Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

I feel somewhat pissed off with dji today, i knew full well there was an update available but mostly concerning battery issues,
As its always stinking hot here i assumed this update would not be so critical and could be done later tonight,
I woke up early this morning with intentions of flying an area with a fantastic waterfall on the side of a forest,
Charged the batteries while having coffee and breakfast and intended to cache the map on the ipad before leaving,
At this point i noticed the internet was down ( i dont use mobile data on the phone or ipad) then thought..ok i can find wifi when there at a coffee shop or whatever,
With the backpack i jumped on the motorbike and headed out the city then took a route direction myanmar border, stopped at a shop and cached the map then continued on my way slicing through the curves through beautiful scenery content with life and the prospect of some amazing footage,
On arrival i decided a compass calibration was in order so set everything up but as i started the go app then enter camera a message balloon popped up saying updates were required and something about battery updates,
The go app just disappeared and closed! tried again 4 times with the same result, on the journey home my mind was occupied dreaming up a suitable form of very painful torture for the guy who just ruined my day should i ever meet him.

Wow, sorry to hear that. It would appear that this might be a mandatory update. If that's so, anyone who wants to avoid it will have to stay off of wifi when you're in the go app. I'm not sure this actually is a forced update but you're not the first person to report that happening.

Wow, sorry to hear that. It would appear that this might be a mandatory update. If that's so, anyone who wants to avoid it will have to stay off of wifi when you're in the go app. I'm not sure this actually is a forced update but you're not the first person to report that happening.
Can only imagine it is indeed forced, i guess he nobbled me when i briefly went online to cache the map,

After a few calming thoughts while laying on the sofa he may be safe for the moment, i mean in hindsight how was he to know my plans involved a six hour round trip and canceling a hot date with a girl named coco,

He,s lucky, one hour into the return journey i had visions of giving him a full power carbon prop testicle bashing from 100% down to the 30% battery warning with him screaming for a battery error.

So something made your app crash ... but you haven't explained anything beyond that.
Did you try to reload and what happened?
I tried restarting the ipad air 2 and restarting the go app, each time seconds after pressing enter cam the popup came very briefly saying updates required regarding battery issues in cold weather then the app just closed ...not sure what happens when the go app crashes...i mean it did,nt just freeze and refuse to go away requiring me to reboot,
This go app was installed maybe 2 weeks ago, rc fw is the latest so the only updates available i guess are the latest go app and phantom fw.
Until this latest firmware update in the last days i have kept up to date without issues, would have done the latest update also had i not been super busy without any free time until today.

Lots of users wrongly get the impression that they must update when the app is just telling them that a new update is available.
Since DJI have never forced users to update previously, it's quite unlikely that this update is mandatory.

By reload did you mean delete and reinstall the go app? if so no,
I was in a heavily forested area with no internet access close to the thai burmese border.

Lots of users wrongly get the impression that they must update when the app is just telling them that a new update is available.
Since DJI have never forced users to update previously, it's quite unlikely that this update is mandatory.
In some way it would be pleasing to know the error was mine or just some glitch on the ipad, would be sad if dji were indeed forcing updates in this way,

Guess my next thing to do later tonight is delete then reinstall the latest go app then proceed with the phantom firmware update and imu cal,
Along with changing android devices and then to ios , rc, ac updates i have to admit i spent much more time doing all this than anticipated.

Last edited:
Can only imagine it is indeed forced, i guess he nobbled me when i briefly went online to cache the map,

After a few calming thoughts while laying on the sofa he may be safe for the moment, i mean in hindsight how was he to know my plans involved a six hour round trip and canceling a hot date with a girl named coco,

He,s lucky, one hour into the return journey i had visions of giving him a full power carbon prop testicle bashing from 100% down to the 30% battery warning with him screaming for a battery error.
Zen and the art of updating..

I flew yesterday after 5 days off. Upon entering the camera mode a pop up window told me about the update. I checked off a box like don't remind me pop up. Continued with normal pre flight and took off.

I flew yesterday after 5 days off. Upon entering the camera mode a pop up window told me about the update. I checked off a box like don't remind me pop up. Continued with normal pre flight and took off.
I attempted that also but the popup box was so quick to disapear it never gave the oppertunity to check the box or read it fully.

Go app deleted and latest version installed, ac firmware updated and the batteries, cancelled coco again giving her some bull about work but i could tell by her tone she was,nt buying it, if she ever gets wind i,m rejecting her invitations in favor of a quad copter the phantom and i will have to go into hiding.

I read in the release notes that this update was to fix a problem with the batteries flying in cold weather. The temperature here has not hit 20 deg. F in a while and isn't likely to for a while. So my question is...what is too cold for these birds and just what problem was fixed? I've grounded my fleet for now until I figure out what's safe. Anyone?
It seems that battery performance in cold weather was a main focus (at least ostensibly) of this FU, so is there really no one that can shed any light on recommended lower limits for safe function? Any beta testers in the Himalayas or Iceland? I really want to fly but don't want to risk my P3P's. Thanks.

It seems that battery performance in cold weather was a main focus (at least ostensibly) of this FU, so is there really no one that can shed any light on recommended lower limits for safe function? Any beta testers in the Himalayas or Iceland? I really want to fly but don't want to risk my P3P's. Thanks.
Look at the DJI video about cold weather flying. Assuming the current 1.6 fix prevents the (presumably rare) problem of the Phantom overloading a cold battery and freezing everything, all you have to do is be more cognizant of your fingers and the battery state. Flew in -4C weather yesterday. The battery lasted longer than my fingers.

When trying to update to this firmware, the LED on the front of my P3P went from Green/Red to solid red with a solid annoying tone. Logs say the update failed and to try again. I tried 4 or 5 times plus tried to roll back to 1.5 then 1.4. No good. My P3P is a $1300 paper weight.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to think the battery optimization is only about cold weather. There were too many freaky reports about sudden critical low battery when all should have been fine, in warm temperatures. I skirted the issue but I didn't feel like playing the odds with my bird. I play that game enough under normal circumstances!

Go app deleted and latest version installed, ac firmware updated and the batteries, cancelled coco again giving her some bull about work but i could tell by her tone she was,nt buying it, if she ever gets wind i,m rejecting her invitations in favor of a quad copter the phantom and i will have to go into hiding.
Finally someone with an interesting life. I feel like I've stumbled across a soap opera. Now i want photos of coco, of the Thai/Burma jungle, the roads etc. Where's the popcorn?

Reactions: John Locke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94