Takeoff Balance Issues

Reaction score
So I got a Phantom 1 done for Christmas and I flew it for the first time today. When I was taking off, if I didn't go full throttle and I kinda just eased into it, it would fall over. When it was in the air there didn't seem to be any balance issues. Does anyone know what could've caused this issue?

Phantoms always perform best when you take off with full throttle. I don't recommend trying anything less.

Msinger is correct gun it to get up. Same as with any aircraft full power for take off.

Also because of the blade or prop wash against the ground, I use my box for a take off pad to elevate it just that little bit. Because I start a little higher off of the ground, I can take off slower without it tipping. If you fly it a couple feet off of the ground, you can watch and get a feel for the prop wash. Just a foot or more in elevation when taking off makes a big difference.

Also because of the blade or prop wash against the ground, I use my box for a take off pad to elevate it just that little bit. Because I start a little higher off of the ground, I can take off slower without it tipping. If you fly it a couple feet off of the ground, you can watch and get a feel for the prop wash. Just a foot or more in elevation when taking off makes a big difference.

Prop wash wasn't his problem at all but not giving it full throttle was. Oh and prop wash has nothing to do with taking off from the ground and the only time I use my case or a walkway to takeoff is when the grass is to long even in my own yard.

Prop wash wasn't his problem at all but not giving it full throttle was. Oh and prop wash has nothing to do with taking off from the ground and the only time I use my case or a walkway to takeoff is when the grass is to long even in my own yard.
Thanks... so explain it to us why it falls over when you set it on half throttle. I never use full throttle and mine doesn't wash out and fall over. You say it's not prop wash, so I'm using the wrong term. When the air hits the ground and comes back up making the bird unstable, what is the correct term for it?

Thanks... so explain it to us why it falls over when you set it on half throttle. I never use full throttle and mine doesn't wash out and fall over. You say it's not prop wash, so I'm using the wrong term. When the air hits the ground and comes back up making the bird unstable, what is the correct term for it?

What equipment have you added to your quad? If the quad weighs more then the suggested takeoff weight of 1300g such as mine at 1378g it takes more power to lift it off the ground. So when one pussyfoots the stick it tends to tip over. I have been flying for 21 months and have the same thing as the OP has and his question as to why has been asked many times and the answer is always the same full throttle.

Reactions: Reed L
Think about this if you're using the new P2 nv v2 they are using the newer motors 2312 which may require less stick to takeoff as they replaced the 2212 so the craft could handle heavier loads they also use 9450 props for the same reason. But again all this does depend on the crafts total weight.

Yup and I have the P3A with the new 2312A motors, so that might make even more of a difference. Not much extra weight on mine other than the Rainbowers filter set up with 15g extra, maybe 40g total with all the filters and gimble protection, but... my scale isn't where I can get to it tonight behind the wife's art supplies, so I will get it 1st thing tomorrow morning, when she's asleep, because I have no idea tonight how much it weighs...lol. I noticed the first time that I tried slowly up for fun, I took it up about a foot and watched it wobbling in the air a bit and it even started dropping until I gave it a bit more juice. It smoothed out totally at around 30" and stays stable enough for an easy hand catch from a chair. Now I take it up maybe 6 ft and let it float for a minute while I pan around and make sure everything is looking good. I double check the battery levels, make sure it's at my home point and then take off if it's working right. Generally if I'm going to get a signal lost message or an error, I get it in the first minute or 2 so that's why I kick back for a few right after take off. I haven't had an issue since 1.4.01 but it did happen and it was flying so erratic after that update that I had to get the wife to grab it out of the air for me because there was no way to land it safely. She still has her fingers :D
:eek:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yup and I have the P3A with the new 2312A motors, so that might make even more of a difference. Not much extra weight on mine other than the Rainbowers filter set up with 15g extra, maybe 40g total with all the filters and gimble protection, but... my scale isn't where I can get to it tonight behind the wife's art supplies, so I will get it 1st thing tomorrow morning, when she's asleep, because I have no idea tonight how much it weighs...lol. I noticed the first time that I tried slowly up for fun, I took it up about a foot and watched it wobbling in the air a bit and it even started dropping until I gave it a bit more juice. It smoothed out totally at around 30" and stays stable enough for an easy hand catch from a chair. Now I take it up maybe 6 ft and let it float for a minute while I pan around and make sure everything is looking good. I double check the battery levels, make sure it's at my home point and then take off if it's working right. Generally if I'm going to get a signal lost message or an error, I get it in the first minute or 2 so that's why I kick back for a few right after take off. I haven't had an issue since 1.4.01 but it did happen and it was flying so erratic after that update that I had to get the wife to grab it out of the air for me because there was no way to land it safely. She still has her fingers :D
:eek:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your flying a completely different quad then the OP. He has a P1 and there is no comparison between yours and his or even mine for that matter..

1) Take off the filters and see if it changes anything.

2) Try an RC assisted takeoff - that starts out with a 'DJI approved' throttle level. See how that compares with yours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.