Mavic Release Discussion

Attachments

• IMG_0680.PNG
    IMG_0680.PNG
    647.4 KB · Views: 363
We can all get it for certain. In a few months there will be better drones, and again, and again.
Technology moves forward, always!
phantom 1 was great, phantom 2 was + great, phantom 3 was ++ great, phantom 4 was +++ great, mavic is ++++ great.
Does it goes to end now?
If you want to have the best you are going to buy drones at a very high speed :)

yes

What I like yes no more cracked shells the dome for camera will be protected,and here in Canada paying over 200.00 bucks for a battery is just insanity.i can buy 2 Mavic batts for the price of one p4 or p3. But for me I will wait to buy the Mavic.maybe spring time.will wait and see what people has to say about this new bird?

No info=no feature.

I think once past the gopro cameras audio is not an option on these drones. Besides, what is there to capture? The sound of the motors spinning against the wind in surround?
The Mavic is way quieter than a Phantom. Always much easier to use as a handheld stabilizer. I wouldn't be surprised if DJI surprised us with audio and a detachable handle.

I would hold off on comparing the video quality until more units get into reviewers hands and the first production model comes out. All the marketing material leads one to believe that the camera is just as good as the P4.

True, but from what little is available right now, the Mavik's image quality is inferior to the Phantom. Only by a little, but a little can make a huge difference in a sale to a client.

Wait and see is good wisdom, I think. For my purposes, $1000 or more is a bit too much to roll the dice on until the Mavik consistently proves itself. And I get the sense that by the time that happens, we'll have a new Phantom everyone will want.

The Mavic is way quieter than a Phantom. Always much easier to use as a handheld stabilizer. I wouldn't be surprised if DJI surprised us with audio and a detachable handle.

This is insane...Not aimed at you but people asking if it's waterproof, stating it's small enough to tape on top of a helmet, will record audio because quiet, taking their desires for reality, beating the crap out of the Phantom....

People should simply ask themselves, and this thread clearly shows a lot of them don't even bother: Do I need a Drone? What do I want to do with it? Am I going to try to make money out of it if used commercially? Will it allow me to capture the shots I always dreamed of?

I wonder how many of us are ACTUALLY into filming or aerial photography as a hobby or ever been near an R/C model (let a lone a flying one) before these appeared. Feel the joy of building and equipping a model over weeks and months sometimes, often pricier than today's Phantoms and Karmas, to crash it during its first 5 minutes of flight only to start all over again.... How many people buying the latest iPhone with dual cameras for depth-of-field to end up shooting selfies and skyping on the 1MP front camera!

Get real people!

Last edited:
I've been on the verge of buying a P4 as my first serious drone for awhile now, but I'm definitely going to go with the Mavic. The reason ties back to the old saying that "The best camera is the one you have with you." With its small form factor I'll be able to bring the Mavic with me when I travel, backpack, backcountry ski, etc. much more easily, and will be much more likely to capture the kind of footage I'm buying a drone for.
Good point and well said about the best camera is the one you have with you. Lugging the Phantom around is like hauling a DSLR along with all the accessories, lenses, flashes etc, the Mavic is like having an iPhone with you. It might not deliver the exact same results however, pretty darn close and a whole lot more convenient.

Last edited:
This is insane...Not aimed at you but people asking if it's waterproof, stating it's small enough to tape on top of a helmet, will record audio because quiet, taking their desires for reality, beating the crap out of the Phantom....

People should simply ask themselves, and this thread clearly shows a lot of them don't even bother: Do I need a Drone? What do I want to do with it? Am I going to try to make money out of it? Will it allow me to capture the shots I always dream of?

I wonder how many of us are ACTUALLY into filming or aerial photography as a hobby or ever been near an R/C model (let a lone a flying one) before these appeared. Feel the joy of building and equipping a model over weeks and months sometimes, often pricier than today's Phantoms and Karmas, to crash it during its first 5 minutes of flight only to start all over again.... How many people buying the latest iPhone with dual cameras for depth-of-field to end up shooting selfies and skyping on the 1MP front camera!

Get real people!
Wow, that was quite a ramble, Lol. FYI, I fly 3D helicopters and know the joys of crashing, rebuilding, and flying. It's not silly to think the camera may have an audio circuit built in, especially when DJI knows it's competing against GoPro.

Wow, that was quite a ramble, Lol. FYI, I fly 3D helicopters and know the joys of crashing, rebuilding, and flying. It's not silly to think the camera may have an audio circuit built in, especially when DJI knows it's competing against GoPro.

You're right and I apologize to you, as said it's not about your post or even your feature wish as it's not the most unreasonable one either. Just overreacting to the amount of crap stated in this thread, I probably should stay away from it but can't resist at times....

Reactions: kmaluo
engadget has the hands on: DJI's Mavic Pro takes on GoPro's Karma with smart features
seems this thing has lighbridge if the range is around 4miles! holy cow.
so whats the advantage over the phantom 4?
Just guessing but i think the P3 will be more stable in higher winds due to it's higher weight. I could be wrong though as the smaller Mavic may present less resistance. But if you've ever flown in a Cessna 150 or 152 yoiu know how much more stable (and heavy) a 172 or 180 is when it gets a little windy.

Just overreacting to the amount of crap stated in this thread, I probably should stay away from it but can't resist at times....

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak out and remove all doubt."

Abe Lincoln

Reactions: M1shootr
So I have to ask because I don't know and have never tried them. I've read a lot of posts and threads saying stay away from folding props on the phantoms. How come nobody mentioned it here? Are these different than what was previously available?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So true. I've been saving for the P4, but now I've decided to go with the Mavic (the $999 version). It'll be so much easier to take on trips .Have a San Francisco trip in July, it's definitely coming with me. Gonna get shot shots of Napa, Sonoma, Sausalito, Carmel and Big Sur.

Shots of Big sur will be amazing! I live couple of hours away from Big Sur and hoping to drive down on a weekend soon enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor