Seems I'm screwed!

Looks like it's class G airspace around the Huntington pier.

Yes. That we know and are happy with.

There aren't any special local restrictions. However, in about 11 days, there will be a TFR/NOTAM in the area.

TFRs always take priority. Assume there will be some event or VIP visit to the area. Smart to check.

Reactions: Falcon900
TFRs always take priority. Assume there will be some event or VIP visit to the area. Smart to check.
The TFR/NOTAM is because of the air show on the weekend of Oct 21.

I went to the HB pier this morning.

An official HB truck pulled up as I was flying and asked about my setup. They've seen others fly here, but it seems like they've never seen a iPad Air2 on a controller before! LOL! They were nice and told me about a regular pilot there called, Eddie. I said, "Drone Eddie?" and they laughed because we all know him (or at least know of him). They told me to enjoy myself and they drove off.

Reactions: 42FrankZ
Hey @Timothy Hulme, are you flying lately? If so, where? HB?

Hey @Timothy Hulme, are you flying lately? If so, where? HB?
Haven't flown at all with the new P4. No free time yet being one reason and general confusion since 107 went live. Airspace is giving me fits. Plus I read on another site that E airspace does not require communication with ATC for manned aircraft. Or at least that's how I understood the comment. So why do we have to contact ATC or more correctly request authorization on the web portal to fly in Class E airspace. I saw the comment above about HB pier being in G and I would agree. OCD is making me too **** about flying at all now.

Part of my ongoing concern is if you use the B4UFLY app we can't fly period. It shows every airport and heliport in the area. Use an app like Hover and it only shows John Wayne and even more interesting Hover shows me just outside of the five mile radius. So who do we trust ? FAA app or some third party. Neither could be perfect. Air map app is somewhere between the other two. Do we pick the app that works for us an play dumb?

OCD is making me too **** about flying at all now.
Dude, just get out and fly—your OCD will take care of itself! LOL!

FWIW, I'm somewhat OCD as well.

Like you, I live in HB. I have only had my P4 for four weeks. I already have 20 flights under my belt, for a total of over 2-1/2 hours of flight time with it, and logged 13 miles.

I've flown various locations in HB, Santiago Canyon, Fairview Park (where I practice using intelligent flight modes and general skills) and Palos Verdes. Check out all my videos on my YouTube channel...

HB Aeronautical

Subscribe, if you would like—I would appreciate it.

VLwCrAG.png

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Part of my ongoing concern is if you use the B4UFLY app we can't fly period. It shows every airport and heliport in the area. Use an app like Hover and it only shows John Wayne and even more interesting Hover shows me just outside of the five mile radius. So who do we trust ? FAA app or some third party. Neither could be perfect. Air map app is somewhere between the other two. Do we pick the app that works for us an play dumb?
I use UAV Forecast because not only does it show my the weather at ground level (as well as displaying wind speed at whatever altitude I plan on flying), it also shows DJI NFZs, airports, TFRs, etc. Sometimes, I use AirMap.

I'm also going to start submitting my own NOTAMs indicating my UOA, so that at least it shows due-diligence on my part, if I ever get questioned.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
There are definitely places to fly around here. This is my flight from yesterday...

If you're flying under Part 107, don't use B4UFLY. It is intended for recreational flights which have different rules than commercial flight.

Airspace is giving me fits. Plus I read on another site that E airspace does not require communication with ATC for manned aircraft. Or at least that's how I understood the comment. So why do we have to contact ATC or more correctly request authorization on the web portal to fly in Class E airspace.

You are correct about Class E. There are no communication requirements for manned aircraft ops in Class E. But that has no bearing on Part 107 ops. You still have to have an airspace authorization to fly in Class E surface area associated with an airport.

If you're flying under Part 107, don't use B4UFLY. It is intended for recreational flights which have different rules than commercial flight.
@N42742 at the moment I'm recreational ONLY. Working toward taking my part 107 exam. Following the letter of the regulations we here in the HB area are required to contact Airports prior to flying if we are within Five miles. Correct? It's my understanding that includes heliports (they show up on before you fly and airmap) aside fro KSNA which the biggie there are no less than a dozen heliports under five miles away from pretty much any location I might like to fly at. It seems intrusive that I contact them all. Not to mention fruitless as many would have no clue. As for KSNA as I understand it currently we are to contact them thru the web portal for notification/aurhorization rather than call ATC and or OPS. Correct? That pretty much means days or weeks of waiting to be approved just for an hour of leasure flying. Obviously I'm confused. The course work I reading is of course for commercial and I have yet to find any thing that gets into the meat of recreational use.

I use UAV Forecast because not only does it show my the weather at ground level (as well as displaying wind speed at whatever altitude I plan on flying), it also shows DJI NFZs, airports, TFRs, etc. Sometimes, I use AirMap.

I'm also going to start submitting my own NOTAMs indicating my UOA, so that at least it shows due-diligence on my part, if I ever get questioned.
How are you going to submit your own NOTAMs? I assume your still operating as recreational?

@N42742 at the moment I'm recreational ONLY. Working toward taking my part 107 exam. Following the letter of the regulations we here in the HB area are required to contact Airports prior to flying if we are within Five miles. Correct? It's my understanding that includes heliports (they show up on before you fly and airmap) aside fro KSNA which the biggie there are no less than a dozen heliports under five miles away from pretty much any location I might like to fly at. It seems intrusive that I contact them all. Not to mention fruitless as many would have no clue. As for KSNA as I understand it currently we are to contact them thru the web portal for notification/aurhorization rather than call ATC and or OPS. Correct? That pretty much means days or weeks of waiting to be approved just for an hour of leasure flying. Obviously I'm confused. The course work I reading is of course for commercial and I have yet to find any thing that gets into the meat of recreational use.
Recreational use rules haven't changed. you still ONLY need to contact an airport/tower when you will be flying within 5 miles of the airport (which should include any controlled airspace) to notify (not ask for permission) them. I usually call an hour or 2 before, let them know where, when, how high and duration. I don't think that it is even possible to track down who to call for all of the heliports around. I usually take the FAA at their word and just worry about airports. And keep an eye and ear our for any low flying craft (either fixed wing or helos).

Let me just add a tad more here. This is from the Federal Register regarding Public Law 112-95, section 336(c), which is where the hobby rules and definitions come from.

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2014-14948/p-51

"Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify
the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft
operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights.

The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS
. Additionally, we note that following this 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rules governing airspace usage discussed below. "

Reactions: N42742
Let me just add a tad more here. This is from the Federal Register regarding Public Law 112-95, section 336(c), which is where the hobby rules and definitions come from.

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2014-14948/p-51

"Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify
the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft
operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights.

The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS
. Additionally, we note that following this 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rules governing airspace usage discussed below. "
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
Quoted from the regulations. Does this means I have to join AMA and in the case of a city such as Costa Mesa fly only at their city designated field and pay a yearly permit fee to do so? Costa Mesa has a no drone ordinance except at Fairview Park

• the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
Quoted from the regulations. Does this means I have to join AMA and in the case of a city such as Costa Mesa fly only at their city designated field and pay a yearly permit fee to do so? Costa Mesa has a no drone ordinance except at Fairview Park
I read once in the regulations and can not find again that heliport are airports per FAA definition. That's where my concern comes in here in HB. Their all over the place. BUT, they are obviously untowered and as such could be considered class G airspace unless they fall under the vail of an actual airports class b,c,d,e airspace. Thus notification would not be needed. Correct?
This is a documented argument the city has used in the past to prevent drone flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20