Phantom 3 dead gimbal after long storage

bbq

Reaction score
I read the other threads about this issue and wasn't sure if I should hi-jack one of them or start another. I have a slightly different problem.
This is my original unit that has never crashed, etc.
I had not used the unit for maybe more than 10 months.
Got it out of storage and the gimbal is completely dead.
I sent to DroneNerds, and they seem to think it needs a new gimbal, etc. I had them return it.
I wonder if you guys have any thoughts, having to do with lack of use?
No light on the gimbal.
Thanks

What is included in a new gimbal? Are they talkin new motors, cables, boards, everything? Sounds excessive when it could be a disconnected ribbon. Imo. But, KachemakDiver is certainly more knowledgeable that I am on P3s. A member here, @Droneted (Ted4797) in FL does camera/gimble repairs and even has repair info on YouTube. He has repaired mine quickly and will work with you if contacted. Doesnt need the whole drone, just the bottom assembly. Saves $. PM him directly from here.
Good luck

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I had the same issue when my boss gave me his P3S.No gimbal action,nothing.After much work and investigation
From all the issues I could find on these threads my was a
Bad ribbon cable connection.It seems to have gotten Stogie from setting around.My remedy personally was to leave clasps on cable closed and pull them out with a bit of a wiggle,open clasp,re-insert and do it again a couple of times.The fourth time I powered on the drone and wiggled the cable .Everything powered up and I could see a little spark at the plug,another little wiggle on plug and it's been fine going on 7 months.Apparently he just tossed in a corner for 3 or so years on its side when he couldn't figure out how to use it.It put strain on gimbal mounts and allowed everyday crap to get into the plugs.This is not DJI certified,just my own personal experience.Hope it helps.

I thought it would be good to update this thread...
At the advise of Capt KO, I contacted droneted, who informed me that he no longer works on P3's, but he referred me to Jiminyfixit.
I sent the gimbal/camera to him, and he repaired with a one day turn around, with excellent communication through the total process.
The main board was replaced.
After thinking about my problem ( long storage time ) I believe the problem was caused by lightning! During the "storage" time period, we had a very bad thunderstorm. A lightning flash nearby was so bad, I could smell ozone for quite awhile! I suffered several thousand dollars of loss, including items that had no external connections.

Reactions: Oso
I thought it would be good to update this thread...
At the advise of Capt KO, I contacted droneted, who informed me that he no longer works on P3's, but he referred me to Jiminyfixit.
I sent the gimbal/camera to him, and he repaired with a one day turn around, with excellent communication through the total process.
The main board was replaced.
After thinking about my problem ( long storage time ) I believe the problem was caused by lightning! During the "storage" time period, we had a very bad thunderstorm. A lightning flash nearby was so bad, I could smell ozone for quite awhile! I suffered several thousand dollars of loss, including items that had no external connections.
Glad you got it going, and also that you followed up. It’s always so nice when people follow up. It’s such a great help to future readers.

FYI that we have seen reported quite often that P3s themselves, not just batteries, can develop issues after long periods of being idle. So often in fact, that any post saying, “I haven’t used it for a long time...” is very often followed with “and now it doesn’t work.”

Just based on how often we hear about it, I’d bet the same happened to you and it was not related to lightning.

Glad you got it going, and also that you followed up. It’s always so nice when people follow up. It’s such a great help to future readers.

FYI that we have seen reported quite often that P3s themselves, not just batteries, can develop issues after long periods of being idle. So often in fact, that any post saying, “I haven’t used it for a long time...” is very often followed with “and now it doesn’t work.”

Just based on how often we hear about it, I’d bet the same happened to you and it was not related to lightning.
Maybe that's what happened to some of the others also!!

I volunteer at a local non-profit resource center as their IT guy. Had a new router and modem still in the box, on my desk during said storm. When I opened the package to do the installation, I smelt the carbon, and when opening the units, pieces of components fell out. Completely "fried".

Irrigation wiring, and Christmas underground wiring, all melted together.

Electric discharge can help in de-programming of NAND flash memories, but Phantoms do that even without such helpers.

Anyway, to diagnose electronics board you always start in the same way - get multi-meter, check power rails on the board. We're talking Gimbal Top Board of course. Power rails have test points with voltages written on them, ie 3V3 means 3.3V; they should match the multimieter. While checking, the board needs to be powered - it gets power from the ribbon cable which goes up. You can either have it connected, or supply 12V from your own source.

If all rails are up, then you likely have Ambarella chip FW deprogrammed.

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31