Seems I'm screwed!

I flew my drone out over the ocean to photograph the "Supermoon" tonight. Drone cameras aren't the best for very distant objects, such as supermoons, but here is the result of my flight. The orange tone of the moon was very evident being low on the horizon.

Tonight, my bird had company...two other P4's, a Mavic, a 3DR Solo, and "HB One" (police helicopter). LOL! The chopper stayed away from us and we stayed away from him. I think he was taking some cool photos, too. ;)

o2RQ7sU.jpg

"HB One" (police helicopter).

Speaking of helo's, 5 minutes after I ended a flight in Heritage Park, Dana Point on Sunday, this totally red 'chopper comes out of the west at 200 AGL, flies directly over head and heads off back west again. Any clue as who that was?

BTW, I recall mention of the pier and how one side of the Huntington Beach Pier is under different jurisdiction. Can someone amplify on that ?

Last edited:
Speaking of helo's, 5 minutes after I ended a flight in Heritage Park, Dana Point on Sunday, this totally red 'chopper comes out of the west at 200 AGL, flies directly over head and heads off back west again. Any clue as who that was?
I have no idea, but when I was a Aliso and Woods Canyon a month or so ago (just hiking), a chopper came out of nowhere, circled a couple of times and disappeared. I would guess his altitude was probably around 400' AGL (or a little lower).

BTW, I recall mention of the pier and how one side of the Huntington Beach Pier is under different jurisdiction. Can someone amplify on that ?
Well, the airspace on both sides of the pier is National Air Space and has nothing to do with HB—and it appears to be Class G airspace. The physical beach itself (on both sides) is the Huntington City Beach and the actual pier is a city structure.

Does make me wonder why anyone would want to fly near an airport of any sort ?
For example, if you are inspecting a radio tower that is in restricted airspace. Or maybe, surveying farmland that is close to an airport. There are many reasons . . .

Which poses the question, what did people do before they had drones, the restrictions are there to hopefully ensure that accidents and collisions do not occur but I'm afraid that I get the impression that some people feel that these rules shouldn't apply to them and that they know best.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Which poses the question, what did people do before they had drones...
Back then, they spent way too much money to do things that drones do (relatively) inexpensively today. Instead of flying a drone up to check the top of a radio tower, they had to hire an expensive company/person to climb said tower. Instead of flying a large farmland area to inspect crops, they walked it and maybe missed insect-infested or water-deficient sections, resulting is lower yields. On movie sets, expensive full-sized helicopter rentals were used. And so on and so forth...

Woo-hoo! I passed my simulated Part 107 exam after taking the online Remote Pilot 101 (via MZero Aviation) course! I got 57 out of 60 questions correct, for a score of 95%.

My goal has been to pass the Part 107 exam before Thanksgiving, so I'm going to take the actual exam this week.

huwqjZR.png

Last edited:
Woo-hoo! I passed my simulated Part 107 exam after taking the online Remote Pilot 101 (via MZero Aviation) course! I got 57 out of 60 questions correct, for a grade of 95%.

My goal has been to pass the Part 107 exam before Thanksgiving, so I'm going to take the actual exam this week.

huwqjZR.png
Congrats Les, I'm sure you will ace the test. Good luck!

Reactions: SoCalDude

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4