Lever Centering

Reaction score
I updated the software and selected new controller. Then I added a small ball bearing to the back of my lever, and put a detent in the base. I works perfectly for knowing where the center is, which stops the camera tilt.

Lever fix 2

Lever Fix 1

Painfully simple. I tried a few things, made the back of my controller look like swiss cheese, and gave up and mod-ed in a dial controller. Where were you a few weeks ago? Great job and very clean!

I saw a guy on Facebook that did the same thing. He even had a pencil in his pictu..... HEY! Wait a minute!

that's genius.
Let me know how that goes.

Also, try over calibrating for smooth tilting. You can do it by removing the guide/restrictor plate - over calibrate and then reinstall the guide/restriction plate. This will reduce sensitivity.

It looks like it's worth a try but how can you guarantee getting the hole exactly in the right position to stop the tilt?
I bet if I tried it I'd make the hole where it was still tilting the camera :shock:

I think you can calibrate it to make sure the detent physical position is the don't-move logical position. You may have to be a little creative with the calibration to achieve this (ie, perhaps don't move it all the way to one side), but I think it could be done, provided you aren't too far off.

Fourblade, in the photo above, you can see Fritz drilled a tiny hole through the lever. If you do that first, you can position the lever in the correct position and mark it with a dot through that hole. Then just drill a divot at the dot.

I've never done it to this device but have in other situations...
My method:

Once you have the lever in the correct position,
Lock in place with tape, etc.

You drill through the lever and the radio housing at the same time.
Now you have the exact alignment.

Use other drill or other tool to create the recess in the lever for the ball and the housing for it to 'snap' into by using the first hole(s) as the centering position.

It's up to you to not drill too deep to hit some important electronics, or place a barrier to prevent, or remove rear cover, etc.

Hello, if i updated the gimbal firmware to latest can this mod make absolute movement?
Thx and regards

lukode said:
Hello, if i updated the gimbal firmware to latest can this mod make absolute movement?
If you have absolute tilt, you don't need this mod. However, it is my understanding that, if you upgraded the gimbal software, you no longer have absolute tilt. I was lucky and saw the warning before I could upgrade.

I am on a business trip, but can measure the ball when I return, if anyone's interested. And yes, I drilled a small pilot hole thru the lever and the base to assure the center. I wish I read about not doing the gimbal software update, so I didn't need to do this. DJI should offer a patch, so people can switch back.

AerialIris said:
Sad day, hacking a hack. I'm hoping they fix the gimbal update.

can you explain absolute movement ?

I dont understand.

thanks

AerialIris said:

That's likely not to happen since they just came out with the new controller with the built-in gimbal dial.

robinb said:
AerialIris said:

can you explain absolute movement ?

I dont understand.

thanks
The original rear-mounted lever takes the camera from horizontal at one end of the lever range to vertical at the other end of the lever range. The speed of the tilt is controlled by how fast you move the lever in either direction. That is "absolute tilt."

The new software creates "relative tilt." The spring-loaded wheel on the new transmitter, or the rear-mounted lever on an old transmitter, defaults to the center position, and at that position there is no tilt movement, and the camera remains at its current position. Move it slightly off center in either direction, and the camera slowly tilts up or down from it's current position; the farther you move the wheel or lever in either direction, the faster the camera will tilt up or down from its current position.

Clear enough?

Anyone have any thoughts on how to add a spring to this level so it pulls itself back to the center when released?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31