Canadas new restrictions on RPAS pilots, and where to fly in SE ontario

Reaction score
Hey all, fairly new pilot here. Been flying for about 8 months on small under 300G flyers. recently got a steal of a deal on a P3s. June first is looming, and I am dreading the date. starting to maybe have a little buyers remorse. My understanding is, anything inside the gradiented purple line is class E airspace, which means, no RPAS without SFOC. I hope someone with more experience can chime in, and corroborate this, or debunk it. FWIW I AM interested in getting my advanced ticket (have basic), but youd still require an SFOC, and insurance (HA!) to conduct any flights WITHIN that ring (on TOP OF permission from any land owners)

Seems like excessive bureaucratic red tape. The simple basic test was already a joke. I think there was 2 questions asked pertaining to multi rotor aircraft. I understand the premise however they want it to be taken seriously. To add to this, if you were to zoom out further on the VFR chart, and consult a legend, you will notice the airspace from the edge of the border abutting, is also E-class (at a higher altitude) I have attached a map below showing basically what is classified as "g class airspace" in Souther ontario.

G class is denoted as the green shaded areas, the red shaded areas are all E-class. Basically you can only fly your RPAS AND NOW MODEL EVERYTHING within those green boundaries, in order to comply with the transport canada rules. (I also believe a large area covered is also protected lands, IE cant fly there either)

In short, I REALLY HOPE I am very wrong, and my my understanding of the material, and the test I took, is wrong.

I have included a link to the original for review of the appropriate markings.

Check the altitude limits. I think those purple areas apply a higher than we are allowed to fly anywhere.

I checked with the NRC map for my area (Toronto) and found that there were lots of little airports I didn't know about, but lots of places to fly too. And there's a difference between a registered and certified aerodrome. This video from Don Joyce may help:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20