New Guy in the Neighborhood

Reaction score
New to the group. I'm in GA
I'm in market for actual first purchase. I hope not silly question but do I buy best I can or..... a lesser model first. Do I buy a bundle like from internet or through DJI or whoever. I am really wanting to get into this Hobby/Addiction as I've seen posted.... I can use for my work for Inspections and would like to evolve into other things..
Any info is appreciated.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Please tell us a little more about the type of work you plan to do with your Phantom. That'll help us recommend a model that'll fit you best.

Reactions: mg_kmac
Welcome!

Opinions... no shortage of them!

Mine: I chose the Phantom series,
and from there the entry level 3 Standard. I wanted something proven and reliable, as well as capable and popular enough that there would be adequate support (such as this forum). The P3S fits all of that criteria.

At the same time, as a first purchase, I wanted to be sure I'd appreciate the sport before I invested in what is a significant amount more than the P3S... especially while learning, while the risk of crash is higher, and any loss would be less painful.

It's video at 2.7K exceeds the clarity of the years of 1080p that we considered cutting edge. And the evolution of these machines is exponential; buying the "best you can" now won't be the "best" for very long...

And when it's time to upgrade, I'll be a more experienced pilot, and be able to exploit more of the highly sophisticated capabilities of the next generation.

Hope that helps.

I'm an Electrical Contractor.
I have to do inspections on lighting and work with some companies that manage commercial property. I do visual inspections on some rooftop equipment and overhead services for physical damage in conjunction with local CO/OP.
I am wanting to evolve into doing more for marketing of properties and with Management Companies and honestly whatever else I can come up with...

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

The Phantom 3 Standard would most likely be good enough for inspection photos/videos (camera-wise). If you're looking for the best available camera, then you should take a look at the Phantom 4 Pro. I personally think that would be overkill for what you need though (unless you have a large budget and want the best).

The biggest downfall of the Phantom 3 Standard is that it's sometimes affected by nearby Wi-Fi interference. You might encounter that when flying in highly populated areas. For that reason, I'd recommend getting at least the Phantom 3 Advanced.

If you're looking to save some money, you could buy a refurbished Phantom from DJI. Many people in this forum have had great experiences with refurbished Phantoms. Most people comment that they appear to be brand new.

Thank You for the input and look forward to any other.
I am notorious for wanting to buy up from the start.... but am a little leary due to possible crashing...

Thank You for the input and look forward to any other.
I am notorious for wanting to buy up from the start.... but am a little leary due to possible crashing...
Hey good to b cautious,,i sometimes most times fly hard and fast and put all phatoms through there paces ,,still amazed ,,no crashs to this day but its been close,,,probly just crash now said that,,,happy flying:eek:

I started out with a PS3 after years of flying and crashing anything with wings and rotors, and found as msinger has noted the constant wifi and range issues pushed me to my current P4. I have never had a problem with her and absolutely love flying it. I may move up the P4Pro if ever refurbished units come onto the market at a realistic price over here, but for now, if you have the beans, look past the PS3 and be rewarded with a stable and supported platform.

If you aren't flying for hobby/recreation, then you will need to certify for your part 107 license.

First thing I would do if you haven't flown drones before is go buy 2 or 3 nano drones to practice in your living room before crashing a bigger investment. I went through 2 or 3 of these before getting my P4.
eBay - Nano Drone

The nano birds are nothing to compare with the phantom. A large field a couple batteries and practice what you are going to fly. Every time I fly the braver(confidence) grows

They're the exact same as far as understanding the mechanics of the controls and getting used to its orientation. I can't recommend it enough. I'm sure we've all seen the videos of people crashing within seconds of their first take off cuz they didn't know which way it was facing. Plus its great practice flying around the living room during commercial breaks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic