Phantom 3 Standard Checklist

Finally got to fly my P3S today after what seemed like an eternity, waiting for Hurricane Matthew to pass by North Florida last Friday and Saturday. Still have some cleanup to do, but hey....I needed a break. It was a bit windy today, especially around 300'-400', but within my flight limits. And I was VERY eager to fly.

I've often thought that my pre-flight checks were tedious, until today. While checking my props for tightness, I found one loose. Far from snug or tight. I've checked these same props at least 20 times in the past, and they have been fine every time. But not so today. Preflight checks "tedious"?? Not any more. I'm sure fighting the wind today I would have spun off that prop...........resulting in the demise of a very good flying Phantom.

So, to all of you that 'think' or 'assume' everything is ok because it was fine last flight.....think again. I for one have changed my 'tedious' preflight checks to 'necessary' preflight checks. I don't consider them tedious any more. Blue Skies and Calm Winds to All.

Fly Safe !!

Last edited:
I'd add another step in the checklist called Calibrate Phone/Tablet Compass. If the compass calibration is off on your phone/tablet, the Attitude Indicator in the DJI Go App will not give you accurate readings or bearings. You'll want to download a compass app, perform the calibration and make sure the compass on the phone/tablet point to true magnetic North or close to it and make sure it adjusts appropriately as you turn away from true magnetic North. My Attitude Indicator was pretty worthless until I did this step.

It's more important to inspect your props before every flight.

That's the beauty of checklists. Everyone gets to make their own ;)

I've been model flying over 50 years and checklist has become a mind based auto matter. habit has formed a series of checks I do before committing to the air / water etc.
Having now joined the 'serious' Multi-Rotor scene, played with small camera jobs for a few years but nothing like the Phantom - I find that a checklist is to be honest a bit of an overstatement for these.

As I see it - its a look over for cracks and condition of props, give that slight tweak to props to tighten, check camera operates and READ the screen !!

Its certainly nothing like the sort of checks I do for my gasoline powered 3D Zlin / Extra's etc.

Nigel

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I really think you should read and watch tutorials and write your own checklist...THEN check what people have done here.
I'm still a Noob.. only 6 flights so far, but this checklist helps me from worrying about things other than flying. Print 2 sided - cut length wise.
Here's the file...I'll email you the excel file if you reply.

Attachments

• Drone Flight Checklist v2share.pdf
    832.4 KB · Views: 895
The one that turns off the drone in the air in case of emergency ? Why would you do that when landed?

Isnt throttle stick down simpler?

If you have the 3 seconds to spare. But if feds are driving up with their yaggi antennas pointing at you.......

After flight, is it recommended that you remove the props every time? I have a minor in UAS from a technical university, and they always made us remove the props post-flight. I could never figure out the reasoning behind it other than (maybe) safety?

I never do unless they are nicked, bent or damaged in some way. My case allows them to stay on also. I ALWAYS check them for tightness in my preflight checks....just in case. You lose a prop, the bird is coming down hard and fast.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

thanks from another noob. I dont even have my P3 yet but I'm trying to read/learn everything I can from people that know what's going on

david-hasselhoff-baywatch-thumbs-up-nerd-happy-1412016437p.gif

I respectfully disagree - not with your thoughts but with the reality of using CSC to shut down an aircraft. I just don't see a pilot recognizing "OMG I'm about to damage someone/something" and using CSC to shut the bird down in time to prevent that damage. When I had my fight with a tree the flight went from "weeee this is fun" to "Oh cra<wham>" in under a second.

Tree wasn't laughing after I got done with the axe and saw. Just drop it so drone is on top, not under it when it lands.

This may seem like a silly question and I'm fairly new but I'm wondering if I lock down just the left thumb stick to get my p3s to descend, will that cause it to shutoff completely or do you have to use both thumb sticks for that. Thanks.

I'm new also and appreciate the checklist TJ. I will forget it if it's not written down. I've only made 2 short flights with my P3S and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna enjoy the new hobby!!!!

thanks from another noob. I dont even have my P3 yet but I'm trying to read/learn everything I can from people that know what's going on

always knew there was something disgusting about heraldo. didn't know it was feeling up little girls. does explain his love of clintons though.

always knew there was something disgusting about heraldo. didn't know it was feeling up little girls. does explain his love of clintons though.

ummmmm..... what does that have to do with.... anything?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers