P3S communication problem after update

Reaction score
I purchased a Phantom 3 Standard and the guy I bought it from updated the firmware to the latest update and now the drone only goes a couple of hundred feet away and loses communication. Then return to home. Is there a patch for this? I have seen on the forum that some suggestions are a rollback to older firmware. I tried this and out of the five firmware versions I could only go back three. The fourth said no firmware available and then the unit wouldn't do anything due to firmware and sensor problems. What can be done?

Any help would be awesome.

You could try rolling back to older firmware versions using the methods linked here.

Very strange, I have the latest update on my standard and it is working like a charm. I do use a parabolic antenna on it.

same thing i had, till i rolled back to these, now its rock solid.

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 380
I did the rollback as suggested but now have abnormal coming up for the transmitter and the compass. I tried to recalibrate the compass and get a failure notification. I'm getting notification of magnet interference.

I really appreciate any information on how to correct this. I kinda feel like I may have made a mistake in purchasing this drone.

not at all, i felt this way too, when you do a firmware rollback you have to calibrate IMU/Gimbal and then compass. magnetic interference is normal if theres metal around when calibrating, go in your backyard and do it.

@o Reaper o, you can delete your duplicate post. ;)

You don't have to do a IMU and compass calibration after firmware.

When you go into the IMU calibration what are the compass values.

I will do a IMU calibration after firmware, but I'm not in any hurry, mostly after a big bump.

Post #3 has a nice .pdf.
IMU Calibration

Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Rod

if you fail to compass calibrate move to another location and do it again sometimes moving only 1Foot will be enough. if your calibrating indoors go outside there are a ton of things in the come to mess with your compass go to a grassy spot and do it the chances of something metal there are less likely keep your cell phone away from the drone keep the controller back a few feet and do the calibration

Thanks Rod, I was having internet issues. As for my location. I'm at Bear Mountain Flyers site in Arvin California. It's 80 acres of flat except for our runway, covered pit and a 40 foot trailer. I am way away from everything when I tried. I fly my other two brand (X) drones there with no problem.

Ok, tried in a different spot and same thing. Abnormal for the controller, barometer and compass. Tried to re calibrate the compass to no avail. Even tried different several different locations. No luck. I finally went and let it update all the way back to the most current release. All the abnormal statuses went away except for the compass. It says " calibrate". Still can't get it to calibrate and still get the magnetic interference indication. I'm totally at a loss in this one. I fly my Solo and Q500 everywhere with none of this hassle. I've contacted DJI tech support and they offered suggestions but none have worked. Still waiting for them to come up with a fix. I purchased this over two months ago and haven't had one successful flight. I did record the last video and will post it from my computer when I can.

if its still under warrant Id send it back to them Brother sounds like everything that can be done on your end, has been done

Reactions: Gryphon
@o Reaper o
From post #9
"When you go into the IMU calibration what are the compass values."

Rod

Sorry guys. I've been busy other things. Rod, all the values I seen were mostly 0.00. I didn't look that close though. Can I go back in to that screen?

that sounds like your compass is disconnected inside the drone you can take the top off and see if you need some video help I can grab some links for you so you can get the top section off to see if the compass cable disconnected

Ill grab some videos and post here for you
this is for taking the top off

Once you get the top off you will look at the mother board and look for a white connector with 4 wires it will say compass right on the board where the connector is here is a pic of the area with a broken connector this has been a problem with these drones for some reason
20161210_205710_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl