Removing alt restriction is possible

Reaction score
So I was chatting to a friend of mine who is very computer nerdy. I mentioned this new altitude restriction on p3 pro and he said he can do a workaround to remove it. (Not easy but doable) Is it something people want or should I just talk him out of it?

Reactions: D4T_PoM and Reed L
I don't necessarily want it, but I'm interested to hear how he plans on doing it.

While it is very possible to "get around" that limitation (just like you can jail break/hack your mobile phone) odds are the very next upgrade will fix the break. It's an ongoing cat & mouse game and if you ever have a problem if they see evidence of a hack I'd say you're SOL on getting support.

It's a gamble that some find worth while and others simply don't bother.

Reactions: DroneWorxUK
I personally wouldn't use it as I'd only be operating within a permit anyway. He wants to use my p3 as test bed. Lol. I said not.

Reactions: RoyVa
I find that 500 meters or 1650 feet covers 99% of what I would ever need; however there could be times where this restriction could be a burden such as mountain filming, but again, this is a slim need as I see it. Limitations I find more restrictive involve the 500 meter way point limitation. For example, if I want to get a clean line while filming a moving object such as a bicycle, I can only go a third of a mile before having to disrupt filming and really staging but it is what it is. I'm just happy and blown away that we all can have this technology at all so I see it as a win win.

While it is very possible to "get around" that limitation (just like you can jail break/hack your mobile phone) odds are the very next upgrade will fix the break. It's an ongoing cat & mouse game and if you ever have a problem if they see evidence of a hack I'd say you're SOL on getting support.

It's a gamble that some find worth while and others simply don't bother.
"Get around the limitations "then stop the app from going online to check for updates.
With every release of OS for Android an apple eventually end up being jailbroke or rooted

I'm more interested to hear how he plans to hack the sdk to override the hard limit.

I find that 500 meters or 1650 feet covers 99% of what I would ever need; however there could be times where this restriction could be a burden such as mountain filming, but again, this is a slim need as I see it. Limitations I find more restrictive involve the 500 meter way point limitation. For example, if I want to get a clean line while filming a moving object such as a bicycle, I can only go a third of a mile before having to disrupt filming and really staging but it is what it is. I'm just happy and blown away that we all can have this technology at all so I see it as a win win.
Yes, since you have to fly to each waypoint before you can set it, the only reason to limit the radius from the homepoint to 500m is to enforce VLOS on the use of all waypoints, which defeats their purpose for my use. I often fly to the same locations that may be 2+ miles away, and automating the flight there, rather than needing to manually fly there, would speed up the process, so I can maximixe the photo time upon arrival, and then return. I can automatically fly home via RTH, if I wanted to, but I can't fly to destination X automatically, unless it is within 500m. It's a shame. :( I can do it on the P2v+, but the camera doesn't hold a candle to the P3P!

Reactions: huntjock
"Get around the limitations "then stop the app from going online to check for updates.
With every release of OS for Android an apple eventually end up being jailbroke or rooted
Where there is a will, there is a way....:D

Yes, since you have to fly to each waypoint before you can set it, the only reason to limit the radius from the homepoint to 500m is to enforce VLOS on the use of all waypoints, which defeats their purpose for my use. I often fly to the same locations that may be 2+ miles away, and automating the flight there, rather than needing to manually fly there, would speed up the process, so I can maximixe the photo time upon arrival, and then return. I can automatically fly home via RTH, if I wanted to, but I can't fly to destination X automatically, unless it is within 500m. It's a shame. :( I can do it on the P2v+, but the camera doesn't hold a candle to the P3P!

that 500m is a bummer, can you work around it by moving your home point...or moving youself?

I'm with most of the people - 500m is plenty for almost all flights. I rarely go over 400' let alone 500m but there are a couple of really cool small mountains nearby that are more like 700m above where I can conveniently launch it would be really cool to be able to fly all the way up. So I would be interested in a solution but wouldn't pay much for it since I very rarely would need it.

I mentioned this new altitude restriction on p3 pro and he said he can do a workaround to remove it.
New altitude restriction?? It's been there since DJI sold the first Phantom 3.
that 500m is a bummer, can you work around it by moving your home point...or moving youself?
The 500m height limit is "above ground level" limit I hope.
It's 500 metres above your launch point - your Phantom doesn't know ground level, sea level or any height except home = zero.

Most people understand your issue and for those who need clafying ,Let me help you Op ...... .....
I mentioned this new altitude restriction Now implimented within 3rd party apps like Litchi that was Not there before the latest updates on p3 pro and he said he can do a workaround

Reactions: DroneWorxUK
Although I would rarely use it, on those occasions it would be critical to have more altitude than 500M, in particular the canyon areas of Utah and Arizona. I suppose if I start on the rim/top of a canyon and go BELOW my take off level, this would be the work around for me that comes to mind... but that is not always possible.

Reactions: huntjock and Reed L
Simple - start it in a vacuum :). It will think it's in outer space and you can fly wherever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I would rarely use it, on those occasions it would be critical to have more altitude than 500M, in particular the canyon areas of Utah and Arizona. I suppose if I start on the rim/top of a canyon and go BELOW my take off level, this would be the work around for me that comes to mind... but that is not always possible.
Nope. The descent limitation of 200m is even more onerous! I just learned about that limitation tonight! I never realized there was a descent limitation, and it makes no sense to me! Are there UFO's flying below ground that own that airspace? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers