Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

Another lady a couple weeks ago told me I was creepy and recommended I knock on every door surrounding each house before my flight. I told her that I would consider it in tighter neighborhoods and she said to have a nice day. I understand people's concern but wish more were like this lady. What is wrong with our society that causes so many people to not know how to communicate?
Too many liberals wanting the government to control everything that we do. Usually people who aren't smart enough to make decisions for themselves and need someone else advising them.

...You really can't fly over private property...

Didn't see country of mention for this comment, just wanted to add that for the record it should be noted that this is not true in the USA. You may not be able to takeoff/land on private property where drones are banned or from a place you do not have permission to access from the ground, but assuming you takeoff/land from a public or approved private area - flying over private property as long as you are abiding by the sUAS rules of the FAA (and any waivers you have been granted if you're a 107 Pilot) is completely legal.

No one other than the FAA can govern airspace in the United States - not even the property owner, a crazy guy threatening you with harsh words, some dude walking down the street who thinks you're a creeper, no one other than FAA. It's a common misconception that property owners think they have the right to decide what happens in the air above their property, but in USA they do not, plain and simple. There may be usage rights for images produced over land for commercial use that a property owner can claim, but that's a whole other discussion outside the scope of this thread.

Yes parks are often a great place to not worry about regs, but some states/local municipalities do have drone laws you should always check before you fly. For example, in California USA the parks commission have even released a statement that it is legal in general unless otherwise prohibited case-by-case (I carry a copy of the statement to show anyone while I'm flying in CA parks), but parts of NY have them banned unless you get permission ahead of time.

This is such a huge problem with all the gray area rules we have to deal with...

When we fly in a neighborhood (commercially) for a Realtor we have Yard Sale signs that we put up before and after the target home stating "Aerial Photography in Progress Overhead" with our company logo and contact information on it. We also attempt to make contact with any neighbors we will be flying over their property. If they don't answer we leave our business card in their door jamb so they know who was there when other neighbors mention it. This has lead to a few new jobs for us.
Excellent way of doing things. Good job!

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.
Weird but I have had the opposite reaction. I fly out of a small lot next to where I live. I had two carloads of people stop and watch me fly. They love drones it seems. Between the two cars I had six people looking over my shoulder to see the camera output. haha. Its not the first time. I had a couple of bikers stop the day before and watch me fly it. People think they are cool where I live. Now if I fly over someones house I make sure I am not hovering just moving through and I rarely if ever get under 200ft when over somebodys yard.

Reactions: K9VXV
Weird but I have had the opposite reaction. I fly out of a small lot next to where I live. I had two carloads of people stop and watch me fly. They love drones it seems. Between the two cars I had six people looking over my shoulder to see the camera output. haha. Its not the first time. I had a couple of bikers stop the day before and watch me fly it. People think they are cool where I live. Now if I fly over someones house I make sure I am not hovering just moving through and I rarely if ever get under 200ft when over somebodys yard.
Maybe it is my big beard

<snip>
When I read about drones going up to 10,500 feet, flying out 3 miles or more away, and seeing a drone hit and destroy the winglet of a commercial aircraft on final approach; we will continue to be chastised. Until drone pilots fly by the rules, then maybe we deserve to be hassled?</snip>
If you are reffering to the video showing a drone hitting the winglet of a Southwest jet I believe it was... that is fake, pure CGI. Confirmed from the creator.

FYI - for the USA, the FAA has made these rules available online.
Only use the FAA for guidance, do not rely on random people's opinions.
SOURCE: Fly for Fun

FAA Safety Guidelines for Hobby Flyers...
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

>> I am very new to drones. I am a retired cop. When I bought my drone a P4. I checked all the laws even included others I felt would be more reasonable to those around us. I mentioned to all my neighbors I might be flying and landing in my back yard as I was learning and as soon as a little comfortable I would go to the park. I was not asking permission but explained I was not peeking nor flying under their roof line. Not one person including our "self appointed" mayor said anything other than thanks for letting us know.

