the rules and do stupid things. Those stupid things are what people hear about and now we are classified as "perverts", "spies", and just "up to no good" people.
When I read about drones going up to 10,500 feet, flying out 3 miles or more away, and seeing a drone hit and destroy the winglet of a commercial aircraft on final approach; we will continue to be chastised. Until drone pilots fly by the rules, then maybe we deserve to be hassled?

The State Parks cannot regulate aircraft flying over their land, but they can prohibit flight operations (takeoff and landing). I suspect that's what she was trying to tell you.

Reactions: moonlitnite
Thanks for reading my rant! I have had women demand I land and I just comply to avoid confrontation but this guy was in my space yelling at me so I felt like defending myself (with knowledge and words)

Since a confrontation with a local off duty policeman, who did not know the rules, but thought he did, about flying drones (in Australia), I now carry with me laminated copy of the CASA rules and regulations, as well as a copy of a piece on privacy legislation, which surprisingly there is none here as far as drones are concerned. So at least I can hand it to them and ask "now please tell me what I am doing that is wrong".
I realise it won't help in all situations, but it might just set the record straight.

Last edited:
My friend uses his drone for agriculture photography of crop progress. A recently moved in neighbor shot it down like it was a pheasant last fall. When he confronted the guy he said it was over his property line and he can shoot down anything he cares. Still in small claims court for the $1800 lost.

My friend uses his drone for agriculture photography of crop progress. A recently moved in neighbor shot it down like it was a pheasant last fall. When he confronted the guy he said it was over his property line and he can shoot down anything he cares. Still in small claims court for the $1800 lost.
I would call the FAA and request enforcement action. I know this been discussed on here several times.

It Is A Federal Crime To Shoot Down A Drone, Says FAA

Reactions: HIWEEL
Other than one drunkard on July 4th who let me know he was a Veteran, therefore had the right to shoot my Quad out of the sky (apparently the little red lights at 250' up were disturbing his view of the exploding aerial ordinance ... and there were probably 2 x as many in his vision). He kept reminding me of this from the safety/anonymity of a crowd of fireworks onlookers.

The rest of the time, when people ask me "is that a DRONE?!" I answer NO. It is a 'plastic', 'toy helicopter' with a camera on it.

The State Parks cannot regulate aircraft flying over their land, but they can prohibit flight operations (takeoff and landing). I suspect that's what she was trying to tell you.
A few weeks ago I was at a trailhead in a natural forest (USA) that was manned by a couple forest rangers answering questions and helping people out since it was a very popular place that day. My wife asked about flying and the ranger referred us to the information board where a laminated paper was tacked to the board. It basically showed the summarized part 107 rules plus a couple others stating you couldn't operate FROM the trailhead, parking lot, or any official wilderness area, which we were at the edge of.

I chuckled with one of the rangers about the operating FROM terms listed. Wife and I took a short hike up the trail to enjoy the views, then we returned to our car, drove down the road a couple hundred yards, and took off from there. I didn't fly back to the trailhead since there was nothing interesting there but flew towards other areas of interest to try to get great shots.

A few weeks ago I was at a trailhead in a natural forest (USA) that was manned by a couple forest rangers answering questions and helping people out since it was a very popular place that day. My wife asked about flying and the ranger referred us to the information board where a laminated paper was tacked to the board. It basically showed the summarized part 107 rules plus a couple others stating you couldn't operate FROM the trailhead, parking lot, or any official wilderness area, which we were at the edge of.

I chuckled with one of the rangers about the operating FROM terms listed. Wife and I took a short hike up the trail to enjoy the views, then we returned to our car, drove down the road a couple hundred yards, and took off from there. I didn't fly back to the trailhead since there was nothing interesting there but flew towards other areas of interest to try to get great shots.

USFS has always deferred to FAA regulation and, in contrast to NPS and many State Parks, does not prohibit operations in most areas (except in designated wilderness).

Since a confrontation with a local off duty policeman, who did not know the rules, but thought he did, about flying drones (in Australia), I now carry with me laminated copy of the CASA rules and regulations, as well as a copy of a piece on privacy legislation, which surprisingly there is none here as far as drones are concerned. So at least I can hand it to them and ask "now please tell me what I am doing that is wrong".
I realise it won't help in all situations, but it might just set the record straight.

Yup I've had a couple try to tell me it's illegal to fly in National Parks. In Taiwan it is allowed. I have a link to the Civil Aviation Authority site on my phone showing where we can fly.

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

Your a better man then me. If he went that far to ask for your ID, license I might have started asking for proof of his dogs rabies shots, dogs license, and asked him if he had permission from the owners, for his dog crapping in their yards, pick up or not, not his yard, if I was able to remain that calm. I probably would have brought the drone just high enough to be annoying, then followed him at a distance with the drone. Your not breaking any law.
Or I might have acted handicap and drove him insane with stupid replies to his stupid requests. Just saying, your better than me buddy, and my son would have just laughed at me, because he knows his dad. Lol

I would have asked him for a letter from his Momma allowing him permission to play outside far away from home.

Ok guys let's not get disruptive in this one and tone it down
A notch.
IMG_7804.JPG

Reactions: BigAl07
I have learned some good stuff here for sure. Is a Glock 19 a good choice for flying? Want something smaller.

Thanks, Jesse

Reactions: FlashBuddy
We are all ambassadors when we are flying our drones and we have a responsibility to to each other to help educate the general public. But, sometimes we have to deal with some major ******** who just refuse to show us that same mutual respect.

I wear a Glock lanyard with my RC. I hope if someone actually gets close enough to read it, they might have second thoughts. Plus, it looks cool anyway.

Reactions: Patoomey and K9VXV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT