P3S lift transport and delivery 1 mile

I started off with the p3s, got bored with taking pictures & videos, flying in circles like an idiot drone so now I'm venturing out. Testing the limitations of my rig. Eventually it'll crack & I'll upgrade, but until then i keep pushing.
Then why ask and just do it?

Wow... Can't believe no one is supporting this guy?

If you don't mind risking the flight and it's over an empty field I say "go for it" [emoji6]

Just don't remove the camera... Would make excellent footage. And try to get a few people along the way on the ground so they can film it as it flies over. This sounds like the video of the year if you go ahead and do it [emoji3][emoji3]

Reactions: Pharm and BigAl07
Please explain to me how the "specifications" of any "party" matters to this conversation? Come on gang we are better than this . . . .

Let's get back on track with this thread or it's going to get closed.

Wow... Can't believe no one is supporting this guy?

If you don't mind risking the flight and it's over an empty field I say "go for it" [emoji6]

Just don't remove the camera... Would make excellent footage. And try to get a few people along the way on the ground so they can film it as it flies over. This sounds like the video of the year if you go ahead and do it [emoji3][emoji3]

Well said @Neon Euc .

Reactions: Neon Euc
I’m trying to understand. It’s kike using a Toyota to carry a truckload if items. Get a stronger strong if you want payload. Or just crash it already and get it over with. I can see wanting to carry a load. But liquid is a total different ballgame. Not just weight. It will move around during flight causing s unstable flight. Bam. Right to the ground. Aim for nearest tree and get it over with.

I can’t wait to hear of a successful mission or a failed one. I have a P4P+ and it was dang expensive. So i would never be brave enough to risk this kind of mission and I have been wanting to do carry missions. There is even a remote drop system you can mount for releasing payloads that i have been wanting to try.

I’m trying to understand. It’s kike using a Toyota to carry a truckload if items. Get a stronger strong if you want payload. Or just crash it already and get it over with. I can see wanting to carry a load. But liquid is a total different ballgame. Not just weight. It will move around during flight causing s unstable flight. Bam. Right to the ground. Aim for nearest tree and get it over with.
Being a liquid has no bearing other than weight. Since the liquid in the can is well-confined and has so little air space, any potential sloshing around, shifting weight, etc., is negligible to the point of being totally inconsequential. A soda can filled with sand of the same weight would behave the same as a can filled with liquid.

My concerns would be:
1. Safety, as in not flying over people, houses, or vehicles. The OP has already stated these are not factors so that’s taken care of.

2. Stress on the AC. Not sure how to determine limits on that.

3. Battery life. Will the AC have enough battery with the extra load to make the delivery and back or even to make the delivery?

4. How to deliver. Is the AC going to drop the can, land (how’s it going to land with a can underneath it?), hover while the recipient retrieves the can, etc.? How long should you have it hover?

5. While Litchi is wonderful, the barometric altimeter of the AC can be unreliable when precision altitudes are necessary (which would be the case for hovering while the can is retrieved). The AC might say it’s hovering at 4 feet when it’s actually on its side chewing up a soda can or it may be at 12 feet while your friend is desperately jumping up trying to reach it or wasting valuable time trying to steady his stepladder on uneven ground before he climbs up to retrieve his soda, reaching the top just as the AC takes off heading home, payload intact and undelivered (which takes us immediately back to points #2 and #3).

I’m not trying to dissuade the OP, just offering up aspects of the proposed flight that might or might not have been considered. In addition to planning all aspects, all contingencies but also be explored. I would also make several test flights, empty and with smaller, lighter payloads. I would also not forget that one day the altimeter may be spot on but on flight day it could be way off.

Just my thoughts.

Did you add the weight for the can holder and the gadget to release the can.
Negative. That was "product weight" only no container or release mech.

Phantom's are meant for cargo. Any extra weight greatly compromises flight time and kill maneuverability. As for a 1 mile out of sight flight........

Last edited by a moderator:
Your biggest concern should be how to get spotters (with communications devices) along the way so that you actual have effective VLOS from start to destination. My guess is that after going over 300', you have no idea as to any radial clearance to any objects along your path.

I want to run the following mission & am looking for any feedback or ideas to help make it successful: using a Phantom 3 Standard I'm trying to lift 2 sodas (24oz) to approx 200 ft, run a 1 mile out-of-line-of sight mission (using the Litchi) that delivers the sodas. I'm dropping them off using the Israeli Sky Hook then returning to the initial lz. My main concern is will my P3S carry the load that distance? Anyone have experience with this?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. If you consider it to be a thought exercise, then some simple math would tell you that this isn't going to end well for the soda or the AC.

i2gc6.jpg

If a 12 oz can of soda weighs a bit more than 350g, your 24 oz cans together are going to be 700g. If you are using the Drone Sky Hook, that weighs 49g, so figure at least 750g or so (not counting the container holding the soda). The P3S with battery weighs 1216g, so you are increasing the weight of the drone by a bit more than 60% and making it seriously off balance (Sky Hook mounts on the side). To fly that payload for a mile is going to be putting extra stress on the motors. It's one thing to use a Sky Hook to launch a glider or drop a fishing line, it's quite another to run an entire Litch mission that way.

To drop the payload from a P3S, you are going to have to rotate the AC a few times counter-clockwise. That's the only way you are going to trigger the drop mechanism. Dropping it with a parachute is going to need at least a parachute that is at least 30" around. This assumes that you can find the sweet spot that the package was dropped from a higher enough altitude for the chute to open up and slow the descent enough to keep the cans from being too shaken up to open and not hitting anyone. At 400ft, you have about 4.9 seconds before a released object hits the ground. I can see going through a lot of soda getting that one setup right. Too low and "splat". Too high and you'll have no control over where the chute will carry the payload. Which way is the wind blowing at the LZ? That's right, you wont know when you are putting in the Litchi mission.

Or you will set the AC to be low enough to the ground where it can set the soda down. The altitude control is good, but you have no control over wind or curious bystanders. A spinning AC, low to the ground, near people, and beyond VLOS is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. If you are in the US, you can start with it being illegal because of the lack of VLOS.

If you want to do this because of it looking cool, then do it within VLOS. And practice without anyone near the LZ. It will look just as cool from 100 ft away and you reduce the wear and tear on the motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl