Seems I'm screwed!

If anyone is finding it difficult to fly around HB or OC, just go up the road a bit like I did on Saturday. It took me only 53 minutes to drive up there ...

I thought the same thing about the real estate. But you can't get around it, unfortunately. If you want to shoot for real estate you have to be Part 107. Now you normally don't need to call or use the portal if you are not in Controlled Airspace. Most home you would be shooting hopefully are not in controlled airspace. You need to get a sectional for this. You are right, no real estate will wait 10 days for photos to be taken, let alone 90 days. And that 90 days is a guideline, it doesn't take that long, so I have heard. So if your client is within the controlled airspace, then tell them it will be a wait and most likely they won't want your services. Sorry, but it sucks and its the rules. So just move on to the next client.

It would be easier to have Part 107 just call in, but that would be too many people calling in I guess.

But I don't think you call ATC for hobby flying. You contact the airport. There is a difference.
I wonder you told you to just see and avoid a heliport. Not sure that is an FAA rule. FAA states that all hobbyist must contact and inform the airport (which includes seaports, heliports, etc) of your intentions. So be careful on that one.

Just make a list of all the airports in your area. Take 15 minutes and call and inform each one. Sounds like a lot of work, but its the rules unfortunately.
Don't wait to ask permission! Look on the sectionals and figure out the controlled airspace where you think potential customers might want you to fly. Submit your authorization requests for these area and ask for a couple of years. The current waiver requests that have been granted or for 4 years. Once your requests are approved (that timeline is still in question), you're good to go with minimal time lag.

If anyone is finding it difficult to fly around HB or OC, just go up the road a bit like I did on Saturday. It took me only 53 minutes to drive up there ...

That's some nice footage. Still I'm surprised you were not hassled by anyone other than the women you mentioned Sunday. Given you took off in a residential area.

That's some nice footage. Still I'm surprised you were not hassled by anyone other than the women you mentioned Sunday. Given you took off in a residential area.
For those that are curious, a lady walking her dog asked me if I was flying a "drone". I told her that my "quadcopter" was up there videoing the sign. She asked where it was and I pointed up there. She then asked if she could see my iPad display. I showed her. At that point, she did a total 180° and said, "Wow! That's amazing!". I think it was a relief to her to know that I wasn't a "paparazzi" type.

That neighborhood was cool in that it's quiet and not too busy. \

Here are my recommendations to anyone flying in "unknown territory" (e.g.not knowing if it is a UAV-friendly area or not):
  • Do your research ahead of time. Know the area with respect to the terrain, trees, and other vertical obstructions.
  • Do not "loiter" and fiddle around with your aircraft out in the open. Put your props on and other configuration/setup while it is in your car/trunk/boot. If you are on foot with your aircraft in a case/backpack/etc, quickly do this at the launch site.
  • Take your aircraft to the launch site and perform a compass calibration (if necessary)
  • Launch quickly to a good height (30 m or 100' or more) and do a quick controls check (yaw, rudder, etc).
  • Climb to cruising altitude (high enough to not be heard)
  • Do not hover close to the ground! (hovering draws attention and it also increases suspicion)
  • If asked about what you are doing, don't use the word "DRONE"! Refer to it as a quadcopter and say you are flying around as a hobby for recreational purposes (if that is what you are doing)
  • Land quickly (again, no hovering)
  • Take aircraft quickly to its hanger (your car, backpack, case, etc).
Happy Flying!

For those that are curious, a lady walking her dog asked me if I was flying a "drone". I told her that my "quadcopter" was up there videoing the sign. She asked where it was and I pointed up there. She then asked if she could see my iPad display. I showed her. At that point, she did a total 180° and said, "Wow! That's amazing!". I think it was a relief to her to know that I wasn't a "paparazzi" type.

That neighborhood was cool in that it's quiet and not too busy. \

Here are my recommendations to anyone flying in "unknown territory" (e.g.not knowing if it is a UAV-friendly area or not):
  • Do your research ahead of time. Know the area with respect to the terrain, trees, and other vertical obstructions.
  • Do not "loiter" and fiddle around with your aircraft out in the open. Put your props on and other configuration/setup while it is in your car/trunk/boot. If you are on foot with your aircraft in a case/backpack/etc, quickly do this at the launch site.
  • Take your aircraft to the launch site and perform a compass calibration (if necessary)
  • Launch quickly to a good height (30 m or 100' or more) and do a quick controls check (yaw, rudder, etc).
  • Climb to cruising altitude (high enough to not be heard)
  • Do not hover close to the ground! (hovering draws attention and it also increases suspicion)
  • If asked about what you are doing, don't use the word "DRONE"! Refer to it as a quadcopter and say you are flying around as a hobby for recreational purposes (if that is what you are doing)
  • Land quickly (again, no hovering)
  • Take aircraft quickly to its hanger (your car, backpack, case, etc).
Happy Flying!
Those are great recommendations. I was flying in a rural area the other day photographing a friend's house - and I hear the neighbor calling over to me. I get over to the fence and the guy doesn't appear particularly mad, but he's carrying a shotgun and saying if I photograph his property he'll shoot the bird down.

Reactions: SoCalDude
There you go. There are idiots all over the place. At that point you should have mentioned he been going to jail if he did so. I'm beginning to think that overly aggressive individuals have something to hide if they feel it necessary to confront us this was.

I met some drone pilots over the weekend at the HB pier. Friday, there were three of us there (two were flying). Saturday evening, there were two of us flying. Sunday evening, there were four drones in the air—three of us had launched from the same area, and I saw a fourth drone in the air down toward the water. I never saw that pilot. The skies are getting crowded! LOL!

Here's my video from Saturday night...

Reactions: Phil56
I met some drone pilots over the weekend at the HB pier. Friday, there were three of us there (two were flying). Saturday evening, there were two of us flying. Sunday evening, there were four drones in the air—three of us had launched from the same area, and I saw a fourth drone in the air down toward the water. I never saw that pilot. The skies are getting crowded! LOL!

SoCalDude, so did you get a waiver to fly at night? How long did that take?

I assume you are flying commercially because you have the video posted on YouTube under your company name. Am I missing something?

SoCalDude, so did you get a waiver to fly at night?
I flew that operation as a recreational mission.

I assume you are flying commercially because you have the video posted on YouTube under your company name. Am I missing something?
There is no such company. It's just a nickname for my personal YouTube channel. However, I will be taking my commercial 107 exam in the next couple of weeks.

It's probably not as bad as you think, Timothy. If you are flying recreationally, there are really only a few rules you need to know and abide by. Take a look at the chart on this page:
Getting Started

As far as commercial operations, you won't generally need to know where you want to fly "weeks or months" in advance. If you want to fly in Class G, no authorization required. Just go fly. If you want to fly in Class B, C, D, or Class E surface area, you would need an authorization but these will likely be processed fairly quickly once they get it rolling.

You can also ask for an on-going authorization for an area. Don't ask for too much or they may turn you down but you can ask for areas that you expect to need to operate and get an approval for up to four years.

Are they any flight restrictions in HB? I just bought a P4 and don't know where to fly it in orange county can you help me?

Are they any flight restrictions in HB? I just bought a P4 and don't know where to fly it in orange county can you help me?
The eastern side of HB is in Class C airspace, while the northwestern corner is in Class D airspace. (refer to sectional chart below)

Other than that, be aware of helipads--specifically the ones for police helis at Central Park and the Civic Center. Also, it is a city ordinance to not launch (or land) on city-owned parks. Follow these rules, as well as the FAA and community guidelines (e.g. AMA) and you should be good to go. There are more rules if flying commercially (e.g. FAA Part 107).

Gz4JzYt.jpg

Last edited:
The eastern side of HB is in Class C airspace, while the northwestern corner is in Class D airspace. (refer to sectional chart below(

Other than that, be aware of helipads--specifically the ones for police helis at Central Park and the Civic Center. Also, it is a city ordinance to not launch (or land) on city-owned parks. Follow these rules, as well as the FAA and community guidelines (e.g. AMA) and you should be good to go. There are more rules if flying commercially (e.g. FAA Part 107).

Gz4JzYt.jpg
who did u cal specifically to get approval to fly in this area? I don't see any restrictions in dana point so are they any regulations there?

who did u cal specifically to get approval to fly in this area? I don't see any restrictions in dana point so are they any regulations there?
There has been no need to call anyone in the places I have flown (at least in most of the places I have flown) ;)

For practice, I go to the model airplane airfield in Costa Mesa (Fairview Park). Although it's in Class C airspace, there is a perpetual COA for that specific area. As for Dana Point, I haven't researched the that city's regulations, so I don't know.

I flew Huntington Harbour this evening. While I'm post-processing the video, enjoy this photograph from the operation ...

uSybOLC.jpg

Hello all,

Been studying for my part 107 test and just recently bought the P4. My goal has been to start a drone business. Event video, construction survey and maybe real estate. I have been closely focused on the FAA rules evolving and once they became active on the 29th of August I figured I would be able to meet my goal without to much difficulty. However it never occurred to me to more closely check the state of things in my local area.

After spending many hours on the internet and this forum it seems there is only one place i can fly to practice my skill set without being harassed by police or other authorities. Understand that at this time I'm strictly recreational.

For the record I live in Huntington Beach CA. so i'm within five miles of John Wayne airport. I can practice at Fairview Park but it requires a permit from the city of Costa Mesa and I must become a member of the AMA in order to get the permit (for insurance coverage). That's all well and good at this time but surely there must be somewhere local that I can practice. I really don't want to have to deal with the soaring club and frequency issues etc. Surely there is a place i can go near by and not be illegal.

I'm seeking help from the forum to find other locations that don't require me to join AMA or acquire city permits. I would like to hear as well from existing Drone businesses regarding how your able to conduct your business here in the Orange County area. Are all you licensed pilots with 333 waivers? How are you able to survive in this apparent restrictive climate.

When I read the regs it seems straight forward but gets real confusing when you use an app like B4Ufly and the maps is virtually blanketed with yellow circles.

I know i'm missing something here. I understand I must contact KSNA tower and inform them of my intentions. Do i need to do that even at Fairview park? What about the soaring guys. Are they required to do the same now? I find it hard to believe the KSNA tower wants to field phone calls all day long from people wanting to fly drones. Understand It's not the tower contact that is confusing me as much as it is the apparent crack down by local cities here in OC (paranoid authorities) and uninformed law enforcement here that has me worried. I don't need a big fine or jail time! Airspace is the perview of FAA not some local city official.

I read the thread else where in the forum specifically talking about flying in OC. But most of the posts are old and out of date or it seems so based on my research. All I want to do at the moment is practice and not gain the attention of the local police.

Please help enhance my understanding. Otherwise I guess I will have to return my P4 or put it up for sale to some other uninformed idiot like myself. Sad, because I haven't even charged the batteries yet.

Thanks,
Tim

From the City of H Huntington Beach website:

As currently proposed, the drone ordinance only requires notification of operations – there is no permit fee. A permit fee for filming would only be required if the action was covered under the Commercial Photography Ordinance.
The City is working on a “Drone” informational webpage on the City website and will post information and educational materials on the issue in the near future.

Get the airmap app, turn on all the layers, fly outside of controlled airspace (there is plenty) and notify heliports etc. Listed by airmap.
Just make sure to turn on all the layers (leave heliports turned off so you can read the map though) the heliport names will still show after you hit the next button.

If you need a phone number that is not listed look at airnavcom.com/airports.

Took an early evening flight above Huntington Harbour recently. Enjoy ...

Another OC area that I flew in recently...

I did a quick, impromptu flight over the Chino Hills area. Not the best lighting as my flight path took me directly into the sun.

Reactions: Shan
I'm continuing to discover places around Huntington Beach to fly. Here I videoed my condo complex recently (Seabridge).

Additionally, tonight, I ran into a few other pilots with the same idea that I had—to video/photograph the super moon with the Huntington Beach pier in the foreground. We flew out past the pier and yawed our aircrafts toward the rising moon. I'll post some of those photos later. Tonight we had a fleet of three P4s, a Mavic, and a 3DR Solo. The police "HB One" helicopter knew where we were all flying and kept his distance. I think he was up there photographing and trying to get the same view as us. :D

Reactions: Phil56 and Shan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20