Can I fly in Class B and TFR as hobbyist

im not getting into a [Edited by Moderator] contest with anyone here

You already started that by wading in with your "Guys don’t quote regs to me please. I fly a jet for a living and I know all about TFRs" That's never a good approach, especially when it turns out not to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the ‘Web’ you can be whatever you want to be!!!

The ‘argument from authority’ is always a ‘red flag’ for me anyways.

Guys don’t quote regs to me please
I fly a jet for a living and I know all about TFRs
In fact there was one the other day that I was going to that I had to hold for 45 minutes before I had to divert to another airport
All of the time you have to be on an IFR flight plan and squawking a transponder code to even be considered to be let into a TFR
Exceptions being Necessary personel (air ambulance/ Law enforcement)
Yes while every circumstance is different the answer still remains NO

You created the fire storm with your broad blanket (and incorrect ) statement. When someone goes down the rabbit hole sometimes we need to cite regulations and real-world experiences so that others may learn and find their own path a little bit easier to navigate.

While I highly respect what you do for a living that doesn't make you an authority on sUAS operations and it's clear you have missed some important details. In post #15
I gave some very good and direct details about TFR's (in reference to sUAS operations) which should have sufficed.

For the record, I'm not speaking HYPOTHETICALLY I'm speaking from First Hand Experience. I've requested a TFR and I've flown within more than one TFR and did so legally. 1x was for an Airshow as a sUAS operator hired by the event coordinator to create content for their media campaign and 1x for the US Forest Service in support of a wild fire here in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

TFR's are very strict but there are exceptions and the rules aren't nearly as blanket as your comments indicate. In order to fly within a TFR in a manned aircraft is a whole other bucket of worms and does not pertain to sUAS operations what-so-ever.

Let's all take one deep breath and remember we're all here to learn and share our knowledge and experiences. We don't need to make it personal (I'm as guilty as anyone else).

You created the fire storm with your broad blanket (and incorrect ) statement. When someone goes down the rabbit hole sometimes we need to cite regulations and real-world experiences so that others may learn and find their own path a little bit easier to navigate.

While I highly respect what you do for a living that doesn't make you an authority on sUAS operations and it's clear you have missed some important details. In post #15
I gave some very good and direct details about TFR's (in reference to sUAS operations) which should have sufficed.

For the record, I'm not speaking HYPOTHETICALLY I'm speaking from First Hand Experience. I've requested a TFR and I've flown within more than one TFR and did so legally. 1x was for an Airshow as a sUAS operator hired by the event coordinator to create content for their media campaign and 1x for the US Forest Service in support of a wild fire here in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

TFR's are very strict but there are exceptions and the rules aren't nearly as blanket as your comments indicate. In order to fly within a TFR in a manned aircraft is a whole other bucket of worms and does not pertain to sUAS operations what-so-ever.

Let's all take one deep breath and remember we're all here to learn and share our knowledge and experiences. We don't need to make it personal (I'm as guilty as anyone else).
As always bud
All good

Reactions: BigAl07
I mentioned that the Class B airspace was on one side of the bank, but not on the other. If no TFR materializes, then wouldn’t I be good locating out of class B?
B4UFly is confusing with all the overlapping etc. I wonder if someone with better understanding of this map could determine if the east side, say over the Chase Bank, would be flyable.
Demolition bank is 1001 Southmore 77502. Chase bank is across the street a little east. Looks like1100 Southmore.

Thanks,
Geo

Looks like I found the TRF. Oh well...

Geo

Yes - there it is.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
The city web site said the demolition engineers would not be responsible for any damage to unauthorized drones. I guess they expect there to be some anyway. It won’t be mine.

Geo

You would need to be pretty close to suffer damage - controlled demolition explosions are engineered not to throw fragments much distance at all, or produce much in the way of air shocks, otherwise the repair bills for neighboring structures would get expensive fast.

each TFR when posted will list needed information, coordinates, altitude, etc. It will also list the controlling agency and a contact number and person. This agency can authorize flight into the TFR at their discretion. Most likely not a UAV because it has no transponder code, but that is how you get permission

each TFR when posted will list needed information, coordinates, altitude, etc. It will also list the controlling agency and a contact number and person. This agency can authorize flight into the TFR at their discretion. Most likely not a UAV because it has no transponder code, but that is how you get permission

The TFR is in post #30.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
The fact that you Know about TFRs and Controlled Airspace eliminates any potential to bypass any Rules and Regulations.
Next time I buy a drone I will look for instructions about Do's and Dont's. Is there an order in there to have the drone registered with the FAA?! Etc., etc. On the 21st you will have the local media flitting all over that site and they will have a dim view of you cutting into their revenue. So you little people grab your ankles ... You know the rest. This is merely sarcasm about the greater picture, oh yes, I spent 42 years in the air. Sadly but realistically: At the end of the day, you cannot legislate Safety.
Keep your Drone grounded and avoid being hit with the big Hammer.

simple answer is no
Neither can the film company weather they have a 107 or not if there’s a TFR in effect
A TFR is a flight restriction so that certain aircraft can fly in a certain place without other aircraft interfering. A TFR is not always to keep all aircraft from flying near something, though it is sometimes used for that. But if the city created the TFR and if the filmmakers that the city hired are part of the aircraft involved in the event, then they can fly there. But you sadly can't. Maybe you could set up some ground cameras and film the event, or go outside of the TFR and the controlled airspace and fly there, though you will probably not be very close to the subject.

You would need to be pretty close to suffer damage - controlled demolition explosions are engineered not to throw fragments much distance at all, or produce much in the way of air shocks, otherwise the repair bills for neighboring structures would get expensive fast.
Except for that one video of the guys that almost got hit by a piece of flying debris several blocks from a building implosion...[emoji2957]

Except for that one video of the guys that almost got hit by a piece of flying debris several blocks from a building implosion...[emoji2957]

Errors happen but that's pretty rare, and I've not seen any reports of someone actually being hit by demolition debris outside the exclusion zone.

Errors happen but that's pretty rare, and I've not seen any reports of someone actually being hit by demolition debris outside the exclusion zone.
I know but there is a 1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000 chance that a tiny drone might get hit by flying debris from an imploding building 2000 feet away!

Just kidding[emoji6]

I know but there is a 1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000 chance that a tiny drone might get hit by flying debris from an imploding building 2000 feet away!

Just kidding[emoji6]

But being in "Aviation" means doing everything in your ability to mitigate risk.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik