Seems I'm screwed!

Here is a link to the September 6, 2016 HB council meeting discussing the upcoming drone ordinance......
While I can't say that the video was exciting, it was nevertheless very interesting, and should be required viewing for everyone interested in community policies on drone usage.

Listening to the police officers describe their motivations for the restrictions proposed, and listening to their counsel describe his opinion on why the regulations would pass muster is a great insight into how the local government bureaucracies work and view drones. I personally think the attorney they used for answers was mistaken on several points, and the police offers are well intentioned but nevertheless misguided and would in fact wield the restrictions more grossly than the scalpel they suggest they are requesting.

Never said it was thriller LOL. If you have followed this thread from the top you know that as future commercial drone pilot I'm very concerned about how my city moves forward with this. A ray hope for us all?

I flew this place this evening. It's not Huntington Beach, but it's next door to it! I'm new to drones and this is my first true video from my brand new Phantom 4.

Max altitude: 67 meters (218 feet)
Max speed: 40 kph (24.4 mph)
Total distance: 3,537 meters (11,604 feet)
Farthest distance: 782 meters (2,564.3 feet)

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
As a new flyer, I've always wondered about these small, isolated heliports. I do not know how to contact them. There never seems to be anyone around, or I can get past closed gates to get to the heliport.

I thought I read somewhere that only if an airport or heliport has a control tower, that I need to give notice/ask permission. If there is no tower, does that mean I don't have to contact them?

Go to skyvector.com, find your airport and click on it! If you click the link for your airport in the picture "Aeroflex-Andover" it will bring you to the A/FD online. Scroll down to the "Ownership information" section and you will find a name, phone number etc. Whether the number still works is another question...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 6.06.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 6.06.59 PM.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 362
Here is a link to the September 6, 2016 HB council meeting discussing the upcoming drone ordinance.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjxuu7Ks7DPAhUT1GMKHbaFBC0QtwIIPjAF&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdVnFedjKzY&usg=AFQjCNFVir9D8s38BKty2xkxGpU6qGFBig&sig2=RDJ2utI8dyjb2dZsI7G2ew

Also promising. At least the PD is trying to work out the mess. The big take away from this is our police heli ops and everyones privacy. Don't fly any where near the The Golden West Heliport.

The PD chief sounded like they want the ordinance to give them more leeway to cite people. The lawyer at the end (about 31 minutes in) read some of the Huntington Beach ordinance where they also restrict flying unless you have approvals from anyone that is 300 feet horizontal to your drone, else a misdemeanor or fine. Lawyer said if he takes off in his front yard, he then has to get permission from all his neighbors around him within 300' and if one says "No," that's it, he cannot fly. He also mentioned the fine by the FAA for violating the TFR around some Huntington Beach event which is $250,000 and three years in jail for the violator who enters it.

They tabled the discussion on passage until a later date as they mentioned some county wide drone meeting at the end of the month for all LA or Orange County cities and will re-address it then.

Welcome to CA where the flying ain't easy - and barely legal.

Go to skyvector.com, find your airport and click on it! If you click the link for your airport in the picture "Aeroflex-Andover" it will bring you to the A/FD online. Scroll down to the "Ownership information" section and you will find a name, phone number etc. Whether the number still works is another question...
Thanks!

Unfortunately, the small helipads in my arera don't appear on these maps.

The PD chief sounded like they want the ordinance to give them more leeway to cite people. The lawyer at the end (about 31 minutes in) read some of the Huntington Beach ordinance where they also restrict flying unless you have approvals from anyone that is 300 feet horizontal to your drone, else a misdemeanor or fine. Lawyer said if he takes off in his front yard, he then has to get permission from all his neighbors around him within 300' and if one says "No," that's it, he cannot fly. He also mentioned the fine by the FAA for violating the TFR around some Huntington Beach event which is $250,000 and three years in jail for the violator who enters it.

They tabled the discussion on passage until a later date as they mentioned some county wide drone meeting at the end of the month for all LA or Orange County cities and will re-address it then.

Welcome to CA where the flying ain't easy - and barely legal.

I agree. PD wants an ordinance with teeth. But it's to give them citing power for idiots that have flown over the July 4 parade at 50 feet when it's been clearly published ahead of the event that the area is a no drone zone for the event. My take away was their trying not to step on the FAA rules. Your other points are them trying to sort out the mess. None of it is in force yet. I was encouraged and felt that their trying not to ban drones outright.

Also heard somewhere the US Congress is working on a bill to take all drone regulation power away from local authorities. I'm praying for that one if it's true. Have not been able to recall where I read or heard.

Not yet. I'm out of town at the moment.
I almost went to the wetlands tonight, but worked too late to make it in time. I may fly the pier area tomorrow evening and do the wetlands later.

Let me know how that goes re: police. I think wetlands is likely off limits since it 's a waterfowl sanctuary.

Let me know how that goes re: police. I think wetlands is likely off limits since it 's a waterfowl sanctuary.
I was thinking more on the southern/western end along Seapoint St and flying over the oil fields.

I was thinking more on the southern/western end along Seapoint St and flying over the oil fields.
I ended up there over the weekend. Check it out...

And nobody hassled you? Where did you park and launch from?
Nice video btw.
Thanks!

I parked on the side of Seapoint St., south of the entrance to the park and walked down to the water's edge (at least as far as I could go). I also parked at the north end of Overlook Dr. for the other part of the video.

No hassle. When I arrived at Seapoint St., there was a guy finishing a mission with his P3 Standard. He was just practicing with it.

Thanks!

I parked on the side of Seapoint St., south of the entrance to the park and walked down to the water's edge (at least as far as I could go). I also parked at the north end of Overlook Dr. for the other part of the video.

No hassle. When I arrived at Seapoint St., there was a guy finishing a mission with his P3 Standard. He was just practicing with it.

This came today regarding my email to the Chief of Police HBPD.

"As you already know, the City of Huntington Beach does not currently have a municipal code prohibiting the flight of UAS aircraft in the city limits. We are deferring to the rules and regulations set by the FAA. Residents will probably continue to call us either way and we will respond to confirm FAA compliance if we do respond. I am sure the City Attorney will re-draft the ordinance in the near future and give us all clear guidelines to UAS operations.

I would recommend you look at El Dorado Park in the city of Long Beach, where they have a designated UAS and aircraft park. It is only about 10 minutes outside the city and there are a lot of folks there who have a lot of knowledge and are willing to help anyone out who has questions.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,"

Tim

Lieutenant Tim Martin

Huntington Beach Police Department

Professional Standards Bureau

(714) 536-5983

cid:image001.jpg@01D21E57.DFC1E520

Yeah, I know that HB is still attempting to formulate a policy(s) on UAVs. In the meantime, I'm having fun in the 10 days that I've had my P4!

Near as I'm able to find out anyone I talk to says it's a nofly zone. That's why I hoping to hear from locals in my area as well as people running businesses since that is my ultimate goal.

I would interested in seeing any Municipal code that states flying in public airspace is against a city ordinance. I'm not doubting what you heard, but if a cop is going to cite you for doing something, it might be worth your time to not listen to some model airplane pilot but to go to the city or police department and ask.

That would be the equivalent of a city telling a news helicopter it can not fly above any part of the city. As long as you are abiding by the rules of the FAA who have jurisdiction of the airways (the city doesn't, i'm pretty sure) then I think you should be ok and I would challenge any city ordinance.

I might open a new thread on this topic. don't mean to hijack your efforts in finding a place to fly. If its just for fun and not commercial. Call the local airports, tell them you are flying at the Joe Smith Park and you will be under 400ft. and be done with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl