Phantom 4 Pro Back From Repair/Replace - Now This....

Reaction score
Hi, All!

My repaired (replaced?) Phantom 4 Pro arrived in the post today and I was eager to get back in the air. Upon relinking it with DJI Go 4 app on my iPhone, I noted the alert that said that the aircraft needed a firmware update. That seemed to go well. Then, another alert for a firmware update to the remote controller, which....didn't. The update aborted about 10% of the way into the process and left me with a controller that seems to be "bricked" (see attached screenshot). Is there a way to recover without reaching out to DJI support?

Thanks!
Angie

Attachments

• IMG_1740.PNG
    IMG_1740.PNG
    306.8 KB · Views: 391
why why why why why why why why why why would you take a GAMBLE with updating the firmware BEFORE even checking if it was stable as is after post after post after post after post of nightmares about updating the firmware:fearscream:

why why why why why why why why why why would you take a GAMBLE with updating the firmware BEFORE even checking if it was stable as is after post after post after post after post of nightmares about updating the firmware:fearscream:

Ya know, Jeff, with that sort of emoting you should have been present at the Hindenburg disaster. They could have used you as a news reporter on the scene...OH! The humanity! Why, why, why, why, why, why, why....

I've flashed firmware in literally hundreds of devices over many years in IT. Everything from tiny sensors to datacenter class servers. In all of those times, I've had probably five or less that failed or that were not easily recoverable. And yes, I only apply GA'd (fully tested and released code) from the vendor.

So, as I was saying...the bird returned for repairs and I did attempt to take off without applying any firmware updates to bird or controller. But...I kept receiving various errors regarding loss of signal, unable to obtain GPS lock, etc while standing in an open field and close enough to the Phantom to be able to smell it (almost). Naturally, noting that these errors were occurring AND I was getting nastygrams from the DJI 4 Go app to upgrade firmware, I went through the following mental checklist:

1) System (UAV and controller) are behaving erratically
2) Message (from vendor's app) advises applying firmware updates
3) Assumption (perhaps wrong in DJI's case as I've now learned) that recommended firmware updates have passed alpha/beta testing.
4) Applying firmware is the next advisable step.

Having dealt with multiple vendors over the years, I do read their errata before applying, but I don't take a lot of user-driven websites into my final estimation, UNLESS, the vendor later sends out a recall of said firmware. Neither do I usually push bleeding-edge GA'd updates either, but in this case, the system was not working correctly to begin with.

I will definitely review the firmware posts on this site in the future, as it appears that DJI's QC efforts are to be found wanting. But, also, I'd recommend that if you don't have anything constructive to offer in reply....simply don't reply. That whole "wailing and gnashing of teeth" routine you've got going on is better suited to the End Times than in a technical discussion.

Hi, All!

My repaired (replaced?) Phantom 4 Pro arrived in the post today and I was eager to get back in the air. Upon relinking it with DJI Go 4 app on my iPhone, I noted the alert that said that the aircraft needed a firmware update. That seemed to go well. Then, another alert for a firmware update to the remote controller, which....didn't. The update aborted about 10% of the way into the process and left me with a controller that seems to be "bricked" (see attached screenshot). Is there a way to recover without reaching out to DJI support?

Thanks!
Angie

What iPhone are you using? I have noticed that the app responds better on an iPad (mini 2 in my case). What iOS is your phone running?

@RoadGoddess, here are a few things to try:
  • Reset the remote controller like this and install the firmware update again
  • Downgrade the firmware like this and install the firmware update again

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl