IMU Calibration

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have two questions.

First: How do you calibrate the IMU on the P3. On my old P2 it was easy, in the software. But I can't find it in the pilot app

Second: Seen a lot of folks recording their voice when posting their videos. Altough I never spoke during a flight, is there a way to speak and the video is recorded or you have to dubded it with a program

Thanks

Attached is an information sheet that I put together on IMU Calibration - hope it helps a bit. Not really much in the P3 manual yet, but, it is important.

Sent you an email. In my experience the colder the better for craft IMU.

This will give a wider range of temp calibration. You want to start calibration as fast as possible once the craft is powered on.

Thanks again for your outstanding work.

Reactions: mmee1992
Great Job ... Thanks

Is the P2 a typo?

Operating Note: After a successful IMU calibration, while the P2 is still sitting on the level

surface, is a perfect time to proceed and do a Gimbal Auto Calibration.

Thanks Recce2, for your time and efforts we all appreciate it

This will give a wider range of temp calibration. You want to start calibration as fast as possible once the craft is powered on.

Is it a bad idea to put the unit in the fridge for a couple minutes prior to doing the calibration? My P2 always required it because at room temp it said it was to hot to calibrate.

Everyone speaks of IMU calibration away from metal objects and some have mentioned that rebar in concrete could be an issue. Unfortunately, almost all of my truly level surfaces are on a concrete foundation (likely with rebar somewhere inside). Are metal objects like this a problem for IMU calibration? I understand that they are a big problem for compass calibration, but it's not inherently obvious why they could be a problem for the IMU calibration procedure.

On a related issue, after a good initial IMU calibration (although on a concrete foundation floor), I have a level horizon most of the time, but on occasion it has become angled (like many of you have reported). This was in a moderate wind with gusts about 8-10 knots. I'm thinking that some of this issue has to do with the wind effect on the camera directly and the gimbal motors being unable to overcome it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris

Everyone speaks of IMU calibration away from metal objects and some have mentioned that rebar in concrete could be an issue. Unfortunately, almost all of my truly level surfaces are on a concrete foundation (likely with rebar somewhere inside). Are metal objects like this a problem for IMU calibration? I understand that they are a big problem for compass calibration, but it's not inherently obvious why they could be a problem for the IMU calibration procedure.

On a related issue, after a good initial IMU calibration (although on a concrete foundation floor), I have a level horizon most of the time, but on occasion it has become angled (like many of you have reported). This was in a moderate wind with gusts about 8-10 knots. I'm thinking that some of this issue has to do with the wind effect on the camera directly and the gimbal motors being unable to overcome it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris

This is when doing compass calibration, not IMU. IMU requires a flat surface and no movement during the process.

Thanks! That's what I thought but I think there is some misinformation out in some threads on this issue.

Chris

Yep and it mostly comes from facebook

Attached is an information sheet that I put together on IMU Calibration - hope it helps a bit. Not really much in the P3 manual yet, but, it is important.
Thanks!

This needs to go in a sticky.

Well done. This is thoughtful and clear.

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik