Removing alt restriction is possible

Would it break any rules if the 500M height restriction imposed by DJI firmware was circumvented to allow an unrestricted flying height?
Only if there was a 400 or 500 foot AGL limitation, and somone exceeded that any where during their flight, by circumventing the 500m height maximum above their launch location, which happens already, even at 400 feet above your launch point, by simply flying over descending topography below you horizontally.

The reason for the extra "headroom" to 500m above 400 feet, above your launch point is to be able to still climb 1,665 feet up a nearby hill/mountain, following 400 feet above the terrain below. It is not intended to be used to fly to 500m directly above your launch point, although it can!

The more "headroom" you have above 400 feet, the farther up a mountainside you can climb from below, while maintaining a constant above ground level elevation as you climb. DJI limits you to 200 meters of descent below and 500m of ascent above the launch point, so you can cover a 700m change in elevation, as long as you launch from 200m above the lowest elevation you wish to cover. That handles all of of my needs, and the wants can be worked around those limitations, by climbing/driving up the hill and launching in steps, to cover the entire elevation desired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddzilla
To answer your question

It might in some situations - that depends on how and where you fly - and that's up to you as the pilot to determine.

I agree with you that it should be up to me as the pilot to determine, but DJI obviously does not agree with us.

I agree with you that it should be up to me as the pilot to determine, but DJI obviously does not agree with us.
and if you are located in the US of A, the FAA might not agree either-- or the National Parks Service-- or the local and State Police-- or the Sheriff's department-- there is no end to restrictions on the airspace and DJI is not the sole authority for establishing these restrictions-- but they are easy to pick on.

I do not live in the US of A.

Why wouldn't DJI be the sole authority for establishing their own firmware restrictions?

Why wouldn't DJI be the sole authority for establishing their own firmware restrictions?
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
DJI set the limit but haven't shared their reasoning for it.
It's only guesswork to suggest it's to keep Phantoms from interacting with other air traffic - which is still quite a possibility within 500m anyway and even under 400 feet in some places.
If it's really a big problem for you, there are enough other drones without or build yourself options to try.
Or if you can live with it, the Phantom is a great machine that can do most things most owners desire of it almost of the time.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Who said it's a really big problem for me? I already know I'm free to choose other products out there.

Is it a really big problem discussing certain aspects of my P3P here? It seems like some enquiries here are interpreted as picking on DJI?

While understanding the reasoning behind the firmware limits imposed by DJI might be interesting, I'm more interested in discussing ways to circumvent those limitations. Is that allowed in this forum?

Last edited:
Is it a really big problem discussing certain aspects of my P3P here? It seems like some enquiries here are interpreted as picking on DJI?
I'm more interested in discussing ways to circumvent those limitations. Is that allowed in this forum?
As long as you comply with the forum guidelines, you can discuss whatever you like.
Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: GadgetGuy
and if you are located in the US of A, the FAA might not agree either-- or the National Parks Service-- or the local and State Police-- or the Sheriff's department-- there is no end to restrictions on the airspace and DJI is not the sole authority for establishing these restrictions-- but they are easy to pick on.
In all candor, DJI is really the just proactive messenger, and not the one responsible for the soon to come more restrictive Rules, but DJI will also soon be be accountable for enforcing them, to the best of their ability. The current platform changes of locking down the SDK parameters for developers to those DJI sets in DJI GO, and preventing rollbacks after 1.5 to only the immediately prior version, are necessary for controlling what you can do and can't do with your bird, as soon to be dictated by the FAA, and any other government entity abroad.

Last edited:
There are no 100 MPH speed zones in the US either yet many vehicles can travel that fast and auto manufacturers don't regulate the speed of their vehicles. Enforcement should be left up to the owner and those who are trained to enforce.

Reactions: John Locke

DJI wants to play nicely with all regulators in the U.S., and internationally, to protect their present and future business interests. That requires exerting control over the hardware through country specific firmware and software restrictions, for which DJI appears to now be laying the groundwork.

There are no 100 MPH speed zones in the US either yet many vehicles can travel that fast and auto manufacturers don't regulate the speed of their vehicles. Enforcement should be left up to the owner and those who are trained to enforce.
Actually, many modern performance vehicles do have RPM limiters in the name of protecting you from blowing up the engine by over-revving it, and yet racing drivers frequently redline the tachometer for performance gains in a race. Everyone wants to be our nanny! "They" know what's best for us. Free will is dangerous! Autonomous self driving cars will soon replace us driving our cars, because autonomous self driving cars will eventually be safer than human drivers. The computers are safer at multitasking like texting and driving! They also don't drive drunk or sleepy!

All the "autonomous flight modes" DJI offers are automating your current manual flying control, while also restricting exactly how and what they will automate. P3P waypoints are way more restrictive than prior waypoints on the P2. Dynamic Home Point exists on the P2, but the Home Point Resetting on the P3 is not dynamic but static. You have to keep resetting it manually to keep up with your changing position. Everything is being locked down. Just the way it is. Get used to it, or build your own, in which case you will still be subject to the same restrictions DJI must comply with, to sell their quads in your country, while flying your multi rotor in the same airspace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddzilla
IMO, guessing the reasons for DJI imposed firmware limitations seems redundant (and talked to death already) compared to finding possible work-a-rounds for those limitations.

IMO, guessing the reasons for DJI imposed firmware limitations seems redundant (and talked to death already) compared to finding possible work-a-rounds for those limitations.
I'm all for workarounds! :cool:
Let's bring them on! :D
Measures and counter-measures!

Right, but the 500m limit is already 3 times the FAA height limit.

Thats some thing I would not use much but would be nice to have if and when its needed. plus just having it unlocked for the sake of it being its MINE and does not belong to dji is good enough of a reason to by pass the restriction just because I am an American citizen and there for its just not right or very patriotic to blindly except limitations placed on MY belongings by some people who are not even law makers in china nore are these commies elected and have the power to impose there laws on some one some were out side of Communist china. If they want to go be big brother they can go do it to some one else in some other country were they are sheep that follow blindly and obay any thing there masters tell them.

Just to by pass it for the sake of it is reason enough that any one thats got a spine or even a drop of red american blood in them should want to do it just so its not there. and for no other reason then just because...........

Right, but the 500m limit is already 3 times the FAA height limit.

Well ya but the FAA does not cover the entire world. or have limits out side there jurisdiction and also not every one is a commercial drone pilot subject to there regulations.

Well I am a relatively new flyer on maybe an hour flight time on my p3p and it has been flawless so far .... but one of the main reasons I was given the bird was to do mountain shots which is near impossible with these restrictions ... the rocks are very high and no matter where u ou start high or low you will hit the limit before you run out of available flight time... it's very discouraging and limiting.... people should be adult enough to make good dicisions about where and when they fly.... I would welcome a work around ... I might not use it often but it would be nice to use it when I needed it

Well ya but the FAA does not cover the entire world. or have limits out side there jurisdiction and also not every one is a commercial drone pilot subject to there regulations.
I was responding to a post regarding the US.

And in the US, recreational users are subject to the FAA guidelines.

So I was chatting to a friend of mine who is very computer nerdy. I mentioned this new altitude restriction on p3 pro and he said he can do a workaround to remove it. (Not easy but doable) Is it something people want or should I just talk him out of it?
I take it from your name you are in the UK. If so a loud NO as the legal limit here is 400ft, drones get enough bad press when flying, without some smart *** making it worse by breaking the law!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31