Reaction score
I have seen this question on here but it didn't help me too much. So after crashing the Phantom, the roll arm was bent (see photo) and it is doing things like tilting the camera sideways up and down. It is just bent in that way and just that part (to my knowledge) that is broken. My questions are:
1) is it an easy repair to do with little knowledge?
2) are the $20 arms on ebay good quality?
3) would it be easier to take it apart and bent it back into place?

75353-cc41cf9855585df6fda0d4422a5da77a.jpg

Any and all help is much appreciated :)

is it an easy repair to do with little knowledge?
You can see the repair process here.

are the $20 arms on ebay good quality?
DJI does not sell roll arm replacements, so your only choice will be a 3rd party replacement if you don't send your Phantom into DJI for repair. FStop Labs is known for making good replacement parts. You can get a roll arm from them here. If you suspect that other gimbal parts might be damaged (e.g. the gimbal ribbon cable), you can spend a little bit more and buy a package of gimbal replacement parts here.

would it be easier to take it apart and bent it back into place?
I guess the question is more whether or not it's possible to bend it back perfectly and to do it without breaking the roll arm. Since the replacement roll arm is available at such a low cost, I'd personally replace it after going through the trouble of taking the gimbal apart. It certainly would not hurt anything to attempt bending it back though.

You can see the repair process here.

DJI does not sell roll arm replacements, so your only choice will be a 3rd party replacement if you don't send your Phantom into DJI for repair. FStop Labs is known for making good replacement parts. You can get a roll arm from them here. If you suspect that other gimbal parts might be damaged (e.g. the gimbal ribbon cable), you can spend a little bit more and buy a package of gimbal replacement parts here.

I guess the question is more whether or not it's possible to bend it back perfectly and to do it without breaking the roll arm. Since the replacement roll arm is available at such a low cost, I'd personally replace it after going through the trouble of taking the gimbal apart. It certainly would not hurt anything to attempt bending it back though.

Yeah I was thinking it would be a little hard to bend back into place. Thanks for your thoughts and I will be buying the arm and attempt it myself :)

Yeah I was thinking it would be a little hard to bend back into place. Thanks for your thoughts and I will be buying the arm and attempt it myself :)
A user here from FStop-Labs suggested that my similarly bent roll arm could be straightened, and suggested heating it up as it is very hard.
I did as he suggested, and used a square to make sure it was correct and all went well.

A user here from FStop-Labs suggested that my similarly bent roll arm could be straightened, and suggested heating it up as it is very hard.
I did as he suggested, and used a square to make sure it was correct and all went well.
I am a little reluctant to do that, I am also a little worried about taking apart the gimbal. I haven't really seen a good tutorial on how to. I will attempt it I think

I had to replace the yaw arm on my gimbal, here's my video detailing how I did it. Sorry it's over an hour long due to the complexity.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is it a hard repair to do?
Not sure who you are asking. I'll be answer anyway. It was simple.
I disassembled everything, placed the bent roll arm in a vice (using thin wood slats to prevent damage to the roll arm from the metal vice jaws), heated with a torch, and returned the roll arm to it's correct shape/angle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic