Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

Great read!

Also very good points Robert. Especially the point of landing in order to address the situation. Not ideal in that an irate person forces you to land to address their needs but in the end the safest way to handle the situation.

Also, thanks to flyboy for inks to AOPA. Looks like a credible resource and I had never heard of it before.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Maybe I should not bring it up again, but I am still a little confused about flying over private property. In studying for the Remote Pilot Knowledge Test I don't recall seeing anything in the FAA documentation about our rights to fly over private property.

I have been flying fixed wing aircraft for 18 years within the friendly confines of an AMA sanctioned club. And I often take my Phantom to the club field to practice flying it. But sometimes I don't want to take the time to drive over to the field and would like to practice from my home which is in a residential area. Since I don't have my Remote Pilot License yet I feel like I am flying as a Hobbyist. So what are my rights to flying over neighboring houses? What/who determines my rights in this situation?

If you respond, please reference FAA or other documents

Maybe I should not bring it up again, but I am still a little confused about flying over private property. In studying for the Remote Pilot Knowledge Test I don't recall seeing anything in the FAA documentation about our rights to fly over private property.

I have been flying fixed wing aircraft for 18 years within the friendly confines of an AMA sanctioned club. And I often take my Phantom to the club field to practice flying it. But sometimes I don't want to take the time to drive over to the field and would like to practice from my home which is in a residential area. Since I don't have my Remote Pilot License yet I feel like I am flying as a Hobbyist. So what are my rights to flying over neighboring houses? What/who determines my rights in this situation?

If you respond, please reference FAA or other documents

The FAA isn't not in the Privacy business nor do they want to be. They are in Aviation Safety which is the only reason we are even on their radar (Get the pun???). Privacy laws can come from Federal law, State law, or Local law but not from the FAA.

Be a good neighbor and talk to those in your neighborhood and show them the aircraft, the image from the air and DEMONSTRATE to them you are a safe and MORAL remote operator. Don't loiter over any private property and keep in mind that most of the time the person on the ground has no idea which way your aircraft is pointing and they ALWAYS assume the camera is pointed at them and RECORDING!

Be an ambassador on the front side and you're much less likely to need to defend yourself later on.

I just start crying and shaking and mumbling about "poor Aunt Betty" and they usually leave quickly. If that doesn't do the trick, I soil myself. THEN they leave! ;)

Reactions: Jim abbatoy
Sound advice Mr. FLYBOYJ and nicely put. We are all ambassadors regarding drones and should try and act cordially to the "just curious" and the angry ignorant asses.
I on the other hand, bought the T-shirt, really, I did.

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

I'm sorry you are having issues. I've NEVER been hassled when I fly. I fly in Arizona and generally, people are there are laid back. We have open carry gun laws so people just don't "freak" out about every little thing. But just in case I carry a three ring binder with all my paperwork, a copy of my Pilots' License, a copy of my part 107 license among other certifications. Drone registration etc. On the back of the binder, I have this the following message which I don't care if anyone will copy.

Attachments

• Drone Binder Cover.pdf
    607.7 KB · Views: 295
I'm sorry you are having issues. I've NEVER been hassled when I fly. I fly in Arizona and generally, people are there are laid back. We have open carry gun laws so people just don't "freak" out about every little thing. But just in case I carry a three ring binder with all my paperwork, a copy of my Pilots' License, a copy of my part 107 license among other certifications. Drone registration etc. On the back of the binder, I have this the following message which I don't fare if anyone will copy.
Joe - that is excellent!!! I think I might plagiarize your document and develop a similar one with regards to 107 operations. Many thanks for posting that!!!

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

I think getting a PILOT Vest, signs are all Excellent ideas! I also keep a binder with copies of my "real" Pilots License and my Drone License and Registration in those plastic slip covers. on the back of the binder, i have the attached one-page statement. I lay it face up on the ground by me. I've NEVER had anyone say anything negative to me I have had a lot of interest in the drone. BUT If someone were to say something negative, I would say please read the statement on the binder. I will attach it here for anyone in the forum to use. You might have to re-type it and edit it to your circumstances but it's great.

Attachments

• Drone Binder Cover.pdf
    607.7 KB · Views: 233
Joe - that is excellent!!! I think I might plagiarize your document and develop a similar one with regards to 107 operations. Many thanks for posting that!!!
Hey, Flyboy! Thank you! It was actually written before Part 107 was approved. May I ask a favour? Once you update it could you shoot it back to me in a word doc? [email protected]. If you can't no problem.

Agreed, thanks Joe. I had started collecting information for a similar document. But I think you have covered everything so I may plagiarize as well.

UPDATE- I have ordered the Hi-Vis vests from Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots about a week ago, I will update you all on my next "encounter" while flying after I receive the vests. I also have a thick stack of papers held together by paper clamps with all the information I would need to provide to an uninformed police officer. Also since this has happened I had the cops called on me while I was doing a time lapse with my Canon on a tripod!

UPDATE- I have ordered the Hi-Vis vests from Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots about a week ago, I will update you all on my next "encounter" while flying after I receive the vests. I also have a thick stack of papers held together by paper clamps with all the information I would need to provide to an uninformed police officer. Also since this has happened I had the cops called on me while I was doing a time lapse with my Canon on a tripod!

Well how did the conversation go with the police officer?:)

... Also since this has happened I had the cops called on me while I was doing a time lapse with my Canon on a tripod!

Pretty much fair game in Hollywood if you are seen with a camera on a tripod. They will ask to see your commercial permit. Ranger at Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park does the same seeing a tripod and will run you off. I know a pro who did a disk/dark on a tripod and got a $500 fine but the outfit he did it for paid it. Welcome to LA.

Just part of the day of owning a camera in public it seems - drones included.

Well how did the conversation go with the police officer?:)
She asked what we were doing and saw all the equipment then it appeared she was genuinely interested. She said I wasn't doing anything wrong and bounced. My 10 year old thought she was checking me out haha.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj