Trying to learn very basic things about Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hi,

I've played around with Syma X5Cs a bit and would like to move on to something better. At this point a Phantom 3 Standard seems like a good next step. I've got some very basic questions like can you move the camera using the remote control, or if not by using a phone, or is it stationary however you set it? Will the camera accept a chip or something you can record to or does all recording have to be to a phone? Is this where I should be asking questions like this?

Thank you for any help learning these things!
David
GA, USA

You can adjust the camera pitch (-90 to +30deg) from horizontal. The camera gimble takes a micro SD card where video and images are stored (it is also used for AC firmware updates).

..... and I suggest you pay a bit more money and get an Advanced or a bit more still and get a Pro. At some point you'll want the additional range and the signal reassurance that Lightbridge gives over the wifi system used on the Standard.

Reactions: Dan C and Neon Euc
The standard is great value for money, but if you can afford the higher spec versions go for them. Extra battery or 2 will extend your fun time!

I have a lot of enjoyment in my phantom 3 standard. The limited range really is not a concern yet, yes it will be nice to have more range but this bird has been so great in everything I recorded on that really I don't need to expend money on something else.

..... and I suggest you pay a bit more money and get an Advanced or a bit more still and get a Pro. At some point you'll want the additional range and the signal reassurance that Lightbridge gives over the wifi system used on the Standard.
Perfectly said. I started with a standard and couldn't get on with the low WiFi range. The advanced made a massive difference. Went from 100 meters out and lose signal on the standard to just under 3 miles on the advanced. And I could have gone further but I came back as I didn't want to risk the battery

Hi,

I've played around with Syma X5Cs a bit and would like to move on to something better. At this point a Phantom 3 Standard seems like a good next step. I've got some very basic questions like can you move the camera using the remote control, or if not by using a phone, or is it stationary however you set it? Will the camera accept a chip or something you can record to or does all recording have to be to a phone? Is this where I should be asking questions like this?

Thank you for any help learning these things!
David
GA, USA

I just started flying my P3S - and using the Camera. The camera is fixed straight ahead on the quad. As a previous post said, you pivot the camera Vertically about 20 degrees above the front plane to straight down, via a finger wheel on the controller. The gyro on the camera offsets any bumps from the wind, or flying meneuvers. You need to Yaw the Quad to change it's direction. This can be done easily with the Left Yaw stick.

I have a lot of enjoyment in my phantom 3 standard. The limited range really is not a concern yet, yes it will be nice to have more range but this bird has been so great in everything I recorded on that really I don't need to expend money on something else.
Can you fly it until it looks like a little speck? I would think so, since the Syma would do that. What's the advantage of going farther? There would have to be a big advantage since the advanced seems to be about twice the price of something I'd already consider a big expense.

Last edited:
Perfectly said. I started with a standard and couldn't get on with the low WiFi range. The advanced made a massive difference. Went from 100 meters out and lose signal on the standard to just under 3 miles on the advanced. And I could have gone further but I came back as I didn't want to risk the battery
It's not just a bit more money though. It's about twice the price. I saw an advanced advertised for $400 in classifieds in this forum and would probably have bought that but the guy never emailed me a second time so he probably sold it. What's the use in going 3 miles away though? Can you even see it at that point? Is it for height or for distance?

I just started flying my P3S - and using the Camera. The camera is fixed straight ahead on the quad. As a previous post said, you pivot the camera Vertically about 20 degrees above the front plane to straight down, via a finger wheel on the controller. The gyro on the camera offsets any bumps from the wind, or flying meneuvers. You need to Yaw the Quad to change it's direction. This can be done easily with the Left Yaw stick.
Thank you and thank all of you!!! for your help. That cleared it up for me. At first I thought he meant it would pivot horizontally but now I see what he was saying and it makes sense. So to be sure, you can have the vehicle (what do you call the "vehicle"?) hover in place and pivot, or Yaw, left to right and with the finger wheel make the camera pivot up and down, correct?

It's not just a bit more money though. It's about twice the price. I saw an advanced advertised for $400 in classifieds in this forum and would probably have bought that but the guy never emailed me a second time so he probably sold it. What's the use in going 3 miles away though? Can you even see it at that point? Is it for height or for distance?
It's not just about the increased range. I suspect that despite what you think now there might be occasions when you will appreciate the benefit of being able to fly further. Even if that is not the case you will always enjoy the greater ability of the P3A & P to tolerate RF interference from wifi routers and other sources. In some urban environments the standard is lucky to fly 200ft without issues.

It's not just about the increased range. I suspect that despite what you think now there might be occasions when you will appreciate the benefit of being able to fly further. Even if that is not the case you will always enjoy the greater ability of the P3A & P to tolerate RF interference from wifi routers and other sources. In some urban environments the standard is lucky to fly 200ft without issues.
I can't afford $500. I could barely afford $400. So at this point it's a standard or nothing. I did recently order a LiDiRC L15W for $37 and that may end up being good enough. At least I can afford that sort of price. If I could get a P3A for $300-$400 I'd probably give it a shot. What about range extenders? I've seen people say they double their range with them, and if they're a reasonable price I could probably afford to modify later. Would they help with the RF interference?

I can't afford $500. I could barely afford $400. So at this point it's a standard or nothing. I did recently order a LiDiRC L15W for $37 and that may end up being good enough. At least I can afford that sort of price. If I could get a P3A for $300-$400 I'd probably give it a shot. What about range extenders? I've seen people say they double their range with them, and if they're a reasonable price I could probably afford to modify later. Would they help with the RF interference?

I use a standard and a parabolic that I bought for 10 bucks. It increase the range a little.

I also saw an app on the android store where you can adjust the remote control output power and a lot of people gave it great ratings. For the life of me I can't remember what its called but hope someone can chime in

If you want to save a few bucks, you can pick a P3S used for under $400. People sell them on this site and you can buy DJI refurbished units that will have a warranty. Newegg is an authorized reseller of new and refurb DJI drones.

Nobody trying to twist your arm here- just answering your questions in the hope you can make an informed choice.

Range extenders do work and have the benefit of reducing interference in most circumstances (assumption being that the source of interference is outside the area of highest gain if the panel/reflector assisted standard antenna).

Thank you and thank all of you!!! for your help. That cleared it up for me. At first I thought he meant it would pivot horizontally but now I see what he was saying and it makes sense. So to be sure, you can have the vehicle (what do you call the "vehicle"?) hover in place and pivot, or Yaw, left to right and with the finger wheel make the camera pivot up and down, correct?
Correct.

You an also rotate the drone while hovering or use the rotate feature to make smooth turns while going forward.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik