Reaction score
I've recently had to repair a few elements of my gimbal due to a crash.

All seemed okay yesterday, gimbal was stable and camera was working all as should be.

However, today I went for a flight and got no camera feed, just a black screen with a dji logo in the center.

No matter how many times I restarted the tablet/remote/drone the issue still persists.

I've wiggled about the ribbon cable and opened the back of the camera, ensuring the ribbon was connected okay. I also checked the grey cable(s) which come out the top of the whole gimbal, connecting to the drone. I also tried a new cable which goes between remote and controller.

Still, no feed. I doubt it's a software issue as it was working fine yesterday. What could it be, ribbon cable is new and doesn't appear damaged but you never know.

Any help? Thanks

I've recently had to repair a few elements of my gimbal due to a crash.

All seemed okay yesterday, gimbal was stable and camera was working all as should be.

However, today I went for a flight and got no camera feed, just a black screen with a dji logo in the center.

No matter how many times I restarted the tablet/remote/drone the issue still persists.

I've wiggled about the ribbon cable and opened the back of the camera, ensuring the ribbon was connected okay. I also checked the grey cable(s) which come out the top of the whole gimbal, connecting to the drone. I also tried a new cable which goes between remote and controller.

Still, no feed. I doubt it's a software issue as it was working fine yesterday. What could it be, ribbon cable is new and doesn't appear damaged but you never know.

Any help? Thanks
Try relinking might help establish good conection again,,sometimes it work sometime it don't but good luck,,you could even unplug that bunch of grey gimble wire and insert plug again just incase it not quite touching all pins,,,,,just a other thought,,,dji logo,,,have you logged in,,could try sign out properly on home screen in app where says ME....then sign back in

Last edited by a moderator:
got no camera feed, just a black screen with a dji logo in the center.

Firtsh thing - check whether you have an issue with Ambarella/sensor or with DaVinci. In other words - make a photo, record a movie - and check these.

I doubt it's a software issue as it was working fine yesterday.

One of the causes of software (NAND) issue is not turning the drone on for a long time; but that's not the only cause. The fact that it was on doesn't guarantee anything.

I think it's time for a story:

Long time ago, storage devices were simple. Either EEPROM (the thing that evolved in todays flash sticks and NAND memory) or magnetic/laser disks, all had a simple interface: data bus and address bus. In other words, some of the pins sticking out of a device were used to send a number representing - where to write (address), and the rest - was the actual value to be written (data). If you wrote to address "0" on a floppy disk, the data was always written in place closest to the central "hole" in the floppy or CD. Every address had its physical place.

And today - all storage devices still use the same principle - address and data are needed to write. No change, besides the fact that values are sent in series by much less wires. So where am I going with this? Well, today all the chips are more "intelligent". If you tell such a chip to write to address "0" - it will not just blindly write to the one place, it will try a smarter way. It always counts amount of writes to each sector, and at some point will "think" -

The physical sector 0 was already written hundreds of times. And we have sectors which were much less used. If we use that one sector over and over, it will get damaged. Let's replace sector "0" with one of the rarely used ones, this way the whole device have a chance of lasting longer.

- and it will do that. It will remember that what the outside devices consider sector 0 is really sector .. let's say 32767. Just another, random sector which wasn't used much until now.

So, as a result, the device shuffles sectors and re-writes various data to other places all the time. And if some external device asks for address "0" - it will pretend that it reads sector 0, even though it now returns value from sector 32767. It treats the input address as virtual value, which it maps to a different, physical address.

The device will re-map and re-write sectors not only when they're heavily used, but also when they weren't written to for a long time - because the values are stored properly only for limited time. It is also monitoring which sectors seem to lose the data faster.

The moral of the story is:
- If you left a device without power for months, data written on the NAND may get damaged.
- But if you powered the device recently, it still has a chance of getting damaged - because if will shuffle sectors, and sometimes it may grade a sector incorrectly and write to it even though it's bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj