P3 battery storage example - how long ...

Reaction score
OK ... some ask about storage and how long they can leave them. We see so many answers that really there seems to be no real one.

I have maintained that a general eye should be kept on the charge level of the battery and if it gets to 1 solid + 1 flashing LED .... its time to full charge and let Auto system do its job again. Basically to avoid letting battery get into Hibernation Mode.

I can now report results of a close friend who has not flown his P3P since September 2017.

We were chatting about various and I asked him when he last flew it ... which led me to advise him to check his batterys !

He has BOTH batterys only showing 1 Led ......

So that is September 2017 - he placed on shelf fully charged and its now end of February 2018 and BOTH batterys showing only 1 LED.

That equates to about a 75% self discharge over approx. 5 months.

He is now charging them up to stop any further drain and possible Hibernation mode !!

We do not say everyone will experience same - but I can say this .... he is an experienced RC person and knows his LiPo's ... he also has DJI batterys that have had only minimal use.

Nigel

Reactions: JoBe
Compare that to the LiPo of my Samsung S5, which I left at 60 percent charged and came back to 8 months later and found it at 52% charge. And other people that let the P4 batteries sit and end up with dead batteries.

But your S5 does not have auto discharge ..... that's the difference.

People mistakenly believe that the auto discharge stops at about 55% ... no it does not . All that happens is that discharge slows down .. but it still continues.

Nigel

I have not had a chance of a flight since about the same time.

The 'worst' state I have is 1xP3 showing a bare 2 LEDs.
I have another 2xP3 showing 2+ 1x flash.
Two other P3 are showing 3 steady but these were topped up in anticipation of a quick flight a few weeks ago.

I have 2x P4 (Standards) never used yet. Initial starter charge last May 2017.
These are showing 3 steady LEDs.
I also have 2 (Higher Rated) P4 still in their boxes unused.

Maybe your friend has had more use with his batteries than I have had?
Neither my P3~Standard or P3~PRo has been pushed much and the P4 has had only one flight for testing purposes. I would have liked to have had a lot more flight time but I have a reliance on others for transport.

HTH and helps in your survey.
Cheers, Alan.

Cheers .... all goes in the pot ..

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic