Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

Where do you see these rules?
Easy to find on FAA website. Reading these guidelines is required when registering yourself as an sUAV pilot, and there are URLs provided in the documentation that comes with DJI products.

Did you fail to actually read these rules, and just click the "I read them" box when getting your reg #?

3ed462ee0a7af14490aac60f4e2c467b.jpg

So where do we find these other rules? The summary for small UAS and the part 107 section says you can not fly over people unless they are in a protected structure or closed vehicle. Does that not apply then when moving? Only parked? I can not find anything to that effect anywhere. Can someone please link me to a full article or text to rules and regulations that include some of these things that I can't find answers to?

Thank you.

Jesse

In 14 CFR part 91 it talks about not flying 500 feet near any person or structure

But I don't think this applies directly to UAS? This was related to a helicopter but I wonder if that ruling would then apply to all AC

It seems like 14 CFR part 91 is for aircraft, "proper".

I've never seen any FAA UAS regulations stating a 400' distance from people or generally prohibiting flights over residential areas (I'm not arguing this a good idea). That's not to say they don't exist, but I'm not aware of them.

It seems like 14 CFR part 91 is for aircraft, "proper".

I've never seen any FAA UAS regulations stating a 400' distance from people or generally prohibiting flights over residential areas (I'm not arguing this a good idea). That's not to say they don't exist, but I'm not aware of them.

Exactly. I think they are great guidelines too but want to know a good source to find the exact letter of the law to make sure I am technically never in violation and am always concerned when people talk about other regulations that I have tried to find and thought I had found all that apply.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Current as if April 4, 2017.
I've summarized below.

14 CFR 91

91.1 Applicability

"(f) Except as provided in §§107.13, 107.27, 107.47, 107.57, and 107.59 of this chapter, this part does not apply to any aircraft governed by part 107 of this chapter."

107.13= registration
107.27= Do not fly under influence of drugs and alcohol
107.47= must follow flight restrictions in NOTAM
107.57=Offenses involving drugs and alcohol
107.59=Refusal to submit to drug or alcohol test

sUAS's do not fall under any other part of 14 CFR 91. There's is no 400' limit for sUAS. You wouldn't even be able to take off if someone was standing next to if there was a 400' limit.

I have started to say "Thanks for the info" and then I ignore them. If they say they are calling the police I just say "thank you". If they come within arms length of me (without my permission) I let them know that they are intruding on my personal space and causing a safety issue as well as making me feel personally threatened. If they still don't drop it I ask them to call the police.

If they attempt to touch me or my equipment (hasn't happened) then I would defend myself the same as I would if I was assaulted by any one else. It may mean walking away, smacking him with my RC or punching them in the face. I hope it doesnt ever come to that but you should think it through before it comes up. I have had people try to grab my remote control car in the middle of nowhere saying that motorized vehicles aren't allowed in this forest or park. I just asked them if they thought it is worth a trip to the hospital. Maybe not the right response but no one touches my stuff without my permission.

I live in a condo complex and like to fly from my patio around town. One day a neighbor ran over to my unit saying I can't be flying over houses (Which surround mine). I told him I'm in compliance with FAA rules (Which govern this) and am not being dangerous or spying on anyone. I usually keep the flight path over driveways and streets for departure and approaches. I offered to show him my path on tablet, and the video, but he now wasn't interested in that. I have to keep peace at my house since that is where I live, but I mentally made his house a "No fly" zone and keep well away from his place. Non-droners just have no clue of common sense and open their flappy mouths at the first chance they get.
I am a drone pilot but you know that he have some truth about it. You really can't fly over private property or moving cars or people. This is where public parks are perfect for drone flying. I always take my phantom 3 to public parks early in the morning so I don't have to see people around harrasing you.

Easy to find on FAA website. Reading these guidelines is required when registering yourself as an sUAV pilot, and there are URLs provided in the documentation that comes with DJI products.

Did you fail to actually read these rules, and just click the "I read them" box when getting your reg #?
Microlinux, I think you are being too PC in your reply. When someone like this comes here with nonsense untrue "rules" like this they just need to be ignored.
Where do you see these rules?

For all you saying you tell them to call the cops if you are really being harassed. Remember the rule of thumb: he who calls cop FIRST is the VICTIM when they arrive.

Reactions: K9VXV
For all you saying you tell them to call the cops if you are really being harassed. Remember the rule of thumb: he who calls cop FIRST is the VICTIM when they arrive.

I believe you are referring to the initial Complainant.

A Victim can be defined as:
A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.

Additionally, victimization cannot be objectively determined until after some level of investigation.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I completely sympathize with where you want to fly, and think the current FAA rules are too restrictive.

That said, you are wrong that it is within rules/guidelines to fly over houses in an urban neighborhood. This is clearly prohibited in the rules. As is flying over streets with cars driving on them (don't know if you take care to only fly over streets that have only parked cars).

Also, you are required to stay a minimum of 400' away from people, unless you have given prior notice of operations and the people that will be impacted have given their consent to be within 400' of the flying sUAV.

There are other rules/guidelines you are not following.

However, the ultimate point here is what the actual consequence of violating these rules "on the edges" so to speak. So long as you're careful to fly a course that, should you have a catastrophic mechanical failure, the risk of injury to a bystander or damage to private property is non-existent, you're probably not going to get in any more trouble than a citation and a small fine -- at the worst. Police departments do not have the resources to bother harassing drone pilots over technical violations any more than they do people driving cars.

Fly stupid -- filming a 4th of July parade, flying over people, vehicles, etc. -- there's a real risk of winding up in jail, even if nothing goes wrong.

The best way to minimize risk of getting on the wrong side of the law is to always be thinking about your aircraft having a sudden catastrophic failure and dropping out of the sky like a rock -- what's down below you, and what might happen. If the answer is only "destruction of drone", you're probably okay. If the answer includes damaging anyone's property, you're taking quite a risk. If it includes possibly injuring someone, you're a complete idiot.

I do believe you're mixing Manned Aircraft regulations with UAS regulations. Fortunately you're incorrect on many instances. You may want to dig into Part 107 a bit more deeply and don't overlook the Preamble.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Current as if April 4, 2017.
I've summarized below.

14 CFR 91

91.1 Applicability

"(f) Except as provided in §§107.13, 107.27, 107.47, 107.57, and 107.59 of this chapter, this part does not apply to any aircraft governed by part 107 of this chapter."

107.13= registration
107.27= Do not fly under influence of drugs and alcohol
107.47= must follow flight restrictions in NOTAM
107.57=Offenses involving drugs and alcohol
107.59=Refusal to submit to drug or alcohol test

sUAS's do not fall under any other part of 14 CFR 91. There's is no 400' limit for sUAS. You wouldn't even be able to take off if someone was standing next to if there was a 400' limit.

You are correct.

Reactions: Wilbur
So just to be clear, fly for fun, non commercial flight is bound by the rulings for small UAS summary and not the section regulating model AC and if you hold a remote pilot airmans certificate then it can or is part 107, depending on why you are flying (work/personal) right? There isn't another special place I need to look online or in a book to find special rules that I didn't know about? I am still under the impression that flying over cars is legally ok if occupied as long as they are stationary even though it's not best practice. Am I wrong here or is there another section that applies?

Thank you for your help guys, not trying to beat this thread to death just want answers from the experts.

Thanks,

Jesse

I must retract my earlier comments about staying 400' away from people, prohibited from flying over densely populated urban areas etc. -- I can't find what I obviously read somewhere.

Until I can find it, it's not real, and there are many others on this site (some of whom have responded in this thread) that know much more and have far more experience than I do.

Reactions: K9VXV
I am a drone pilot but you know that he have some truth about it. You really can't fly over private property or moving cars or people.
Again, no, this is not accurate. Flying over private property is perfectly OK.

My only caveat is to show some amount of courtesy and respect when you do so. Keep your altitude up, don't hover, don't be a nuisance.

But legally, it's fine.

Again, no, this is not accurate. Flying over private property is perfectly OK.

My only caveat is to show some amount of courtesy and respect when you do so. Keep your altitude up, don't hover, don't be a nuisance.

But legally, it's fine.

Where do you find under the FAA rule that flying over private property is legal? Unless it is your own property...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl