My one P3 wish

Reaction score
My one P3 wish, other than being able to operate on FCC mode, is that this new shell has had the propensity to develop stress cracks around the motors in the P2 addressed. This has happened in two of my phantoms without a single crash. Personally I find these stress cracks annoying and ridiculous to say the least. Besides, with ever stronger motors, maybe a mil more on that shell would fix a lot of structural integrity issues. The P3 is a new shell. For those that think its just the arms, have a look at the lower center part when looking head on. The shape is different so it's a brand new mold. So I hope we all finally have the luxury of no longer worrying about cracks. People don't mention this issue much in theses forums but believe me, it happens often. It's unacceptable on non crashed phantoms. People complain about broken gimbals but for that they key is not to crash. Cracks can be stopped by not flying. Balancing the motors? Been there, done that, stress cracks still come.

I hope all so that it is a thicker shell, there is a video on youtube tho called phantom 3 at NAB part 4 where a guy from dji says it is exactly the same shell, at least i think its that video. On the other hand tho people from dji have been saying a lot of mixed things, he all so states they have not started production yet, but a few guys on here know they have. So i would take what the dji guy says with a pinch of salt as people are pointing out he saying untrue things in interveiws at shows.

I hope all so that it is a thicker shell, there is a video on youtube tho called phantom 3 at NAB part 4 where a guy from dji says it is exactly the same shell, at least i think its that video. On the other hand tho people from dji have been saying a lot of mixed things, he all so states they have not started production yet, but a few guys on here know they have. So i would take what the dji guy says with a pinch of salt as people are pointing out he saying untrue things in interveiws at shows.

Plenty of that going on here as well.

So i would take what the dji guy says with a pinch of salt as people are pointing out he saying untrue things in interveiws at shows.
That was Randy J Braun,, he's not very good at all for details and doesn't seem to know much about the P3. There's a video of him being asked if the Inspire Tx will work with the P3. His answer was no. In the video you can see he was standing in front of Tahoe Ed who was flying the P3 at the time. Here's what Tahoe Ed says on the matter ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31359014&postcount=1919

When you look at the P3 next to a P2, you see that the landing gear position is different. Tiny difference, but noticeable to someone with a keen eye. The led panel is smaller and the Phillips head screw location is recessed deeper. There are enough changes to warrant an entirely new mold of the same dimension and general shape. Or a modified mold. Regardless, there are shell differences. The only guys at DJI who know what the hell they are talking about are the owners and engineers/designers instead of the talking heads. Hopefully, along with wiring, the inherent weaknesses around the motors got addressed. Probably not, but I'm hoping. I don't mind replacing parts here and there from wear. Same as on my car. But I like replacing shells as often as I like replacing chassis on my car. That is beyond unacceptable on uncrashed craft. As for the other BS people complain about, it's mostly solved by waiting for GPS lock and flying above trees. I have over 300 zero crash phantom flights and the only issues on my phantoms have been stress cracks around the motors. Fly them enough and they crack. No need to crash for those to show up. Just a hair more thickness would go a long way. Besides, with ever more powerful motors it is easily handled.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31