Mavic Release Discussion

So I have to ask because I don't know and have never tried them. I've read a lot of posts and threads saying stay away from folding props on the phantoms. How come nobody mentioned it here? Are these different than what was previously available?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Probably because they're designed correctly.

Doesn't look like a sun shade will be easily installed either which is just silly to me. You'd think a company would be paying attention to forums like this and know that most people use them and maybe make something standard to help with the sun.

Yes, it looks like no sunshade would be adaptable...unless it would cover the entire RC too.
Or, do they think that the RC positioned on top of the phone would provide enough shade?
Maybe, they would make available for sale...of course, another adapter that would allow a small tablet to be used.
Could that USB slot in the RC be there for this purpose?

Last edited:
Maybe the newer ones remember what level is. I don't know. I just know how my birds are.

The problem I see here is the low design of the body of the copter. It looks like it's barely an inch from the ground. This would make it very limited as far as taking-off and landing is concerned. Won't this defeat the whole purpose of its portability if we always have to look for an almost flat surface to take-off?
Please don't get me wrong...the Mavic still looks like a "game changer". Although I see some major mishaps here, I'm still very interested on the actual reviews of users once it's already available for the public.
I really wished they hadn't sacrifice on the quality of the camera. Would have been "almost" perfect!

Last edited:
The problem I see here is the low design of the body of the copter. It looks like it's barely an inch from the ground. This would make it very limited as far as taking-off and landing is concerned. Won't this defeat the whole purpose of its portability if we always have to look for an almost flat surface to take-off?

From some video I've seen it looks like it's going to be ridiculously easy for hand launches and captures.

Yes, it looks like no sunshade would be adaptable...unless it would cover the entire RC too.
Or, do they think that the RC positioned on top of the phone would provide enough shade?
Maybe, they would make available for sale...of course, another adapter that would allow a small tablet to be used.
Could that USB slot in the RC be there for this purpose?

Yeah. The Casey video showed it has a lightning port in the handle and the phone just plugs in. He also mentioned a USB port if the phone don't fit in the port. I guess it could be adapted eventually for tablets but how comfortable will it be leaning on or reaching around the sides of anything larger than a phone to get to the control sticks?

Please don't get me wrong...the Mavic still looks like a "game changer". Although I see some major mishaps here, I'm still very interested on the actual reviews of users once it's already available for the public.
I really wished they hadn't sacrifice on the quality of the camera. Would have been "almost" perfect!
We don't know yet if camera quality is any different. And hand launching is the way to go if you're off the beaten path with the Mavic. Should be even easier to do with the smaller controller and lighter drone weight.

Well it has put Karma out of business. Would be interesting being in the Go Pro board room watching the Mavic release.

I have my doubts you will see Mavic (weird name btw - Mavic is a French Bicycle wheel mfg) put Karma/GoPro out of business. IMO they are both built to suit specific needs and applications. Of course both are for the most part used for aerial filming and photos and lets face it - Go Pro has a pretty good camera and name as far as that goes.

Seriously when some say Mavic will be a Karma eliminator/killer - you truly have to consider the value you will receive for dollars spent also. I'd say Mavic was built to be a drone - no different than the intent of the Phantom line and has limitations the Karma does not have - insofar as filming and photography go.

Go Pro's Karma is also a drone, with a serious option that includes a camera and gimbal that is capable of removal from the drone that can be used in different combinations - not limited to the drone only.

Now considering value for dollars spent.............

When comparing the pricing for both units (full package) - Karma has $1,099.00 usd package that includes the Drone, Controller, GoPro HERO5 Black Camera, on board Stabilizer Gimbal, a hand held Stabilizer Arm, Go Pro attachments and a carry case.

Then we have the Mavic which has the $1,299.00 usd loaded package which includes everything to include the controller a carry case and an additional battery.

If you want to compare "apples to apples" with respect to the intent of both these units - in order for Mavic to have the same options for the camera alone that Karma provides, you would need the full load Mavic package + a 4k Camera and an Osmo which takes you into the $1,850.00 usd range. I think considering Karma offers all that in the $1,100.00 usd range should be something that will keep them in the market and competitive with Mavic. Especially when considering price and value point which is my intent here.

No doubt there will be some that will point out the "follow me" and other autonomous flight modes the Mavic has along with other Phantom inherited staples, longer battery life etc - but what I am attempting to do here is simply have people consider the intent of both units & dollars spent Vs value. They will both provide what we want as to filming and still photography and the thrill of flying a drone - I like to consider the value of one Vs the other, and thinking along those lines - I'd say the Karma offers more regarding same (value).

I for one have both the P3A and a P4 - and love em. The addition of "obstacle avoidance" and "follow me" (sort of does) etc on the P4 were great selling tools - however in my opinion and based on my own experience with the P4 especially - they are not IMO, deal makers or breakers when it comes to purchase of one.

Some of these points and others were made in an article I read somewhere and I cant remember where or by whom - however I will say I do agree when it comes to the value aspect and just like Mavic won't destroy the Phantom Line (as some say) - it won't destroy or eliminate the Karma either from the consumer market.

We don't know yet if camera quality is any different. And hand launching is the way to go if you're off the beaten path with the Mavic. Should be even easier to do with the smaller controller and lighter drone weight.

Firstly, hand-catching-landing involves quite a "lot of risk" which I think should be done only when really in a tight situation...like in a boat. Have you checked on the video of a famous international singer/celebrity who got into a mess with the copters props? Bloody!
As far as the quality of the video is concerned, it might be worthwhile if you checked on the comparo at YouTube.

Firstly, hand-catching-landing involves quite a "lot of risk" which I think should be done only when really in a tight situation...like in a boat. Have you checked on the video of a famous international singer/celebrity who got into a mess with the copters props? Bloody!
As far as the quality of the video is concerned, it might be worthwhile if you checked on the comparo at YouTube.
hand catching is easy for others you have to be able to chew gum and walk and the singer just a idiot

Reactions: WetDog and kmaluo
From some video I've seen it looks like it's going to be ridiculously easy for hand launches and captures.

Hand-catching-landing involves quite a "lot of risk" which I think should be done only when really in a tight situation...like in a boat. Have you checked on the video of a famous international singer/celebrity who got into a mess with the copters props? Bloody!

Yeah. The Casey video showed it has a lightning port in the handle and the phone just plugs in. He also mentioned a USB port if the phone don't fit in the port. I guess it could be adapted eventually for tablets but how comfortable will it be leaning on or reaching around the sides of anything larger than a phone to get to the control sticks?

I agree, a tablet probably won't be used much by Mavic pilots. The supplied TX looks more suited to a smart phone for portability. :cool:

One option could be mounting a tablet on a tripod.:(

Since the Mavic uses the same app as we do, I wouldn't be surprised that we can use our Inspire, P3, or P4 TX with a tablet or pad that we've been using for the other birds. ;) Saw it on the Internet...

Reactions: Kima kim
I agree, a tablet probably won't be used much by Mavic pilots. The supplied TX looks more suited to a smart phone for portability. :cool:

One option could be mounting a tablet on a tripod.:(

Since the Mavic uses the same app as we do, I wouldn't be surprised that we can use our Inspire, P3, or P4 TX with a tablet or pad that we've been using for the other birds. ;) Saw it on the Internet...

Yeah, my middle-age eyes need the larger screen of my iPad Pro. Portability is great, but having a hard time picking out smaller details on your video feed could be a problem. But then that's why DJI is pushing their new goggles. Should make for an incredible experience, but I'll hold onto my P4 and see if the goggles work with that first.

Reactions: Fplvert
Hand-catching-landing involves quite a "lot of risk" which I think should be done only when really in a tight situation...like in a boat. Have you checked on the video of a famous international singer/celebrity who got into a mess with the copters props? Bloody!
When you practice it, it's not very risky at all. I've done it a hundred times on my P3. Trust me, it's easy after you've done it a few times, and take common sense precautions. And since the blades on the Mavic fold and have less mass than Phantom blades, there will be way less carnage if a mishap freakishly does occur.

When you practice it, it's not very risky at all. I've done it a hundred times on my P3. Trust me, it's easy after you've done it a few times, and take common sense precautions. And since the blades on the Mavic fold and have less mass than Phantom blades, there will be way less carnage if a mishap freakishly does occur.

Only in really tight situations I just might. I don't want to take "unnecessary" risks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor