P3 Standard - Gimbal roll error after flex cable repair

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I want to know what is causing my gimbal to be limp. The whole story follows.
So, I recently bought a P3 standard almost for free, because the owner had crashed it. The only culprit left from the crash was the broken gimbal roll arm and the torn flex cable(I had no camera view from the app+the connection to the app reset itself every few seconds, but it could fly fine!). So, I ordered a new flex cable and roll axis gimbal arm, and put them together after watching some videos with instructions. All the pcb's and the connectors looked fine(I have an electrical engineering background and I am very hands-on, if it matters). The flex cable is fitted perfectly inside those connectors. Also, I checked all the motors and they don't have any obstruction and move freely.
Now, when I powered up the drone, for the first time, I had a normal connection + a nice camera view! The only problem is that the gimbal did not seem to move(like it should when initializing), and presented me in the app with "Gimbal roll error (...refer to DJI for hardware support etc etc)". It also does a very slight hissing sound, like if a motor is vibrating(maybe?)(not to be confused with the beeping sound the gimbal motors make because of the error). I tried to calibrate the gimbal from the app, but the app lags there(I cannot exit, I have to restart the app) and the gimbal, again, doesn't move. Either way, I flew some test flights outside, and everything(including the inside the app) works fine except the gimbal(doesn't move to stabilize, is completely limp and it's pitch cannot be controlled by the controller). I also noticed that when I move the pitch of the camera by hand, it shows in the screen of the app(encoder there is working! dont know how to say for sure about the roll axis encoder though.).
I tried to pull the logs from it, and I also post some screenshots from the app. Any help greatly appreciated!

344298875_1667476523693557_7726733854413365145_n.jpg
344118435_198173269711876_1629509065028165596_n.jpg

Here are the original .dat files:(FLY303,313 and 316 are after installing flex cable, while FLY285.dat is without the gimbal connected at all.)
phantom flight logs - Google Drive

Update: DJI support replied "For this issue, please make sure the DJI GO is the latest version: DJI GO - Download Center - DJI, and the firmware of aircraft is the latest version. Then please calibrate the gimbal, restart the APP and try to change another mobile device.". And of course they did, because we are long after its EOL, I dont blame them.(I did all those things: tested on a new device, downloaded *again* from the official link, and restarted the app. As I said in the previous post, gimbal calibration is not working at all)
I took some photos of the ESC roll control board:
1683807924250.jpeg
1683807944710.jpeg

I also measured the feedback potentiometer inside the ESC board of the roll axis: it shows stable values between ~1 and ~3ΚΩ, and the voltage is also stable between 1.5 and 3.3ish V.

1683807996230.jpeg
1683808020393.jpeg
I visually inspected the flex cable of the roll motor itself, seems fine.
1683808058289.jpeg
1683808090765.jpeg

I also checked for continuity between the three phases of the motor succesfully(maybe they' re at a star configuration?). This at least means that they are indeed not damaged(the wires).
(Also note that the other four wires do not show continuity from one another, neither to the three phases. I dont know if they are somekind of hall sensor/feedback or helping coils or something similar. If you know what they are write it below)
1683808140273.jpeg
Finally, I did the normal aircraft startup with the pcb of the roll axis completely removed. Same behavior from both the drone and the DJI app. Also, strangely, the buzzing noise (i mentioned in last post) continued, and it is probably coming from the pitch motor(as far as I can tell by touch). Is there any chance this buzzing is normal behavior? Thanks for reading this long.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Yup, same here but mine just had that happen purely while sitting unused. no crash or other disaster. just sat for 2 years and started acting up. sat for 2 more and gimbal is dead. Sounds like there is no cure to the problem. Sad as hell as everything else works like new in the drone and i loved that machine. I bet if we sent one to DJI they could tell us what's wrong but it is not in their interest to be fixing old units and telling us how. They want to sell new ones. I wonder if new ones come with any crippling limitations compared to Phantom 3 from 7-8 years ago, like altitude etc. Anyone know?

Yup, same here but mine just had that happen purely while sitting unused. no crash or other disaster. just sat for 2 years and started acting up. sat for 2 more and gimbal is dead. Sounds like there is no cure to the problem. Sad as hell as everything else works like new in the drone and i loved that machine. I bet if we sent one to DJI they could tell us what's wrong but it is not in their interest to be fixing old units and telling us how. They want to sell new ones. I wonder if new ones come with any crippling limitations compared to Phantom 3 from 7-8 years ago, like altitude etc. Anyone know?
Does it show the same message in the app?

no error messages of any kind in the app. i am giving up, thinking of buying one cheap used but then afraid it too will have its gimball broken or will break soon. so infuriating, the whole drone works like new, except the stupid gimbal

Hummm?
You must have figured it out since you disappeared.
What did you find?

Rod ..

Reactions: pilotr77
No, unfortunately the opposite... I couldn't figure it out, so I sold the drone to someone that didn't need the gimbal functioning, only the camera. It would be wiser for someone to just buy all replacement pcb boards for the gimbal, if selling it is not an option...
I ended up buying a P3A that had suffered a cash and had a stuck IMU and bricked controller. I fixed the controller(reflashed USB board firmware) and the IMU(some knocking in the Y axis which was stuck solved it for me), and now I have a fully functional drone instead of the poor P3S mentioned above.

Reactions: RodPad
Well, after my P3SE decided to RTL through a tree, I have a broken off gimbal (roll arm snapped in half, obviously flex ribbon cable ripped). Tried to use cannibalised ribbon cable and roll arm+board from P3 Standard, I managed to power up the camera, but get the "gimbal roll error" messages. Now waiting for a new replacement ribbon to arrive in the post... Is there a difference in P3S vs P3SE ribbon/camera/gimbal hardware ? Visually they look identical, even though DJI claims P3S is 2.7K and P3SE is 4K camera. Could it be just firmware differences?

Assuming the greater bitrate 4K needs, I suppose that the ribbon cables differ. An example is the P3 Advanced ribbon cable, which you can see has more physical connectors for the camera than the ribbon cable of P3S.
But this is just an assumption.

Hum
"gimbal roll error" If a new cable doesn't fix it, you still got a problem.

The P3A is 2K.
Amount of connectors, I will look between a P3S and a P3A.

2K / 4K, I don't have a 4K to look at.
Data rate, shouldn't matter.
Length of the cable and where they make the bends?

Rod ..

"gimbal roll error" If a new cable doesn't fix it, you still got a problem.
where is the gyro sensor for gimbal ? built into camera? any other sensors in motor boards?

Also off-topic, but looking at your signature block - P3A + Litchi ? How ? I bought Litchi only to find that it doesn't want to know anything about P3 series.

Since you didn't start this thread.
I will send you a pm and add somebody that might no your gimbal questions.

Rod ..

I received replacement flex ribbon and the yaw arm, reassembled the gimbal. It powers up fine, but at initialization, camera jerks around then settles to point all the way down and on a crooked angle. Please see the photo. And the gimbal calibration does nothing...
Found on youtube CycloneFPV suggesting re-aligning the motor shaft in the potentiometer on the motor control board - didn't help. Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
IMG_20230803_202757_1.jpg

You can see though the camera?

Your symptom now.
I have been there, have really had a lot of that stuff apart, it was all between 3 P3A's.

I'm going to look for some P3 guys, that I know will have the info.

BTW, You can connected now with your remote?
That would good to know.

Rod ..

You can see though the camera?

Your symptom now.
I have been there, have really had a lot of that stuff apart, it was all between 3 P3A's.

I'm going to look for some P3 guys, that I know will have the info.

BTW, You can connected now with your remote?
That would good to know.

Rod ..
Yes, connects fine, I can see through the camera, and the drone status shows "ready to fly" :) so it doesn't seem to realize gimbal is messed up. Certainly not reporting "gimbal error - contact support".

Hum, well stuff I don't remember yet.
Hey guy you got any thoughts for ip_droning, kind of goofy he wasn't the OP.
Anyways, you got anything. :)👌
Thanks.

Rod ..

I haven't figured out to help this guy any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rod ..

Did you get anywhere and are you still here?
This is the most I have tried to help someone out.

Rod ..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl