Phantom 3 Standard Checklist

It's not a good idea to do a CSC to shut down the motors. If not done cleanly, it can cause the Phantom to tip and the props to strike the ground.
Is there a correct sequence for powering on and powering off the battery, r/c and dji GO app. I seem to no save some photos shots after a flight?

Is there a correct sequence for powering on and powering off the battery, r/c and dji GO app. I seem to no save some photos shots after a flight?
I like to turn on the RC, Phantom, and then start DJI GO. Whatever you do, make sure the RC is always on when the Phantom is on.

Hello to all. Newbie to Phantom quads. Also thanks to all for the flight/postflight checklist ideas. For those with a wifi only tablet but want follow me -- perhaps include the procedure for GPS startup using the Dual XGPS module.

The one that turns off the drone in the air in case of emergency ? Why would you do that when landed?

Isnt throttle stick down simpler?
At the risk of sounding stupid... Are you sayin the motors can be switched off by simply
The one that turns off the drone in the air in case of emergency ? Why would you do that when landed?

Isnt throttle stick down simpler?
at the risk of sounding stupid... If one of the commands to turn the motors off is one of the sticks down, couldn't this happen in midair? Descending at full power or moving backwards at full power would mimic having the stick down for more than 3 seconds.
I'm confused... Or does this particular command have to be preset?

at the risk of sounding stupid... If one of the commands to turn the motors off is one of the sticks down, couldn't this happen in midair
Only a CSC will shut of your motors mid-air.

Only a CSC will shut of your motors mid-air.
Just to be fully sure, as I don't want to have the risk of shutting down the motors of my bird mid-air:

Under no circumstances can you shut down the motors mid-air by pulling the throttle all the way down?
I never use the throttle lock when descending because I'm afraid that it might drop my bird.
(and yes, I'm aware of the vortex ring, and avoid that anyway)

Under no circumstances can you shut down the motors mid-air by pulling the throttle all the way down?
Nobody has ever reported this as a cause of a crash. Your Phantom would have to stop moving in all directions for 3-5 seconds. That's pretty much impossible.

I created a solid checklist for pre-flight and post-flight for the P3S.
I see some online, but they are not exactly print-able, so mine is formatted and set up to be a tangible checklist to bring with you when you fly your Phantom.

If anybody has any other ideas on modifications I should make to it, I would be glad to consider them. Of course, feel free to print the checklist if you'd like!
Gracias !!!

Is it best to store battery out of the aircraft? I see nothing in the documentation either way.

Thank you for the check list. As a brand new owner of a P3 it will help emensely to fly safe and protect my investment. Thumbs up!

Thanks here too for the checklist! The CSC command for me is bad news and something I want to stay far away from as much as possible as I dont want to do it by mistake while in flight! Throttle down is the only way I will shut down my motors. Granted you will need to use a CSC to manually start up your motors. I wonder if anyone here has ever recovered from an in flight CSC and turned it back on before crashing and actually flown away? You would have to be flying really high if so i would imagine.
Well the checklist idea I think its very good to use. I use a LG Gpad 2 10.1 inch tablet. I also locked my screen orientation to horizontal and set my screen timeout to never just in case. Mine also has mobile data and I turn that off too as I dont want any apps trying to update while Im in flight. When doing video I always make sure to stop the video before turning off the Phantom so it will be retained on the SD card. I just picked up a 32 gb Sandisk Extreme with U3 on it for only $20 online @ Jet.com Tomorrow I will see if I have smoother video at 4K recording. I have the new P34K. Im new here and just want to say Hi and happy, safe flying to all :)

After 6 years in the US Navy on nuclear submarines, 35 years working in civilian nuclear power, being a licensed private pilot, and a expert in root cause analysis, to say I appreciate the positive impact the routine use of checklists has on human performance/safety would be, at least, a huge understatement. When things go wrong, it is almost always due to human error. And so, as a novice sUAV operator I too have of developed pre and post flight checklists. A copy is attached to this post.

It is clear to even my obsessively **** retentive mind that the pre/post flight checklists I developed may be massive overkill for casual backyard flights. However, I also recognize that the good habits reinforced by the routine use of checklists increases my margin of safety, and that additional margin could someday be the difference between a successful flight and something less. For me, this is an important consideration when I have $1000 or more in the air, and could be crucial to others on those occasions, should they ever arise, when failure is not an option.

Professional pilots the world over use checklists whenever they fly. That's good enough reason for me to do the same. It helps protect my investment, and who knows, some day it may help save somebody's life.

May your take off and safe landing tally always be equally divisible by 2!,

Attachments

• Drone Checklist.pdf
    389.5 KB · Views: 25,875
It's a known issue. I'm quite surprised that you don't know what I'm talking about.
I've managed to dig my props into the grass twice by doing a csc after landing. No more.... I just keep the altitude stick down 3 secs now to turn off.....

Reactions: Voxx and Rambo1
I created a solid checklist for pre-flight and post-flight for the P3S.
I see some online, but they are not exactly print-able, so mine is formatted and set up to be a tangible checklist to bring with you when you fly your Phantom.

If anybody has any other ideas on modifications I should make to it, I would be glad to consider them. Of course, feel free to print the checklist if you'd like!

Thank you for this Nicely done Checklist, kptw_pilot....I was thinking of making one myself, until I came across this one. I've got my drone, everything is charged and updates applied...and I'm still nervous to take my first flight. This weekend I'll go at least once. I can't wait until I get comfortable with it.

I have never had this happen and I CSC every time.

View attachment 38747

If you think about it for a second you will realize that a CSC on landing tells the Quad to fly hard backwards, too the left, rotate right, and quickly descend before you get the sticks fully into the corners of the RC; THAT's enough to make any quad flip before the CSC is executed. (Can be even worse depending on flight mode). On custom designed tri-copters and quads I've built I have put logic mixing in the command sequences for the kill logic to avoid these exact cases on landing.

Pulling straight down on the throttle stick to land and shut-off the motors is highly suggested; saving the CSC for start-up and emergency shutdown only.

Reactions: msinger
gsweig,
I didn't see an answer to your question, but the post-flight checklist above says to take the battery out, so I think that's the answer. (Which by the way, I've been storing it in the DJ3, and will now remove it).

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Have a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

If you think about it for a second you will realize that a CSC on landing tells the Quad to fly hard backwards, too the left, rotate right, and quickly descend before you get the sticks fully into the corners of the RC; THAT's enough to make any quad flip before the CSC is executed. (Can be even worse depending on flight mode). On custom designed tri-copters and quads I've built I have put logic mixing in the command sequences for the kill logic to avoid these exact cases on landing.

Pulling straight down on the throttle stick to land and shut-off the motors is highly suggested; saving the CSC for start-up and emergency shutdown only.

Thats how I landed my just out of the box P3S the first time, thankfully no damage except grass stains on the props and even more so very relieved that nobody was watching. I have the footage still just to remind me.

There is a YouTube video on landing with CSC and thats where I learned to use the straight down method. It seems that CSC does cause a lot of turnover. But if you read the Phantom manuals it does say to use the straight down stick method. Especially if you have Carbon Fiber Props. One turnover can be costly!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1