I have now flown 5 times at the park (where it is legal) and each time I ask people near by if it would bother them or their dog ( some dogs freak out) if I flew. Not to ask permission but to see if I could accommodate any request. If they were unreasonable that does not mean I pack up and so how. I had one guy who was working with his laptop who asked if I would fly 50 feet away which I agreed. Later he and his son came over to thank be for being considerate. Asked a few question and looked at some of my video. I guess one by one we can educate those willing to learn.

All we can do is be tolerant and respectful but we have the same rights as long as we follow the rules and where possible make accommodations.
That said we have spent a lot of $$ doing something we enjoy and if someone is plain nasty they may come out on the short end of the stick.

It is clear members of this site try to do the right thing and are professional. The sad thing sooner or later there will be new rules and laws imposed reducing our ability to fly by those who have no clue. At that point it will no longer be fun. Until then go out of your way when possible and most people really respect the fact that you inform them and when possible use options.

Thank you

Other than one drunkard on July 4th who let me know he was a Veteran, therefore had the right to shoot my Quad out of the sky (apparently the little red lights at 250' up were disturbing his view of the exploding aerial ordinance ... and there were probably 2 x as many in his vision). He kept reminding me of this from the safety/anonymity of a crowd of fireworks onlookers.

The rest of the time, when people ask me "is that a DRONE?!" I answer NO. It is a 'plastic', 'toy helicopter' with a camera on it.

Placing that regulation ID would be the icing on the cake. I've looked for it - couldn't find it. Can you provide the URL to that regulation. Hi-Viz vest to be ordered soon. Thanks!

Just look for rules on interfering with pilots per se. I'll try to find it for you. Also I also wear a go pro because I do some you tube videos. When people see it and the flashing red recording button it's interesting to see their behavior change. Even threatening people is an offence especially when idiots come out with I'm going to shoot your drone out of the sky or issue physical threats.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have on occasion had people approach me and tell me I have to obey the FAA laws. I just smile and say ok, and keep on flying. Usually they ask what I'm doing. I tell them they can look on my screen and see what I see, if they only do it in silence, so I can concentrate on my flight. Usually they just say Oh ok, and watch. Then when I land I get the ,"did you know?" "Have you ever...?", How much....How long.... Can it....., usual questions. I answer them as politely as I can. Also informing them of the dangers of distracting a Drone Pilot. I had one guy act real aggravated that I was flying over a pond. After all his knowledge and questions and all of my overly friendly smiles and not giving him any other reaction other than I was so happy he was there, he asked if I could come over to his house and inspect the ridge vent on his dulex. Lol I did it. Just being neighbourly. I also took a shot of his house and property and asked him if he'd like a copy. He said sure. He apologized for being rude. I told him, no worries. I really wanted to tell him to shove up his you know what. My therapy sessions are paying off. Lol

Reactions: DrDoom and macoman
I was flying the other day. A woman walked up to me (on my land) and asked "what is that". I got prepared to deal with some form of crap and to find a nice way to tell her to leave my property, but just said "it's a photography drone". Her response? "Yeah, obviously, but what kind?" "It's called a Mavic Pro" (forcing myself not to mutter "as if that matters"). "Yeah?! I though so! How are you liking it? I've heard so much about them! Looks like you're doing a mapping survey, amiright?"

Not the interaction I had steeled myself against.

Also warn them that interfering with a pilot is punishable by 5 years in prison as you record them.

Is it? Not only do I doubt this applies to pilots who aren't located on the aircraft they're flying, but I also doubt any prosecutor or court is going to devote time to dealing with this unless you're actually threatened.

Our flying drones annoys some people. Their annoying us isn't a crime, it's annoying.

Recording people without their permission or knowledge counts as wiretapping in some jurisdictions, with penalties in excess of anything that would ever happen to a drone-pilot-botherer, so you might want to re-think recommending that.

I never had anyone bother me, but I think I would call the cops for harassment if someone asked for and ID and other license. They have no rights to bug you that way, and are clearly on the wrong side!

Up to a degree, people do have a right to bug you, just as you have a right to ignore them. Not everything annoying is a crime.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT