P3S lift transport and delivery 1 mile

Reaction score
I want to run the following mission & am looking for any feedback or ideas to help make it successful: using a Phantom 3 Standard I'm trying to lift 2 sodas (24oz) to approx 200 ft, run a 1 mile out-of-line-of sight mission (using the Litchi) that delivers the sodas. I'm dropping them off using the Israeli Sky Hook then returning to the initial lz. My main concern is will my P3S carry the load that distance? Anyone have experience with this?

2 sodas (24oz)
Is this soda weight, or volume? The Phantom weighs approximately 43 ounces. If this is the soda weight, forget it. You will never make it even half that far IMO, and it will struggle immensely.

The Phantom series doesn't have enough "reserve lifting capacity" to do things like this "very well". It's a Camera Drone and the system is built with little reserve capacity for those reasons.

Sounds to me you're talking about listing a pair of 12 FlOz soda bottles. That's a long way to carry a fairly heavy payload (in proportion to the aircraft itself). While it "might" be able to carry it it also might cause early (and catastrophic) failure of critical components.

I want to run the following mission & am looking for any feedback or ideas to help make it successful: using a Phantom 3 Standard I'm trying to lift 2 sodas (24oz) to approx 200 ft, run a 1 mile out-of-line-of sight mission (using the Litchi) that delivers the sodas. I'm dropping them off using the Israeli Sky Hook then returning to the initial lz. My main concern is will my P3S carry the load that distance? Anyone have experience with this?

Your drone will not carry even a single full 20oz bottle, let alone two cans.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevla
Just_nick do u know that from experience? I've carried 1 12oz can successfully. Trying to vamp it up to 2 but don't want to burn anything out. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: kevla
Is this soda weight, or volume? The Phantom weighs approximately 43 ounces. If this is the soda weight, forget it. You will never make it even half that far IMO, and it will struggle immensely.
Yes, soda weight. 2 Actual cans of soda. Have u personally lifted & ran a mission with anything similar before?

Just_nick do u know that from experience? I've carried 1 12oz can successfully. Trying to vamp it up to 2 but don't want to burn anything out. Thanks for the feedback.

You can pick up about 2.5lbs of weight, but the problem comes from the weight swinging around.

Reactions: Fat julio
The Phantom series doesn't have enough "reserve lifting capacity" to do things like this "very well". It's a Camera Drone and the system is built with little reserve capacity for those reasons.

Sounds to me you're talking about listing a pair of 12 FlOz soda bottles. That's a long way to carry a fairly heavy payload (in proportion to the aircraft itself). While it "might" be able to carry it it also might cause early (and catastrophic) failure of critical components.
Yes, 2 12flOz cans of soda. I'm a positive goal oriented individual that is slightly obsessive once I've set my mind on something. Toward that end I've been considering options to make it possible. Litchi is my go-to for these type of missions & I'm not trying to video or use the camera during, so i should be able to remove the camera & gimbal to save weight... Using only the Litchi for guidance to deliver & return. I've never tried removing the camera/gimbal. From ur knowledge would the p3s still operate ideally under those circumstances? (Toward my mission goals?)

Reactions: mickrose
You can pick up about 2.5lbs of weight, but the problem comes from the weight swinging around.
I'm thinking like a helicopter: when u launch lean into a forward attitude, lock the speed at a set rate & it'll position the load about 50-60° to ur rear through the entire trip. Keep it steady to keep it balanced.

16floz of water weighs 1.04lbs so 20floz weighs roughly 1.33lbs

16floz of water weighs 1.04lbs so 20floz weighs roughly 1.33lbs
If i removed the camera and gimbal temporarily how much weight would i shed? I can't find that info ANYWHERE!! And even more pointedly would the p3s still operate ideally without it? I would use my Litchi for guidance to perform the mission.

I've never tried removing the camera/gimbal. From ur knowledge would the p3s still operate ideally under those circumstances? (Toward my mission goals?)
Not sure if the weight will offset, but I would highly doubt it. The camera and gimbal are not that heavy so you would not gain much in reference to weight saving. I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport and defeat your goal's, but it sounds to me like you have more money than you have common sense. A waste of time and effort IMO. But that is just me. It's not like you can just "plug and play" with the gimbal. You are taking a risk. That is your decision.

Not sure if the weight will offset, but I would highly doubt it. The camera and gimbal are not that heavy so you would not gain much in reference to weight saving. I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport and defeat your goal's, but it sounds to me like you have more money than you have common sense. A waste of time and effort IMO. But that is just me. It's not like you can just "plug and play" with the gimbal. You are taking a risk. That is your decision.
More $ than common sense? Lmao yea yea something like that. I'd like to accomplish what i set for myself. If i break it beyond repair I'll run that one over with a lawn mower, get a better model & don't mess with the next gimbal. Can u find the camera weight anyplace? I can't locate it.

I use mine for fishing and 2lbs is pushing it. I'm normally flying out 300ish meters. But I try to load everything (hook, bait lead) for around 1lb. Who knows how much more load its carrying with the line out there.

Maybe 200ft its possible but it will be unstable.

I'll start by saying the Phantom was not designed nor tested by DJI to do what you're asking. However, based on some actual brief testing done (search YouTube), 2.5 lbs was determined to be the max payload a P3 can lift. You'll notice I said "lift", not transport. Based on my calculations, 24 Oz of pop weighs roughly 1.6 lbs, well under the max lift weight BUT, strapping two bottles of pop on a Phantom and transporting them over a mile is probably an accident waiting to happen, and likely to do serious harm to the motors, and possibly the ESC. Just my two cents.

I'll start by saying the Phantom was not designed nor tested by DJI to do what you're asking. However, based on some actual brief testing done (search YouTube), 2.5 lbs was determined to be the max payload a P3 can lift. You'll notice I said "lift", not transport. Based on my calculations, 24 Oz of pop weighs roughly 1.6 lbs, well under the max lift weight BUT, strapping two bottles of pop on a Phantom and transporting them over a mile is probably an accident waiting to happen, and likely to do serious harm to the motors, and possibly the ESC. Just my two cents.

On the plus side, the P3S is so cheap that burning one up isn't a big deal. I've seen a couple for $200, which is a price point where I wouldn't mind messing around with one like this.

On the plus side, the P3S is so cheap that burning one up isn't a big deal. I've seen a couple for $200, which is a price point where I wouldn't mind

Yeah, they are relatively cheap. If someone has that kind of disposable income to throw around on an experiment like this, pick me up a spare too. Thanks.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Why not just buy a drone meant for carrying then if money is not an issue?
I started off with the p3s, got bored with taking pictures & videos, flying in circles like an idiot drone so now I'm venturing out. Testing the limitations of my rig. Eventually it'll crack & I'll upgrade, but until then i keep pushing.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31