Pre-newbie trying to learn the very basics

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a few much lesser drones and learned some basic things but next week I should be getting my first Phantom 3 Advanced. It's manufacturer refurbished so hopefully in great condition. I read somewhere that it has some sort of visual positioning as well as GPS and that it's a good idea to turn off the visual when flying outside because that's more for flying indoors and can give conflicting information with the GPS. Can anyone confirm that and explain how to turn off the visual?

Does the controller have a rechargeable battery? I've never used anything that needs a phone with the correct app to fly it and don't know how to get the app or how to link it to the drone. Can anyone recommend some threads or tutorials they feel do a good job explaining such basic things from the ground up?

Thank you for any help or suggestions trying to learn about this!
David
GA, USA

As for Visual Positioning, Yes you can turn that off within the app itself. I just leave it off and never use it personally. And yes, the controller has a rechargeable battery. The DJI GO app is free from either the play store or itunes, depending on the device you plan to use ( Android or IOS). Feel free to ask anything around here you are curious about. You can find answers to almsot everything you could want to know. Welcome Aboard!

Also, the best advice first Read the manual over, and over and over a third time. That will get you started and you will also find that some things are not in the manual, but will be covered in a thread here someplace.

Hi,

I've had a few much lesser drones and learned some basic things but next week I should be getting my first Phantom 3 Advanced. It's manufacturer refurbished so hopefully in great condition. I read somewhere that it has some sort of visual positioning as well as GPS and that it's a good idea to turn off the visual when flying outside because that's more for flying indoors and can give conflicting information with the GPS. Can anyone confirm that and explain how to turn off the visual?

Does the controller have a rechargeable battery? I've never used anything that needs a phone with the correct app to fly it and don't know how to get the app or how to link it to the drone. Can anyone recommend some threads or tutorials they feel do a good job explaining such basic things from the ground up?

Thank you for any help or suggestions trying to learn about this!
David
GA, USA
Welcome to the forum David.

One thing I hope you think about is NOT updating the firmware at least until you know that your P3A works as it should. So many people have posted here saying that they just blindly updated FW right away, botched the update somehow, didn't know if the P3 was working before or not, and had no idea at all which FW versions they had originally. FW updates are optional, so please try to understand if your P3 works first, how to do the updates correctly, and what each update offers before you make any changes.

As for the VPS. I never turn mine off because I enjoy very low level flight just skimming the ground like Neil Armstrong flying the lunar module over the surface of the moon looking for a good landing spot. Higher than a few meters, the VPS is not relevant anyway. So as I said I just never turn it off. I never really think about it at all in fact.

If you are interested, click here for many other tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

The Phantom Help site is also a wonderful resource and is maintained by the most prolific and one of the most knowledgeable contributors on the forum, @msinger.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just leave the VPS on and ignore it. Find a big open field, with no trees, and no people, and no livestock, and little wind. Stay close and enjoy, post your feedback and problems here, this is a very friendly forum, most times.
The Phantoms are very easy to fly in GPS mode, but you will need to learn to fly in ATTI,eventually, but only after you are very comfortable in GPS.
I remember my early flights nearly 4 years ago, very exciting, and I still fly 2-3 times per week.

Thank you people for your help!!! I've already got a question. I downloaded the DJI GO App to my phone and fought through the registration stuff finally getting it to open, but then it doesn't show a Phantom 3 it shows an Inspire and has options for Inspire 1 Raw or Inspire 1. So did I download the wrong app or will it figure out what drone is around when I finally get it and plug the phone into the controller and whatever else?

Last edited:
Try sliding your screen by putting your finger on the right side and dragging it to the left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72